Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 22 Apr 2009 19:29

Hi wondered if anyone can help:
1901 Census
Charles Umpelby age 35
Born: Kennington, London
Address: 41 Windsor Street Islington
What is a 'Human Skin Dresser'?

LindyLoo2

LindyLoo2 Report 22 Apr 2009 19:33

Hi Carolyn, do you think it could be something to do with bandages??

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 22 Apr 2009 19:39

Not sure, there is some other writing on the census but can't make out what it says thought it might be main tailor but i'm really not sure.

Maxine

Maxine Report 22 Apr 2009 19:41

Hi Carolyn,
Skin Dresser:- An obsolete bookbinding term for the workman who shaved or pared leather.

The mind boggles at what a Human Skin Dresser did!!

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 22 Apr 2009 19:45

Thanks for that Maxine, various thoughts had been going through my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Apr 2009 19:51

I have enlarged it and I think it is actually Human Hair dresser...ie probably something to do with wig making?

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 22 Apr 2009 20:08

Yes I enlarged it as well but thought it looked like skin, couldn't make out what the other writing was 'mai? tailor'
Any ideas?

LindyLoo2

LindyLoo2 Report 22 Apr 2009 20:43

Just taken a look and it does look like human skin dresser to me - or shin, but that doesn't make sense!
Linda

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Apr 2009 20:46

I think the H of hair is so looped it does look like Sk...and that the word following is actually 'hair' where the enumerator has tried to clarify it... definitely 'tailor' underneath, but I take that to be for his wife...mantle maker mantle as in 'cloak' I assumed

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 22 Apr 2009 20:49

A Tatooist maybe! The mind runs riot!

Annx

Blue1

Blue1 Report 22 Apr 2009 21:19

Hi every one,
please excuse me for butting in,but i'v been following this thread from the beginning and trying to find out what a Human Skin Dresser was as well,but no luck
I can't wait to find out what it is though.
I thought it was maybe something to do with embalming!
Good luck
Blue

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 22 Apr 2009 21:51

Just had another look at the census and agree that the 'tailor' is for his wife as she is a mantle makers machinist so that fits but if you look where it says 'Human Skin Dresser' there is another word written which I can't make out. Has anyone got any ideas as to what it says? It looks like Mair to me but I havn't a clue what it means.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 22 Apr 2009 21:56

I think it says 'Hair'.

Beginning to think I'd had too much red wine tonight!
Hope we can sort this out.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 22 Apr 2009 21:58

Do you think it could be to do with making wigs or toupees??

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 22 Apr 2009 22:01

The enumerist obviously had his own idea of what people's occupation was . If you look at some others he writes (printer) next to compositor and (sawyer) next to saw mills.

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 22 Apr 2009 22:08

If it is hair surely in 1901 all wigs were made from human hair and therefore there would be no need to put 'human hair dresser' they would of just put hairdresser. Then again the extra word written does not begin with an H.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 22 Apr 2009 22:15

Human Hair Dresser - yes I think he could be a wig maker. The scrawled word at the end is Hair. These are not written by the enumerator but by the boffins back at head office when collating the information into statistics.

And wigs made from non-human hair were available in the 19th century. Some were made from plant fibres. I'd hate to see what they looked like! And what they were used for. As far as I know barrister's wigs have always been made of horse hair.

Human hair was the most common.

Ozi.

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 22 Apr 2009 22:21

What other type of hairdresser would you get other than human?

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 22 Apr 2009 22:40

1891 census doesn't help with his occupation - porter. have you found him in 1911?

He was an errand boy for his dad when he was a nipper. Dad was a hatter.

Ozi.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Apr 2009 22:52

Dresser 1) A surgeon's assistant in a hospital 2) Operator who assembled the yarns or threads prior to weaving of cloth 3) Assistant to a noble person, preparing clothes etc. 4) In an Iron Foundry, the person who removed the flash and unwanted bits from castings