Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Richardson b 1865 Cootehill, Co.Cavan

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rolf

Rolf Report 4 Dec 2010 17:46

Thomas Richardson was born 12 April 1865 in Tullylurkin, Tullyvin, Cootehill. He was the oldest son of William Alexander Richardson and Susan Drury. I cannot find his marriage or death record, nor does he appear in any census record. He had three brothers who moved to Coatbridge in Scotland and I have found them in the Scottish census for 1901, but no trace of Thomas. Perhaps he emigrated, but I cannot find him in any passenger lists either.

Can anybody help?

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 4 Dec 2010 23:44

Could this be him in l9ll - Liz

1911 census - household transcription
Person: RICHARDSON, Thomas
Address: 14 Hadley Street St Pancras

RICHARDSON, Thomas Head Married
26 years M 46 1865 Jounyman Butcher Ireland VIEW
RICHARDSON, Kate Elizabeth Wife Married
26 years F 45 1866 London Somers Town VIEW
RICHARDSON, Charles Son Single M 24 1887 Jounyman Butcher London Kentish Town VIEW
RICHARDSON, Robert Son Single M 22 1889 Jounyman Butcher London Kentish Town VIEW
RICHARDSON, Florence Daughter Single F 15 1896 Waitress London Kentish Town VIEW
RICHARDSON, Blanche Daughter Single F 9 1902 School London Kentish Town VIEW
RICHARDSON, Doris Daughter Single F 5 1906 School London Kentish Town VIEW

RG number:
RG14 Piece:
676 Reference:
RG14PN676 RG78PN23 RD9 SD1 ED25 SN303

Registration District:
St Pancras Sub District:
West St Pancras Enumeration District:
25 Parish:
St Pancras

Address:
14 Hadley Street St Pancras County:
London

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Dec 2010 02:48

My first question would be -- are you certain he survived infancy/childhood? Is there any evidence that he did?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Dec 2010 02:54

Um ...

Name: Thomas RITCHESON
Birth Date: 12 Apr 1865
Birthplace: 0213,TULLYVIN,CAVAN,IRELAND
Father's Name: William Alexander Ritcheson
Mother's Name: Susan Drewary
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C70125-8
System Origin: Ireland-ODM
Source Film Number: 101107
Collection: Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881

"Richardson"?

Maybe the other sons used the surname Richardson, and Thomas stuck with the original spelling?

These are other children of the couple in question?

Name: John William
Baptism/Christening Date:
Baptism/Christening Place: 202, TULLYVIN, CAVAN, IRE
Birth Date: 28 Mar 1867
Birthplace: Tullyvin, Cavan, Ire
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C70131-8
System Origin: Ireland-VR
Source Film Number: 101147
Reference Number: 2:J82LT3

Name: Margret Jane
Baptism/Christening Date:
Baptism/Christening Place: 203, TULLYVIN, CAVAN, IRE
Birth Date: 03 Apr 1869
Birthplace: Tullyvin, Cavan, Ire
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C70138-8
System Origin: Ireland-VR
Source Film Number: 101187
Reference Number: 2:103BDK9

Coatbridge isn't a census location in 1901, and I don't know where it is, except Lanarkshire. Maybe you could reproduce the other brothers' details from that census? and how their births were registered, if you know.

jax

jax Report 5 Dec 2010 02:59

There is also this thread about his brother

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/trying_to_find/richardson/thread/1248113

jax

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Dec 2010 03:14

Oh joy. I love searching around various threads to glean info.

Name: Joseph Richardson
Estimated birth year: abt 1878
Relationship: Boarder
Where born: Ireland
Registration district: Coatbridge
Civil Parish: Old Monkland
County: Lanarkshire
Address: 110c Burnbank St

At least we can confirm that Thomas isn't in the same place under any variation of the spelling, anyway.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 5 Dec 2010 08:19

Rolf...Here is James and family back in Co Caven (1911) looking at the names of his children and those of Thomas (1911 Pancras. Liz47) there's a good possibility that he is your Thomas.

Census Years1911CavanCootehill RuralBelmont Forest, part of, (Rural)Residents of a house
Residents of a house 2 in Belmont Forest, part of, (Rural) (Cootehill Rural, Cavan)

Richardson James George 37 Male Head of Family Church Ireland Cavan Land Steward Read and write - Married - 9 - -
Richardson Florence Mary 31 Female Wife Church Ireland Belfast - Read and write - Married - - 5 5
Richardson Florence 8 Female Daughter Church Ireland *Coatbridge* Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Richardson Susan 7 Female Daughter Church Ireland Cavan Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Richardson James 5 Male Son Church Ireland Cavan Scholar - - Single - - - -
Richardson Thomas 3 Male Son Church Ireland Cavan - - - Single - - - -
Richardson Robert Male Son Church Ireland Cavan -

Susan Drury (daughter of Thomas) married Wm. A. Richardson 21 Jan.1864 Knockbride Co Caven

Rolf

Rolf Report 5 Dec 2010 10:39

Thank you Liz.
It is possible that you have found him. Somehow it had not occurred to me that he might have gone to England. Now I will need to find their marriage record to see if you are right.

Rolf

Rolf Report 5 Dec 2010 11:52

Thank you Janey.
I have no evidence that he survived childhood. I have checked in the GRO in Dublin and I have had help from Cavan Genealogy, but I have drawn a blank. So I am working on the assumption that he emigrated to somewhere. We will see if Liz is right.

I think the Ritcheson spelling has sneaked itself in somewhere and I tend to ignore it. Perhaps the registrar in Tullivin thought that was the spelling, but his father spelled it Richardson. John William I have got covered. He died in 1883. Margret Jane I am unsure of. I have found a Margret J in the 1911 census living with her son Robert in Corraneary, but that is not much to go on.

In 1901 Coatbridge was called Old Monkland and I have found his brothers there and traced them to their deaths. The Joseph you found married Janet Rae in 1904. They emigrated to Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1911-12 and died there in 1956 and 1970.

Thank the Lord there are people who enjoy searching around.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 5 Dec 2010 12:21

Rolf....Where did you get the Birthplace for Thomas as being Tullylurkin'Tullyvin Cootehill from....these places are all individual Townlands and in differing Civil Parishes.but within the PLU of Cootehill (I state "are" as being relative to the timeframe you are searching initially)....
Tullylorcan being in the Civil Parish of Knockbride
Tullyvin T... Civil Parish of Kildrumsherdan
Cootehill T....Civil Parish Drumgoony

Do you have any info on Wm snr....?

Rolf

Rolf Report 5 Dec 2010 12:25

Thank you Christine,
I think you might be right. I will have to check the English records now. Perhaps I will find his brothers Hugh and William Robert and sister Margret Jane in London too.

The Drury side I still have to work on, but that will be more difficult because we are then into Irish parish records.

Rolf

Rolf Report 5 Dec 2010 12:57

Hi Christine,
Thomas's birth record states he was born in Tullylurkin in the district of Tullyvin in the union of Cootehill. I believe Tullylurkin must have been the name of the farm or village.

The only information I have on Wm snr is that his parents were George and Margaret. I don't think I can get any further on-line. We are planning a visit to Dublin and Cavan next year to try and find some more information from the GRO and the CoI library.

We are also trying to establish if Wm A could have been the cousin of George Richardson who won the Victoria Cross in 1859 and emigrated to Ontario, Canada. But that will also have to wait until we get to Ireland, or possibly Ontario. Expensive stuff this genealogy, but we get some interesting holidays.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 5 Dec 2010 20:06

Rolf...
George (VC) was the youngest son of John Richardson, a linen weaver, and his wife Anne, he was born in Derrylane, Killeshandra, County Cavan, August 1, 1831.

Rolf

Rolf Report 6 Dec 2010 10:27

Hi Christine,
That is the information we have found as well. What we want to establish is if William Alexander's father George was the brother of John, the father of George (VC). We have found the death record for George (VC) and his wife in Ontario, but we have not found any descendants so far. I have been in touch with a person in Ontario who claims to be his gg grandson but he seems to have forgotten about our search.

It also turns out that the Thomas I am looking for is not the one Liz suggested. His father was Walter and that does not match.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 6 Dec 2010 16:21

Did George marry in Ontario or before emigrating? Ontario marriage records (images can be viewed at Ancestry) usually give the parties' parents' names.

http://search.ancestry.ca/search/db.aspx?dbid=7921

Where did he settle in Ontario? (I'm in Ontario, but don't subscribe for Canadian records at Ancestry.)

I'd remove the name of RD in Ontario -- unless he knows he's being talked about here. ;)

Rolf

Rolf Report 6 Dec 2010 21:52

I cannot find a marriage record for him in Ontario at the URL you provided so he might have married before he emigrated. He lived in Stratton. There is some more information about him here:

http://www.iol.ie/~galwill/rchdson.htm

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 6 Dec 2010 23:22

Stratton, I'd never heard of! I find it on google maps, a tiny crossroads up against the Manitoba border. Westminster Hospital in London where he died, I grew up not far from that. ;)

I can't spot him in the 1901 or 1911 census (and it isn't clear where they lived when his wife ded in 1916). The record would say where his wife was born, which could help somewhat to place his marrage.

Okay, Stratton was in Algoma district, as I suspected.

http://search.ancestry.ca/search/db.aspx?dbid=8946

Eliz Richardson year dd mm 1916 Algoma

So it's the one I was looking at, at automatedgenealogy, although the age is well off:

Richardson George M Head M Jun 9 1836
Richardson Elizabeth F Wife M Nov 7 1842

We're in luck, she was born in Ontario. So it looks like they married after he immigrated to Canada, and after his time in Montreal.

Not knowing where he was in Ontario, though -- he's not in the 1881 census in Algoma district, so he must have married elsewhere -- it's hard to spot a marriage ... especially when I can't see the details. ;)

... Although, you already know his father was John, so I guess it doesn't really matter!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 7 Dec 2010 17:52

Rolf ...We seem to have deviated from finding Thomas et.al but I dont know if the following re George (VC) is of any value to you or if you already have the info.George emigrated to Canada 1862 and re-enlisted in the army 1865 (Prince of Wales Royal Rifles) his address in May 1891 was Vankoughnet PO Oakley Ont. ...

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 7 Dec 2010 18:06

That info is all at the link Rolf gave above ... it's what I was going on. ;)

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 7 Dec 2010 18:18

Rolf ...I have found some previous threads you posted relative to the Richardson's (Coatbridge) specifically Joseph who married Janet Rae...Can you confirm or clarify...(Sept) Joseph ? died WW1...Janet (Paisley 1963)
(Nov)...Joseph and Janet emigrated to Winnipeg...? Did you have any addresses for him in C.Bridge
I ask because I have found a Joseph Richardson...(Ire) living at North Row Summerbee Coatbridge in 1912.....