Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LOOK UP PLEASE - EMIGRATION TO AUSTRALIA

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marion

Marion Report 6 Dec 2008 04:28

Trying to trace IVY AMELIA HINE born 1899 in Wandsworth London who was married to John N Ryan. They emigrated to Australia sometime between getting married in 1919 and 1936. Would also like to find out if they had any children. Please can anyone help...
Maz

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 6 Dec 2008 04:56

Hi Maz

on findmypast.com. passenger index

RYAN Ivy 1899 F 1937 London Australia Melbourne

On Australian National archives a bit more information
http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/PassengerReport.asp

Name RYAN, Ivy Amelia
Port of embarkation London
Port of disembarkation Melbourne
Date of arrival 05 Oct 1937
Ship Maloja

No other Ryan's on this voyage.

bye Helen

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 6 Dec 2008 05:17

John Ryan's WW1 service records are available to view on www.naa.gov.au . Go to record Search, then Search as a Guest, for John Ivy Ryan. There's even a copy of their marriage details (on page 64). Same address given on the marriage cert as on the passenger list above (5 Twilley St). Date of marriage 18-1-1919.

Richard

Marion

Marion Report 6 Dec 2008 05:19

Thank you Helen have been working on this one for sometime much appreciated.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 6 Dec 2008 05:22

Not seeing any Ryan children on FreeBMD with MMN of Hine.

Rose

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 6 Dec 2008 05:28

John was from Victoria, Aus. They obviously met during WW1. John arrived back in Aus on 11/9/1919, and I would guess that Ivy would have followed him soon after, if not at the same time. Presumably the 1937 crossing was a later return home visit?

Address given in Aus: 11 Bank St, Prahan, Vic.

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 6 Dec 2008 05:30

Hi again

The only thing close for her husband is ;

Name RYAN, J J Mr

Port of embarkation London
Port of disembarkation Melbourne
Date of arrival 25 May 1937
Ship Oronsay

Perhaps he came on ahead? Sorry cannot find anything more definite.

bye Helen

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 6 Dec 2008 05:32

No Helen his middle name was Norman - see service records on www.naa.gov.au

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 6 Dec 2008 05:38

No Ryan children with MMN Hine (or Hines or Hinz) on Victoria BDM.

Marion

Marion Report 6 Dec 2008 05:38

Thank you everyone for all this excellent information.

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 6 Dec 2008 05:43

There's a John Norman Ryan death in Victoria in 1967. (online.justice.vic.gov.au).

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 6 Dec 2008 06:03

Yes the 1937 list looks like a return visit, as this is her travelling Aus to UK (intended address given as 5 Twilley St):

Name: Ivy Ryan
Birth Date: abt 1899
Port of Departure: Brisbane, Australia
Arrival Date: 30 Apr 1937
Port of Arrival: London, England
Ship Name: Strathnaver

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 6 Dec 2008 06:12

2 hits for John Norman Ryan and 7 hits for Ivy Amelia Ryan on the Australian Electoral rolls on Ancestry (all in Victoria). Maybe someone with access to those records could get the details...

Marion

Marion Report 6 Dec 2008 06:14

Richard in Perth..... Was John Ryan in the Army or Air Force? sorry I can't quite make it out!

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 6 Dec 2008 06:24

Army - 6th Regiment, 4th Field Artillery Brigade. Service no: 16086. His complete service records are online (all 81 pages) at the site I gave above - have you found that OK?

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 6 Dec 2008 06:46

I just saw in his records - on page 80 - that his wife returned with him to Australia on board "Canberra" - embarked 23/7/1919, disembarked Melbourne 11/9/1919. So she did come back with him in 1919. Therefore, any kids were likely to have been born in Victoria, if they in fact did have any. The Victorian births are only online up to 1907 (I'm sure that it used to be up to 1924?), so it will be difficult to find out unfortunately. Your best bet would be the death cert of John Norman Ryan in 1967. You can download this from online.justice.vic.gov.au for $15 and it should list any children if indeed there were any.

Cheers,
Richard.

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 6 Dec 2008 08:51

Hi Maz

This is interesting - it looks like Ivy remarried:

Surname: FIELD
Given Names: Ivy Amelia
Father: Hine Frederick
Mother: Amelia RUSSELL
Death Place: KEW
Year: 1977
Reg Number: 10808
Event: D

Possibly after John's death in 1967, or maybe they divorced???

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 6 Dec 2008 08:53

Ah just checked the disc and she remarried to Wm Hy George FIELD in 1938 (reg 2411).

So assume they divorced. Two possible remarriages for John Norman RYAN in 1938 & 1939. Let me know if you would like details. As Richard mentions, his death cert would have all these details (children, spouses etc)

Cherilyn

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 6 Dec 2008 09:30

And now thanks to what Cherilyn has found you can also download Ivy's death cert. and also her 2nd marriage cert. Her death cert should give details of any children that she had.

Marion

Marion Report 7 Dec 2008 00:47

As I am new to all of this I thank Richard & Cherilyn for your help.
Richard I now know the first date Ivy arrived in Australia 1919 thank you. I am unable to find my way to page numbers on the site you gave me.
Cherilyn I would love more information on remarriages for John if you could please.