Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

America Help Please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 12 Mar 2009 22:34

Have search for G G Granny for the last 3 years, she's finally been found in New York on the 1900 census.

She's declared that she's been living in USA since 1888 but-

How do I find her death?
How do I find if she became an American citizen?
How do I find out how she got there? Who she went with?

Sorry but I'm clueless on the USA & I always thought that G G Granny was tucked away in Scotland!

Thank you

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 12 Mar 2009 22:35

Claire, would you like to post details and we can have a look?
(I'll be back in a few minutes.)

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 12 Mar 2009 22:47

Thanks Lisa

Her name was Mary Ann Neil, she's on the 1900 census as Mary Nell

She was born in Ireland about 1832 although the census says 1827 in Scotland.

She's living with John & Agnes Montgomery (both down as born Scotland). Agnes was Mary's daughter & actually was born in Ireland in 1858.

I have John & Agnes' marriage cert 27/09/1878 Glasgow & the family bible showing Agnes's birth

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 12 Mar 2009 23:02

Hi Claire. Are you sure the 1900 Mary Ann is your Mary Ann, and not a coincidence of names?

In the meantime, I'll have a look around. :)
---------------
That census return does show John and Agnes being married for 22 years, which fits in with you information.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 12 Mar 2009 23:07

Lisa, John & Agnes's DOB's tie up, Mary's down as Mother in Law & they are living in the same area as Agnes' sister Martha.

Now Martha was easy, she made regular visits back to the UK (Ellis Island), the addresses given tied up with another sister

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 12 Mar 2009 23:14

Don't know if any of this helps

Mary had a son John Neil born 1867 Glasgow. We know he was near his Mum in 1887 as he registered her 2nd "husband"'s death in Scotland

Agnes had a son John born 1879 in Scotland but we think she brought up her sister's daughter Agnes Davidson born 1886 in Glasgow

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 12 Mar 2009 23:14

There is a Mary Ann Neil, arriving in Canada in 1888. I cannot view further details.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 12 Mar 2009 23:15

Canada? She was quite a girl!

Thank you for trying Lisa, much appreciated

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 12 Mar 2009 23:20

Hi Claire:

Did John and Agnes stay in the States?
What was Mary Ann's maiden name, please?
----------------------
Claire, I don't know the time frame, but quite a number of people immigrated to Canada, then came to America - it was less expensive to travel this way.
(By time frame I mean, I don't know if that was during the potato famines, or just during the 1800's in general.)
-----------------
I'm not finding John and Agnes in 1910. I was hoping Mary Ann might be with them. If you believe John and Agnes were still in the states during that time, I can search further.

Artbeat

Artbeat Report 12 Mar 2009 23:29

Just in case you can not view details that lisa found for 1888.

Mary ann neil aged 52 arrived 8.7.1888 quebec on board the norwegian.
Left from glasgow.

On board with her was.
Martha neil 24.
John neil 21.

richard.

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 12 Mar 2009 23:30

hi claire and lisa
this one?

birth is a bit late?

Name: Mary Ann Neil
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1836
Date of Arrival: 8 Jul 1888
Vessel: Norwegian
Search Ship Database: View the 'Norwegian' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: Quebec and Montreal, Quebec
Port of Departure: Glasgow, Scotland
Roll: C-4536

on image she states shes a housewife and is travelling with ,,martha neil age 24

[[edit ah yes ,richard spotted the john that i missed

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 12 Mar 2009 23:30

Mary's maiden name was Miller

We know from her children's births that the family moved from Ireland sometime between 1862 & May 1863

Mary's husband died in 1872

1881 she's on the Scottish census as Mary Ann Blevins born 1841 Ireland. 100% it's her, she's living with David Blevins & shown on his death cert as his wife.

David was about 20 years younger than Mary hence she lied about her age & I'm convinced they didn't marry.

I'm so cross with my Granny, she must have know all about this but decided not to share her info even though she was grilled!

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 12 Mar 2009 23:33

YES! That's her!

That's her daughter Martha mention a few posts above & her son John.

Thank you all so much for your help.

Anyone know how/if I can find if she became an American citizen?

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 12 Mar 2009 23:36

Regarding the spelling of Nell on the census, there are quite a few "odd" spellings of names on this page. Nell might have been the closest he could come to spelling it correctly.
----------------
Do you know if John and Agnes were in the States in 1910? Maybe she was still living with them. Usually it shows if people become citizens. it appears that Agnes and Mary Ann were not citizens in 1900. John was naturalized which I THINK means he was applying for citizenship (or he had already become a citizen).

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 12 Mar 2009 23:40

Sorry Lisa, I don't know if John & Agnes left America but I suspect they stayed. I know that Martha remained in America

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 12 Mar 2009 23:42

If you didn't already state Martha's full name, may I ask that, so I can search for her? Still looking for Mary Ann to be living with someone. ;)

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 12 Mar 2009 23:43

sorry claire, but i have to,, pass,, on the citizenship

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 12 Mar 2009 23:46

Martha Neil married David Lang born 1864 Scotland. I have no marriage cert as it was in America but Martha made a trip to Scotland which gave her sister's address & I had some family info.

Martha & David had the following children

Mary 1892
Agnes 1893
Alexandernia 1895
William 1897
Florence 1900

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 12 Mar 2009 23:48

Claire, in case you need to go to sleep soon, after I've looked for Mary Ann, do you need any help with Martha and David's children?

Back to trying to find Mary Ann and John and Agnes.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 12 Mar 2009 23:51

Lisa Any help with anything is appreciated, I lost incoming journeies when I renewed my Ancestry.
Had I even thought that Mary had gone to America, I'd have got Worldwide but I thought she was washing laundry in Scotland somewhere not living in New York!