Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pont and Snelling

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 25 Oct 2007 01:24

Hepzihbah Pont b. 1834 Ely Cambridge m Charles William Snelling b.1834 London, stone fitter, in London in 1854. Sometime between then and 1861 they migrated to Australia, probably Sydney, and had six, possibly seven children.

I'm interested in any information on either. I've tracked Hepzihbah in the census of 1841 and 1851, but I have no other info on William Charles. The info I do have is from death and birth certificates of two of their children.

They also disappear from the New South Wales records, so I don't know whether they moved elsewhere in Australia or possibly returned to England.

They were my G Grandparents.
Thanks

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Oct 2007 05:39

How did you find the year of their marriage?

I've tried to find it on freebmd, and cannot find a marriage for either of them!

You really need the marriage certificate to get the names of the fathers, so that we can link up Charles.

This is part of the problem of not knowing the father from the 1841 Census. There are 3 Charles Snelling born in Middlesex (which inlcudes London), of course there is no Charles William .... that would be too easy!!!

Charles Snelling abt 1834 Middlesex, England Stepney Middlesex father Benjamin (no mother)

Chas Snelling abt 1836 Middlesex, England Stepney Middlesex father Joseph mother Emma

Chas Snelling abt 1832 Middlesex, England St Leonard Shoreditch Middlesex father William mother Amelia

It is very probable that the first is yours, but dates can be as much as 2 years out, so it does not rule out either of the other two, UNLESS we knew the name of his father.

sylvia

Michael

Michael Report 7 Nov 2007 22:28

Sylvia - thanks for replying. I got the marriage detail from the birth certificte of one of their children, my grandfather.

I have also not been able to find any reference to either of them in England or Australia beyond the registration of the births of six of their children in NSW - no migration records, no death records.

(NSW bdm is excellent - it provides enough free information to remove most uncertainity, then you can buy a certificate; it's fast and easy to navigate. I've told them they should sell the template).

As you note there are several Charles (and William) Snellings around that time and area, but as I'm in Australia it's difficult to go further on the net. I was hoping someone who had a connection to the Snelling part would be able to fill in the missing info.

We have no info on him or Hephzibah, and, indeed, similarly no photos of my grandfather, who died in a horse accident while his children were all under seven years of age.

Thank you so much for replying.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

regards

Michael

Lewella

Lewella Report 7 Nov 2007 23:19

Have you traced the children's marriages? Some of the girls appear to have married in Waterloo, Sydney.

Lewella

Lewella Report 7 Nov 2007 23:24

Umm, have you seen this marriage registration in NSW BDM. Very strange

Registration No.V1854581 41B/
Date: 1854
Groom: BROWN, THOMAS C
Bride: PONT, HEPHZIBAH
District: MF

Lewella

Lewella Report 7 Nov 2007 23:30

Charles's death

Registration No. 8300/1903
SNELLING, CHARLES W
68 YRS
BOTANY

No parents mentioned

Lewella

Lewella Report 7 Nov 2007 23:42

Hephzibah's arrival

Surname: PONT
First name: Hephzabah
Age 18
Vessel: Tamar
Year: 1853
Reel: 2136, 2465

Lewella

Lewella Report 8 Nov 2007 00:18

From IGI

HEPHZIBAH PONT
Event(s):

Marriages:
Spouse: THOMAS CARR BROWN
Marriage: 13 MAR 1854 Church Of England, , New South Wales, Australia

Michael

Michael Report 9 Nov 2007 22:16

Lewella - Thanks for all that research. I knew about the girls and had tracked their marriages and children as far as I could.

I also knew about the Charles W death in Botany, but it doesn't quite add up with dates.

I didn't know about Hephzibah and Brown's marriage and I hadn't got hold of the Tamar arrival - so thanks very much for that.

The marriage throws the cat among the pigeons.

Her mariage details to Charles Snelling I had obtained from two certificates, one the birth certificate of her son Francis (my grandfather) and the corroboration from the death certificate of her son William.

What is the igi that you obtained the marriage details from?

And - are you in this family or an interested and generous researcher?

regards and thanks

Michael