Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage of Reginald Bertie Barton

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laura

Laura Report 4 Jan 2009 20:38

Hi,
I am trying to find the marriage of my great grandfather Reginald Bertie Barton B:1901Newmarket to my great grandmother Ethel Goyns - they definatly married as my great grans surname become barton but i am unsure of year or location of their marriage and cant seem to find it. Any help much appreciated.

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 4 Jan 2009 20:41

If it was before about 1925, you should be able to find it on freebmd

Just enter the surnames.......and click 'find'

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

BUT....just because the lady changed her surname, it doesn't necessarily mean that they actually married!

Teresa

Teresa Report 4 Jan 2009 20:42

Hi,
Just because your g-grandmother changed her name it does not mean they definitely married - sometimes they fibbed.
My father was aghast when I had to tell him that I didn't think that his Granny B ever married - even though she calls herself wife on her 'husbands' death certificate and registered her daughter with her 'maiden name' listed implying that she was married.

Teresa

Laura

Laura Report 4 Jan 2009 20:43

thanks for your advice - i dont think it would be on there though because my great gran was born 1910 - she would only be 15. is there any other way of finding out?

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 4 Jan 2009 20:46

Don't dismiss the idea of freebmd until you have looked...............some areas are transcribed for later years..........

Laura

Laura Report 4 Jan 2009 20:47

oh!! id hate to find out that! Im pretty sure they would have married - or so i hope. Thanks for being honest though

Teresa

Teresa Report 4 Jan 2009 20:47

I've looked on Freebmd - not there

Laura

Laura Report 4 Jan 2009 20:49

Yeah thanks.i just looked too not there!! :-(

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 4 Jan 2009 20:57

Do you know the name and birth year/birthplace of their eldest chlid?

Laura

Laura Report 4 Jan 2009 20:58

Hi, can anyone find the birth of Ethel Goyns for me? I know that she was born 18th feb 1910 near durham but is there something that can confirm that - its not on freebmd?im juts wondering whether she is a goyns?

Laura

Laura Report 4 Jan 2009 21:00

There children were boadecia barton and felicity barton born around the 40's in newmarket? is that enough information. They also had a son 'Eric' but apparently he was not theirs? soooo confusing!

Teresa

Teresa Report 4 Jan 2009 21:02

The only Ethel Goyns marriage I can find on freebmd
Ethel Goyns
Year of Registration: 1919
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Spouse's Surname: Clish
District: Easington
County: Durham
Volume: 10a
Page: 807 (click to see others on page)

probably not the correct one but you just never know.

Goyns is a very unusual name - could they be jewish

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 4 Jan 2009 21:05

I think someone was fibbing about the name..........I can't see a birth for a Goyns matching your criteria

Where did you find out about her birth date?

Laura

Laura Report 4 Jan 2009 21:06

Well my great gran was a christian i know that because i used to go tochurch with her so not jewish. Maybe her surname was not goyns. Her father was almost certainly william stephen goyns who married 3 times, i believe the 2nd wife was my g.grans mother but dont know her name. I think her dad William had a sister Ethel also so i thinkits thatone you have found the details for.

Teresa

Teresa Report 4 Jan 2009 21:08

the only Ethel I can see being born is in 1896.in Easington Co Durham. Are you sure about her age?

Laura

Laura Report 4 Jan 2009 21:10

Ericthered,
I found her birth date from her. I used to live just down the road from her until she passed away - would i find this info on her death certificate?

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 4 Jan 2009 21:10

Two marriages...............

Marriages Sep 1896 (>99%)
Goyns William Stephen Easington 10a 641
Knight Catherine Mary Easington 10a 641
Robinson Margaret Ann Easington 10a 641

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Jun 1906 (>99%)
Goyns William Stephen Easington 10a 879
GLEGHORN Susannah Easington 10a 879
MARTIN Mary Alice Easington 10a 879

And a third.................

Marriages Mar 1920 (>99%)
Goyns William S Paramor Easington 10a 977

Teresa

Teresa Report 4 Jan 2009 21:10

Ethel who married in 1919 maried a man called William Clish. Does this ring any bells?

Teresa

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 4 Jan 2009 21:11

Her DOB should be on her death cert......BUT........it will only be 'as known' to whoever registered the death, so it may not be accurate...........

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 4 Jan 2009 21:14

I think you need the 1911 census!