Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

McVey & Oxborough

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julian

Julian Report 20 Dec 2007 18:30

Hi I have decided to start my family tree as both my parents passed away last year.To start with will be my dad and in the hope of finding any connections.My Dads name is Jack Leonard Oxborough born in Northampton 1932-2006.My mum married name was Dorothy Oxborough born 1928-2006 known before as Dorothy McVey and Dorothy Cailes.

Frances

Frances Report 21 Dec 2007 10:42

the best thing is to get there birth certs it will have there parents names on them and were they lived. its a start in tracing them back good luck.
fran

Julian

Julian Report 21 Dec 2007 12:51

Thanks Fran.
Have all the details i needed to start off the tracing process.

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 21 Dec 2007 13:27

Julian,

If you have all you need, what exactly is it you require from us?

Julian

Julian Report 21 Dec 2007 21:15

Hi Wayne
I wanted to find out about the birth and deaths of my dads and Mums relations and not certain how to retrive those details from using genes reunited.I want to find out the birth date and the year of death of my grandparents to start with.I used the options on here but nothing has come up.My grandmother was called Connie Oxborough and my grandfather was called Leonard Oxborough'

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 21 Dec 2007 23:06

Oh Julian if onlt life was that easy!

First you need your parents birth certs to find out your grandparent's names.
From there you find your grandparents marriage. get a copy of that, find their birth, get copy birth certs & so on.
GR will only show you other members with the same names in their trees it does not give you information although if you are stcuk, other members will try to help you.

Julian

Julian Report 21 Dec 2007 23:16

Thanks Claire my grandparents are Connie Oxborough and Lenonard Oxborough from my dads side.Now need to sort out my grandparents from my mum's side.That will be tough lol.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 21 Dec 2007 23:19

Her parent's names will be on her birth cert. If you don't have it you will need a copy from the GRO.

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 22 Dec 2007 02:38

OK Julian,

What do you have so far?

You need to help us as much as you can initially... So Connie Oxborough and Leonard Oxborough are your paternal Grandparents.... do you have any dates for these and locations?

Do you have the names of your Mothers parents? and dates to go with that and locations?

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 22 Dec 2007 02:40

This is *probably* your grandfather...

Births Mar 1913 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oxborough Leonard, mmn Eggleton Northampton 3b 73

Your mother was born a McVey?

Dorothy M McVey, mmn Fellenore, Newton Abbot, 3Q 1928 5b 181

**If the above is your mother this is her parents marriage...

Beatrice L Fellenor & Cornelius McVey, Newton Abbot, 1Q 1928 5b 230

*may be* your Cornelius...

Births Mar 1897 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McVey Cornelius Ormskirk 8b 887

Julian

Julian Report 22 Dec 2007 03:02

Hi Wayne
Thanks for looking into this and yes it is.

Connie Oxborough maiden Tablot. my grandmother
Born 1913
Her mother's maiden name is Rodden.my grandmother first name is Constance but she wanted to be called Connie.Her birth was registered at Edmonton.

Leonard Oxborough my grandfather
Born 1913.
His mother's maiden name is Eggleton
His birth registered at Northampton

Hilda Oxborough My Aunt still looking into.

Dorothy May Oxborough my mum.
Born 1928-2006 in Devon
Her mother's maiden name was Beatice Loiuse McVey Born 1906-1991 in Wales,maiden name Fellenor.Worked in hotels.

Her mum married
Cornelius Mcvey
Born 1906?
Worked in banks.

My mum said she had a aunt she was very close to

Ellsa May Fellenor

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 22 Dec 2007 03:07

you appear to have alot of information already... what exactly would you like to know from all that?

If you are wanting to go as far back as the census records you will need certs to ensure you have the correct parentage of the people you have details for. This will also give you names and dates for going further back and ensuring you take the correct route through the Census reports.

Just a small note.... Records have your Great Grandmothers (Leonard's mum) maiden name as Eggleton...not Aggleton

Where does Hilda Oxborough fit into all this? Is she Leonards Sister or Daughter?

Julian

Julian Report 22 Dec 2007 03:19

Wayne you came up with my mum's dad Cornelius McVey born 1897 in Ormskirk(Not sure where this place is lol) But over the moon you found the year my mum's dad was born.My mum was born with the name Dorothy McVey.Sounds like or maybe my mum's dad was Irish as McVey is a Irish name and was told that i was part Irish.Not certain what year her dad passed.

Hilda Oxborough My Aunt i am interested to find out more about.I was told she was a sister to connie.

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 22 Dec 2007 03:21

Well your Irish roots might ring true... Ormskirk is in Lancashire... a popular route for Irish folk into England... it's a very northern name for England... and yes Irish by decent.

I cannot be sure that is your Cornelius... he was the only one i found which seemed relevant...

As anyone here will tell you... you need to buy certs to be sure.!!

I'll take a gander at Hilda... do you have any dates for her?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Dec 2007 03:21

If Connie's maiden name was Talbot then this isn't her birth:

Births Dec 1913
Oxborough Constance Raddon Edmonton 3a 965

Rose

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 22 Dec 2007 03:24

Rose she wouldn't have been born an Oxborough...she married one?

EDIT... i have just reread Julian's comments... i think he has gotten a little adrift! i'll take a look for the births...

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Dec 2007 03:28

Wayne,

I know but Julian's listed those birth details for her.

He says "Connie Oxborough maiden Tablot. my grandmother
Born 1913
Her mother's maiden name is Rodden.my grandmother first name is Constance but she wanted to be called Connie.Her birth was registered at Edmonton"

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Dec 2007 03:31

He also has his grandparents being born 15 years before his mother in 1928.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Dec 2007 03:34

Here are some other Leonards:

Births Mar 1898
Oxborough Leonard George Burnley 8e 282

Births Jun 1910
OXBOROUGH Leonard Leicester 7a 191

Births Dec 1910
OXBOROUGH Leonard W Yarmouth 4b 26

Rose

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 22 Dec 2007 03:37

Julian i hate to tell you this, but your father was not born in 1935... nor 1936 or 1934....

I'm still looking now