Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stumbling block - looking for family in Douglas La

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 13 Aug 2009 19:00

Can anybody please help with information on - Alexander Hutchison who married a Katharine Morison. I am looking for birth / marriage / death. Their children were Margaret 1791, Jean 1793, Archibald 1796, Alexander 1798, John 1800. I found in the parish records on John. It stated John son of deceased Alexander and Katharine Morison.
I assume that Katharine may have remarried with these 5 children under 9 years of age. I have found my ggggrandfather Alexander 1798 family on the 1841 census. Can any-one please help. with Alexander and Katharine my gggggrandparents. Any help appreciated. The family came from Douglas Lanark Scotland.

Elaine

Elaine Report 14 Aug 2009 12:37

Is there no-one that can help me?
I have tried many avenues to try and get an answer. Maybe I am missing something to get me closer to an answer. The surnames I have found them under are Hutchison / Hutchinson
/ Hutcheson

Alan

Alan Report 14 Aug 2009 12:52

Elaine, I dont really know if this is your relation but its another avenue to explore ?

Name: Alexander Hutchinson
Dates: 1801-1825
Address:
Address: Canon Street, Stockbridge
&Nbsp;Town: Edinburgh
Source Date: 1824
Source Info:
Listed in, [Edinburgh, 1824] The new and improved Directory for Edinburgh, Leith, and Suburbs, from Whitsunday 1824 to Whitsunday 1825; (to be continued annually); containing an alphabetical list of the Nobility, Gentry, Merchants, Traders, and principal Inhabitants. With An Appendix, containing Lists of the Magistrates and Council - Post Towns in Scotland, England and Ireland - arival and dispatch of Mails, Stage-Coaches, and Carriers - Shipping and Insurance Companies - Hackney Coach and Chair fares - Porters’ and Carters’ Rates, &c. &c. With a Street Directory, and a Plan of the City., [1824], ANON., Edinburgh. John Anderson, Jun. 55, North Bridge Street, and William Hunter, 23, Hanover Street

Ancestry.com. U.K. and U.S. Directories, 1680-1830 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2003. Original data: Avero Publications. Biography Database, 1680-1830. Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England: Avero Publications, 1998.

Elaine

Elaine Report 14 Aug 2009 12:53

No Alan they are all born in Douglas and I find that is my problem

Elaine

Elaine Report 14 Aug 2009 12:58

Alexander born in 1798 was a spirit merchant and they lived in main street Douglas. His father who I am looking for I am unsure of his occupation ? miner or work at the cotton mills I think in Wigtown or close by.
Thanks for your help

Elaine

Elaine Report 14 Aug 2009 13:08

Just to add all the family were still in Douglas when my gggrandfather migrated to Australia in 1854 on the Tea Clipper Cairngorm. I have a family photo of his Parents and family his father Alexr b 1798 and his mother Joanna Gold b 1797. Great possession.

sablon

sablon Report 14 Aug 2009 13:12

found this on Igi maybe this is alexanders birth

Individual Record FamilySearch™ Pedigree Resource File

Search Results | Print

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alexander Hutchison Compact Disc #29 Pin #321712 Pedigree
Sex: M

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event(s)
Birth: A1738

Douglas,Lanark,Scotland
Christening: Mar 1738

Douglas,Lanark,Scotland
Death: 15 Jan 1821

Hamilton,Lanark,Scotland

Parents
Father: John Hutchison Disc #29 Pin #321725
Mother: Christian Pate Disc #29 Pin #321787

Marriage(s)
Spouse: Anne Millar Disc #29 Pin #321713
Marriage: 17 Aug 1777
Hamilton,Lanark,Scotland

Alan

Alan Report 14 Aug 2009 13:18

I accept its not your man but the dates are the dates and place of buisiness within the Directories, not birth......................if you have Ancestry you could search "UK & US Directories 1680-1830"

sablon

sablon Report 14 Aug 2009 13:19

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index v5.0
British Isles
Search Results | Download | Print

ALEXANDER HUTCHISON Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth: 16 AUG 1798

Christening: 21 AUG 1798 Douglas, Lanark, Scotland

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: ALEXANDER HUTCHISON Family
Mother: KATHARINE MORISON

Form submitted by a member of the LDS Church. The form lists the submitter's name and address and may include source information. The address may be outdated. Details vary. To find the form, you must know the batch and sheet number.

Source Information:
Batch Number: 7103628
Sheet: 96
Source Call No.: 1235138 Type: Film

Alan

Alan Report 14 Aug 2009 13:23

Are'nt you glad Sablon is around to-day ?

Elaine

Elaine Report 14 Aug 2009 13:44

Thanks Sablon and Alan . I went to the Lds church around the corner from me and ordered in the parish film. That is how I got to where I am today. But Alexander dying in the pregnancy of his last child no death recorded that I could find. If I could find a date of some sorts I will know where to go from there I found a Katharine Morison born in 1759 to a Morison and an Isobel Johnston but unsure at this stage if this is her. I even checked out the Scottish CD but because I did not have a date to start with rather futile. I even bought credits to check out some certificates but not relatives of mine. I think they are either lost destroyed or???.

Elaine

Elaine Report 14 Aug 2009 13:47

Just to add this has been a two year quest. I was hoping oneday that some-one attached somewhere to my family had some info onsite somewhere I have googled and googled every possible thought that I could think of but no luck to date. I have even been on acestry numerous times at the local library. Gros / Scotlands people etcetera etcetera.

Elaine

Elaine Report 14 Aug 2009 13:53

Alan I will check out the Edinburgh site. Maybe I was wrong with my assumptions that everything would come under the Glasgow banner. Not having a sound knowledge of the workings of the different branches in Scotland.

sablon

sablon Report 14 Aug 2009 14:07

i have looked at igi and cannot find anything else that might relate to the family

Elaine

Elaine Report 14 Aug 2009 14:10

There is also a little mystery. My GGGrandfather was born in Carmichael not Douglas. Andrew 1833. All the rest of his family born in and registered in Douglas. I think maybe Alexr and Katharine - just shook hands. I know I have read about a hand ceremony.

Elaine

Elaine Report 14 Aug 2009 14:13

Thanks Sablon for your help.
Happy days Elaine from Oz

sablon

sablon Report 14 Aug 2009 14:15

that first alexander died 1821 are you sure on Johns birth sometimes other children were born and given a deceased chillds name ,

sablon

sablon Report 14 Aug 2009 14:22

so this is your x grand father son of alexander 1798

IGI Individual Record FamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index v5.0
British Isles
Search Results | Download | Print

ANDREW HUTCHISON Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth: 15 MAY 1833

Christening: 02 JUN 1833 Carmichael, Lanark, Scotland

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: ALEXANDER HUTCHISON Family
Mother: JOAN GOLD

Form submitted by a member of the LDS Church. The form lists the submitter's name and address and may include source information. The address may be outdated. Details vary. To find the form, you must know the batch and sheet number.

Source Information:
Batch Number: 7103629
Sheet: 80
Source Call No.: 1235138 Type: Film

Elaine

Elaine Report 14 Aug 2009 14:25

I have a copy of the birth from the Parish register film. for 1800.
It States - John lawful son to the deceased Alexander Hutchison and Katharine Morison his spouse was born on the 19th inst and baptised. The entry in the parish records was June 2 1800.

sablon

sablon Report 14 Aug 2009 14:28

Alexander hutchison 1833 son of
Alexnder hutchison 1798 and joan son of
alexander hutchison and Katherine

yes