Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help please!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 29 Apr 2008 21:05

Im trying to find my grandparents parents names. How do i go about it?
My grandparents are Frederick Charles westley born 1909 in west ham, he married Ivy Jones born 1910, also in west ham. They married in West ham 1931.
If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.
Karen

Victoria

Victoria Report 29 Apr 2008 21:18

Karen,

You need to purchase the wedding certificate of you grandparents as this will give you both of their father's names and possibly some siblings if they were witnesses.

Best Wishes

Jane

Victoria

Victoria Report 29 Apr 2008 21:20

Or you could buy your grandad's birth certificate

Frederick Charles M Westley
Year of Registration: 1909
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: West Ham
County: Essex, Greater London
Volume: 4a
Page: 241

Best Wishes

Jane

Karen

Karen Report 29 Apr 2008 21:21

Thanks Jane, i have ordered it but not got it yet, is that the only way? Will it give their ages tho and how will i find their mothers names? Sorry im new to this
Karen

Karen

Karen Report 29 Apr 2008 21:25

Yes thank you i have seen both of their birth certs on here and marriage, not bought those yet tho, i wanted to make sure i had the right ones from the marriage cert first
Karen

Victoria

Victoria Report 29 Apr 2008 21:26

The birth certificate should give you both parents names and then you can look for their marriage

Best Wishes

Jane

Dea

Dea Report 29 Apr 2008 21:26

Birth cert will usually give - address at birth + name of mother + name of father + occupation.

Dea x

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 29 Apr 2008 21:28

Karen.
If you look at a birth cert it gives both parents names.Mothers maiden name.If the mother wasnt married it would only give her name unless the father went with her to the reg office.
Then the birth is registered in the fathers name and mothers name

Both will be found on the indexes with both names but the reg number will be the same.

As to"Is it the only way"
Births after the 3rd qt 1911 give mothers maiden name on the indexes

Karen

Karen Report 29 Apr 2008 21:30

Ok when i get the marriage cert i can then order the birth certs, reason ive not so far is on my mothers BC my nan is just ivy but on here shes under ivy elizabeth so wanted to make sure i had the right one!
Karen

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 29 Apr 2008 21:34

Sometimes people marry using just thier first name. Or sometimes they marry using the name they are known by. I have a marriage for Annie.

I couldnt find a birth for her as she was also Annie on the census.

It was only after being contacted by a relative I found her real name was Phoebe Ann. The relative had her birth and death certs

Karen

Karen Report 29 Apr 2008 21:36

Yes i know but on the birth registration she is ivy elizabeth, its the only one born in west ham, unless she wasnt born there!
Karen

Karen

Karen Report 29 Apr 2008 21:36

No she was born 9th may 1910

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 29 Apr 2008 21:42

Ivy Elizabeth Jones 1910 june qt West Ham gro ref 4a 2(56)0. Obviously the transcriber wasnt sure about the reg no.
Unfortunately when I check on the image it isnt showing the correct one.

The best think would be to order the cert from the West Ham office. The ref no. wouldnt be the same as the one on GRO

Karen

Karen Report 29 Apr 2008 21:43

Its what my sister told me she said she has her birth cert, but where shes moved cant find it and she lives the other side of the country or id go round and look for it myself!!
She also thinks ivys mums maiden name was page but i cant find anything to prove that
Karen

Karen

Karen Report 29 Apr 2008 21:44

Yes Margret thats the one i thought it was too
Karen

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 29 Apr 2008 21:48

Did Ivy have any siblings? If so are they older than her? We might be able to find a Page /Jones wedding if we can narrow it down?

Remember though siblings can be as old as 26 years apart as my grandmothers eldest sister was

Victoria

Victoria Report 29 Apr 2008 21:48

What about this one, not quite page but pape!!

MASON Archibald West Ham.4a 631 3 1904

PAPE Susan Anna M West Ham.4a 631 3 1904

WEBBER Olive Louisa West Ham.4a 631 3 1904

WESTLEY Ernest Edward West Ham.4a 631 3 1904

Not to be ruled out anyway! But am not sure if you are talking about the jones side if so way off.

Best Wishes

Jane

Karen

Karen Report 29 Apr 2008 21:56

I have no idea on siblings, thats what im aiming at finding on both sides of the family.
I found webber and earnest before and logged them just in case.
Karen

Karen

Karen Report 29 Apr 2008 22:09

Oh she was born 1913? I did say i wanted to be sure from the marriage cert!
Wow !!
God i wouldnt have known where to start, thank you so much
Karen

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 29 Apr 2008 22:17

Well done Pamela. It just shows how careful we have to be about birth dates.

Good job your sister mentioned Page for mothers maiden name