Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confused

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 10 Apr 2008 15:24

Hello everyone. In a search for my grandads family I found his death certificate on records but there is no record of his birth. Does anyone know a reason for this, maybee born in another country or something? Its Lewis Leonard Anderson if anyone can look for me.
Thanks,
Lisa

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 10 Apr 2008 15:26

which area are we looking for,

Karen

Vera

Vera Report 10 Apr 2008 15:26

Hi Lisa,
What age was he when he died....also where did he die.?

Regards Vera

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 10 Apr 2008 15:29

Is this the one?

Lewis L Anderson mmn Maccloum
1938 Jan/Feb/Mar E Retford 7b 6

Andy

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 10 Apr 2008 15:31

Lewis L Anderson b. Jan Q 1938 (actual birth was in the previous year according to his death record) mothers maiden name MacCloum East Retford district 7b 6.

There you go.

x

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 10 Apr 2008 15:32

Snap Andy lol

Lisa

Lisa Report 10 Apr 2008 15:32

Hello, sorry, its yorkshire area. He lived in Bradford and died in Pontefract in 1998. His father was named Elias and he had a brother Terrence who died at a young age in the army.

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 10 Apr 2008 15:34

Just wondering Lisa - where were you looking for his birth? If you were relying on FreeBMD it only goes up to the 1920s at the moment. His birth was easy to find using the indexes on Ancestry - manually searching through the quarters of the registers. I often think laterally about for instance if a child was born towards the end of the year they might be registered in the start of the following year. So if you cant always find what you're after - always look at least a year or two either side.

x

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 10 Apr 2008 15:35

That is his death reg in 1996:

Name: Lewis Leonard Anderson
Birth Date: 28 Nov 1937
Death Registration Month/Year: Jan 1996
Age at death (estimated): 58
Registration district: Pontefract
Inferred County: Yorkshire
Register number: B25D
Entry Number: 258

Lisa

Lisa Report 10 Apr 2008 15:37

Thanks alot Mrs T. I will try looking for later years but to be honest I cant find anything apart from his death and marriage. Is there any reason his birth might not have been registered?

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 10 Apr 2008 15:43

Sorry Lisa - but the death ref I found is the only one for a Lewis Leonard Anderson in Pontefract - it gives his date of birth as 28th Nov 1937 - his birth was registered in the next year - 1938 - the details that Andy and I posted - in the Jan/Feb/Mar Quarter of 1938 - common for children born towards the end of one year to be registered in the start of the following year.

It gives his mother's maiden name as MacCloum.

He may well have lived in Pontefract area for many years - but not necessarily have been born there.

Lisa

Lisa Report 10 Apr 2008 15:49

Thanks alot. I dont know anything about his family so didnt know where to start my search! I know he had North American Indian decent but I was told he was born in this country. It could be him you have found, I will look into it.
Lisa

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 10 Apr 2008 15:51

Well if he died in 1996 in Pontefract - then the birth I found register in 1938 is pretty certain to be him. It may be that his parents were from America - worth getting his birth cert to confirm both parents names and double check the date of birth - hopefully it should be the same as the date on the death record.

Lisa

Lisa Report 10 Apr 2008 15:55

Yes I will do that, thank you. The date of birth you gave me is correct, I asked my gran and its the same day as my uncles birth so its definately him. I am just trying to find any relatives as we all live in Newcastle now so its a bit harder.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Apr 2008 15:56

Lisa just because he lived in Yorkshire doesnt mean he was born there, East Retford is Nottinghamshire and Retford is about 34 miles from Pontefract so its within an nearly local journey.

Its 60 miles from Bradford so still within a journey ride.

Your grandads birth must have been reg and i would say this is most probably the right one

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 10 Apr 2008 15:58

It would be worth asking your Gran as much as you can about his family - such as when did Elias die? What was his wife called etc? I cant stress enough the importance of asking as many living relatives as possible - especially before its too late! All my grandparents died before I began my research so I've not had that luxury!

x

Lisa

Lisa Report 10 Apr 2008 16:00

Yes shirley, I think it is him. I know his father was North American Indian so if he had just come to the country, he could have started off anywhere. Just know he lived in Bradford up until he and my gran split.

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 10 Apr 2008 16:02

I also must point out that I think MacCloum might be a mistranscription on the registers as running searches for that name is pretty fruitless!

Hopefully once you get the birth cert you will have more to go on!

Lisa

Lisa Report 10 Apr 2008 16:04

I have asked my gran for information but she is very vague. Only likes to tell me what she chooses. Since I started looking up my tree, I found out...my gran was dissowned by her family beacause my grandad was not fully white...he was in borstal when my mother was born and I have an uncle who was adopted at a few months old.
So my gran is not really keen on sharing information with me in case I find out anything else ha ha.

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 10 Apr 2008 16:05

I'm not having much luck finding a Native American Elias Anderson on the US censuses - did your grandfather have any older siblings?