Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

original birth record image

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 8 Sep 2008 16:36

Please would someone be able to check the original image for
Hubert arthur Lambe
june q 1894 brentford
I think it says page 98 but not certain as its blurry and gro say its not on the page no i used, as per freebmd which was no 8.
just want to double check that i have the correct page no this time to not waste more money
thank you very much in advance
vivienne

Artbeat

Artbeat Report 8 Sep 2008 16:42

On ancestry the 8 is clear the 9 is not, Although i would say it is a 9.

richard.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 8 Sep 2008 16:44

Hi Viv,

Looks like 58 to me on find my past.

I must email you later,

Dee xx

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 8 Sep 2008 16:45

Vivienne, I would say it was 98. I do some transcribing and I would have recorded it as 98.

When you looked on FreeBMD did you also check the original scan? I would recommend you do this before ordering any cert.

Jennifer

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 8 Sep 2008 16:45

thats where i looked and thats what i think it says too , thank you for looking richard
vivienne

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 8 Sep 2008 16:46

page 58 perhaps?

Liz

Liz Report 8 Sep 2008 16:48

I would also say 98.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 8 Sep 2008 16:49

I think you can order without ref numbers if it is unclear ?

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 8 Sep 2008 16:50

You can e-mail a dept at the GRO about unclear images before ordering, they will confirm the details for you.

Will have to try and remember the e-mail address. (It is somewhere on the GRO site, but I can never find it).

Sue C

Sue C Report 8 Sep 2008 16:52

I have had a look on findmypast, and it looks more like a 5 to me.......but again, very unclear. I think the person who typed this out had a slip of the finger on the keyboard because the first number is smaller (in size) than the second.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 8 Sep 2008 16:56

argh!!! now im confused do i go 58 or 98
rutland belle,ive never been able to get freebmd up large enough print so i normally use ancestry but didnt double check that one first.
dee, this is the chapman known as lambe one and please do email when you have time as its got even more confusing but i KNOW this is the right one this time
every thing clicks except everything doesnt
the tearing sound is my hair coming out and did the parents have a good time ,i was ther yesterday.
so 58 or 98
think ill go with the transcriber lady first
thank you all
vivienne

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 8 Sep 2008 17:00

Viv, when you get the scan up on FreeBMD you can enlarge it by scrolling within the image.
FreeBMD seems to be down at the minute as I have been to check and can't get on, but I'll keep trying.

The other thing is to try the local record/reg office. They keep their records differently but if you explain they may be able to find it as you know the quarter and year.

Jennifer

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 8 Sep 2008 17:03

if i order without refs wont they charge LOADSA money lyndsey? or i know
ANYBODY NEAR BRENTFORD REG OFFICE????grovel grovel.
your as untidy minded as me then kif!!!!
thanks again all and any more offers are welcome to make me even more confused
vivienne

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 8 Sep 2008 17:07

ive got it.!!!!!
in one hour i will tot up the 98s v 58s and go with the largest vote
i cant get on freebmd either so it must be down
vivienne

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 8 Sep 2008 17:12

Viv, I just tried to find Brentford and unfortunately to make things more difficult there is no longer a Brentford Reg District.
It was abolished : 1.10.1947 (succeeded by Ealing, Harrow, Middlesex South and Willesden districts)

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 8 Sep 2008 17:16

so my luck is running true then!!
but he was born in ealing that i do know
viv

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 8 Sep 2008 17:21

I have blown it up on Ancestry to 200% to compare with the 5 above and the 9 below and I think I'd still go with 9. On the number 5 above the top part of the number slopes backward as it does with this 5 but it doesn't do that on the one you looking at.

And I thought hand written scans were difficult to read!

Jennifer

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 8 Sep 2008 17:24

In reply to deleted post above;

Certificates are not held at the records office, only at the local register office.

Brentford and Brentwood are completely different places, Brentwood reg office do not hold Brentford bmd registers

Potty

Potty Report 8 Sep 2008 17:26

Just to point out that the freebmd ref isn't 8 but _8, meaning that the transcriber couldn't decide what it was either!

As a transcriber, please can I ask people always to check the image - we are only human and do make mistakes!

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 8 Sep 2008 17:26

This is on the Elaing Council web site:

http://www.ealing.gov.uk/
Certificates
Records of births, deaths and marriages are available from the Ealing register office. Certified copies can be obtained in person, by post or by telephone using a debit or credit card.

Ealing register office, Ealing Town Hall, New Broadway, W5 2BY
Tel: (020) 8825 7272
Office hours: Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm.

To obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate by post please print out and complete the relevant form and enclose a stamped address envelope and £7 (in sterling) for each certificate (cheque or postal order only). Cheques and postal orders should be made payable to the Superintendent Registrar.

Birth certificate (pdf), death certificate (pdf), marriage certificate(pdf)

Forms should be sent to the Superintendent Registrar, Ealing Register Office, Ealing Town Hall, New Broadway, W5 2BY.

Historical records
How to obtain records for registered births, deaths and marriages for historical searches.

Have to go and walk the dog now, so off line for a while

Jennifer