Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

childrens deaths

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*.*mag*nolia*.*

*.*mag*nolia*.* Report 24 Jul 2009 17:01

I have just had a bombshell dropped on me by a member of my family. My gt grandmother Jane Simpson (nee Finney) from Burslem, later Oldham, who gave birth to 2 girls, my grandmother (1891)and great aunt(1900) lost 6 boys. Apparently they survived the birth but all died under a year old.
Can anyone advise me as how I can start to look for these lost children. They must be registered. I tried Staffordshire BMD, but there are so many, and I don't know their birth dates.
I would be so grateful for any help, no matter how small

Regards
Maggie

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 24 Jul 2009 17:17

If you search deaths on Staffordshire BMD it will give the age and if you know which area you may find some but I think baptism or Burial registers would be the best thing.

Christine

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 24 Jul 2009 17:20

Do you know when they married? Or his name? Could this be them?

Marriages Sep 1884 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finney Jane Prestwich 8d 499
Simpson William Prestwich 8d 499

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 24 Jul 2009 17:23

Hi do you have the family on 1901 census? an educated guess-there is a large gap between your grandmother and great aunt-where there any other surviving children-if not I would have thought several of them would have been between the dates of their births-also as suggested the baptism register would really help you if you can get hold of it-or maybe burials if you can get details of them. Do you know when the parents of these children married?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 24 Jul 2009 17:25

Can you give us the names of your grandmother and gt, aunt?

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 24 Jul 2009 17:30

For ref, is this them in 1901?

1901 England Census
about Jane Simpson
Name: Jane Simpson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1861
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: William
Where born: Leek, Staffordshire, England

Civil parish: Burslem
Ecclesiastical parish: Cobridge
County/Island: Staffordshire

Registration district: Wolstanton
Sub-registration district: Burslem
ED, institution, or vessel: 29
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 261
Household Members: Name Age
William Simpson 40
Jane Simpson 40
Alice Simpson 10
Dora Simpson 1

Christine

*.*mag*nolia*.*

*.*mag*nolia*.* Report 24 Jul 2009 17:32

Hi, thanks so much for replies.
Jane Finney -Birch (almost always known as Finney) married William Simpson 1884 Failsworth (Manchester) My grandmother Alice was born 1891 in Staffordshire and her sister Dora was born 1900 in Staffs. 1901 has them in Burslem. with just the 2 girls,

*.*mag*nolia*.*

*.*mag*nolia*.* Report 24 Jul 2009 17:32

thats them Christine

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 24 Jul 2009 17:37

Deaths

William Simpson abt 1884 1884 Prestwich Lancashire
View Record

William Simpson abt 1885 1887 Prestwich Lancashire
William Simpson abt 1892 1895 Prestwich Lancashire

these would alll be worth checking on a burials register-bearing in mind that they ususally called a first son after the father-and the next and the next-in desperation to cary the name on-may not be-but worth checking out

*.*mag*nolia*.*

*.*mag*nolia*.* Report 24 Jul 2009 17:40

Sorry to sound so thick, but how do I check a burial register ? never had to do it before

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 24 Jul 2009 17:40

street address in 1901 is 5 Grant Street, it might be worth looking on www.streetmap.co.uk to see if the street is still there and then try to find out which the nearest churches were, you may then be able to look up baptism and burial records

unfortunately on the 1891 census they are in Oldham, so no way of telling if they always lived at the same address in Burslem, Alice is with them on the 1891 census as born in Lancs

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 24 Jul 2009 17:44

Dora was registered Wolstanton but there are a lot of deaths under 1 year in the name Simpson between 1891- 1900 so Burials would certanly be the best way.

Christine

*.*mag*nolia*.*

*.*mag*nolia*.* Report 24 Jul 2009 17:48

thank you all for your help. I will certainly try to find the church and take it from there.

Maggie

mgnv

mgnv Report 24 Jul 2009 21:44

I presume your rellie's info came from the 1911 census.

Most churches here aren't transcribed to the dates you're after:
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/indexp.html

Also check
http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/

Re searching on StaffsBMD - if you've got them on the 1891/1901 census, then you know what subregistration district they're living in. If StaffsBMD covers the area, you can rate the likelihood by the sub-rego D where the death(s) was rego'ed.

*.*mag*nolia*.*

*.*mag*nolia*.* Report 24 Jul 2009 21:53

Hi mgnv, 1911 census info ....11 Church Terrace Wolstanton..Dora 11, Jane and William 50. My grandmother Alice was married by then and living in Oldham.
My info on the childrens death came from a relative today, something that they always knew about, but I didn't.Tried Staffs BMD and Lancs BMD, too many to decide which are mine.
Grateful for your input, especially about the church info.
I will find them
Thanks again
Maggie

*.*mag*nolia*.*

*.*mag*nolia*.* Report 24 Jul 2009 22:03

Wasn't going to say this as I found it distressing, but the info I had today...was one of the children died on my grandmothers knee, so guessing she was young at the time. Alice was born 1891, so this child must have been born around 1898-1900 as not on the 1901 census.
I will find them all eventually somehow

Maggie

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 24 Jul 2009 22:05

The 1911 census image will tell you how many children they had and how many still living. Family are not always reliable for information.

*.*mag*nolia*.*

*.*mag*nolia*.* Report 24 Jul 2009 22:14

Hi Quinsgran, in 1911 there was only my gt aunt Dora, living with parents, so no more children then.
Maggie

mgnv

mgnv Report 24 Jul 2009 23:10

Maggie - what Quinsgran means is that the full image of the 1911 census asks how many kids they've ever had.

If you want to see a set free images for a 1911 UK census household, go to:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
and search for any "typical" name in Co Dublin.

CrystalTips

CrystalTips Report 25 Jul 2009 05:53

Hi Maggie,

on lancashirebmd Frank Simpson, mother's maiden name Finney, born 1886 in Oldham (on freebmd March quarter). Freebmd has a death of Frank Simpson, age 0, in June quarter 1886 in Oldham.

Christine