Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William & Isabella Stevenson, St. Ninian's Stirlin

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 26 Oct 2009 21:56

If anyone has any information on this family I would be delighted to hear from them. William was born in 1796 and Isabella was Isabella Miller born C1803. I have Isabella's death certificate and their wedding details (1825) and interestingly enough William is mentioned as being from St. George's Glasgow. I also have census certificates but would love to learn a little more about them. Isabella's parents were Nicol and Janet Miller nee Cowan. I cannot seem to find William's death certificate.

Look forward to hearing from anyone with more informaton.

Jean

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 26 Oct 2009 22:00

If you have Isabella's death certificate was she "widow of" or "married to" William? If he died before 1855 you will have to rely of burial records.

Kath

Kath Report 27 Oct 2009 10:23

Hi Jean,
What census information do you have?

Kath

Kath

Kath Report 27 Oct 2009 11:00

Hi Jean,
Found the following births for a William Stevenson 1796

WILLIAM STEVENSON B.14/5/1796 CHRISTENED 22/5/1796 BARONY
FATHER: WILLIAM
MOTHER: MARGARET ???

WILLIAM STEVENSON 15/5/1796 STIRLING
FATHER: JAMES (STIVENSON)
MOTHER: JANET MORISON

Also found other births 1796 but I don't know who the parents were
WILLIAM STEVENSON 1796 GLASGOW
WILLIAM STEVENSON 1796 RUTHERGLEN

Kath

Jean

Jean Report 27 Oct 2009 19:03

Hi Kath,

When Isabella died in 1890 she was 87 and was recorded as widow of William Stevenson Labourer Outdoor.

I have a record of their marriage in 1825 at St. Ninian's and it is from that I saw that William was detailed as St. George's Glasgow.
I also have Census details for William and Isabella in 1841 and 1861 so William must have died between 1861 and 1890. In 1861 he was living in Auchenbowie, St. Ninian's, Stirlingshire. This is why I could not understand why I couldn't find his death cert.

I will have a look on Scotland's people again and maybe come up with something and have a look at those you found for me.

Much obliged for your prompt help.

If I find out anything else I will post it on here straight away.

Regards,
Jean

Kath

Kath Report 27 Oct 2009 19:33

Hi Again Jean,
I has another look on scotlandspeople after your latest reply and found the following.

WILLIAM STEVENSON DEATH 1872 STIRLING BIRTH YEAR 1797
Note it's not St. Ninians, just stirling on the districts.

Can you let me know please if this is your William

Warmest Regards
Kath

Kath

Kath Report 27 Oct 2009 22:16

Jean,
Can you tell me what children William Stevenson & Isabella Miller had?
Dates & places would be great if you know any of them.
It sometimes helps to find the father's parents using the scottish naming pattern.

Kath

Jean

Jean Report 27 Oct 2009 23:45

Hi Kath,

Yes I checked scotlandspeople tonight too and checked the same one as you and this is not my William Stevenson. I have a list of children though fron the 1851census and they are as follows: - Alexander Stevenson, Andrew S, Archibald S, David S, Elizabeth, Isabella S and James S (S for Stevenson of course).

Isabella died in Auchenbowie in 1890 so I have been assuming that William died there too but no luck finding him.

Will let you know if I find out anything else.

Jean

Kath

Kath Report 28 Oct 2009 07:36

Hi Jean,
I have been on scotlandspeople again & I must be missing something here.
Going by the names of the children you have given me, all belong to WILLIAM STEVENSON & ISABELLA ROLLO BORN IN STIRLING COUNTY.
William & Isabella Rollo married 16/8/1825 Stirling.

No births coming up for these names with the parents being William Stevenson & Isabella Miller in Stirling.
I'll have to look at the 1841/1851 Census again as I can't find your family.

I'm certainly missing something.

Regards
Kath

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 28 Oct 2009 09:42

Good morning Jean / Kath

I have been watching here and will have a look on Ancestry (when it comes back online). I'm just wondering about the ages of the 2 Williams and Isabellas. I'll come back after I have a look at the census.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 28 Oct 2009 09:50

Jean, Iam wondering, what was your William's occupation please? It should tell you on Isabella's death certificate.

Looking at Freecen (until Ancestry comes back)

This is the only William and Isabella Stevenson in Stilingshire
But that Isabella is too young even allowing for the "rounding down" of the ages in the 1841 census.

Piece: SCT1841/490 Place: Stirling -Stirlingshire Enumeration District: 3
Civil Parish: Stirling Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Stirling
Folio: 0 Page: 2
Address: St John Street

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
STEVENSON William M 40 Clergyman Outside Census County (1841)
STEVENSON Isabella F 30 Outside Census County (1841)
STEVENSON William M 9 Stirlingshire
STEVENSON John M 7 Stirlingshire
STEVENSON James M 5 Stirlingshire
STEVENSON Isabella F 1 Stirlingshire
COCHRANE Isabella F 25 Female Servant Stirlingshire

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 28 Oct 2009 09:55

Ahha!! Found them, he is down as Wm.

Piece: SCT1841/488 Place: St Ninians -Stirlingshire Enumeration District: 4
Civil Parish: St Ninians Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: St Ninians
Folio: 0 Page: 3
Address: Auchinbowie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
STEVENSON Wm M 39 Ag Labourer Stirlingshire
MILLAR Isabella F 37 Stirlingshire
STEVENSON William M 14 Coal Miner Outside Census County (1841)
STEVENSON Robt M 12 Coal Miner Stirlingshire
STEVENSON Nicol M 11 Stirlingshire
STEVENSON Archd M 9 Stirlingshire
STEVENSON David M M 7 Stirlingshire
STEVENSON Jas M 5 Stirlingshire
STEVENSON Alexr M M 2 Stirlingshire
STEVENSON Jannet H F 4m Stirlingshire

So you know that this is the correct family as they very conveniently give Isabella's maiden surname.

It's also a bit lucky that the enumerator doesn't seem to have "rounded down" the ages, so making it easier to pinpoint possible births for William.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 28 Oct 2009 10:15

In 1851 he is still claiming to be born in Stirlingshire

Name: William Stevenson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1802
Relationship: Head
Spouse's Name: Isabella
Where born: St Ninians, Stirling
Parish Number: 488
Civil parish: St Ninians
Town: Auchenbowie
County: Stirlingshire
Address: Auchenbowie
ED: 16
Page: 12 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 39
Line: 9
Roll: CSSCT1851_103
Household Members: Name Age
William Stevenson 49
Isabella Stevenson 47
Archbold Stevenson 19
David Stevenson 17
James Stevenson 15
Alexander Stevenson 13
Andrew Stevenson 8
Isabella Stevenson 5
Elizebeth Stevenson 3

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 28 Oct 2009 10:18

Same in 1861 But as he is still alive then, his death should be available on Scotlandspeople and will hopefully give his parents names.

Name: William Stevenson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1803
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Isabella
Where born: St Ninians, Stirlingshire
Registration Number: 488
Registration district: Auchenbowie
Address: Cragebrid R Auchenbowie
ED: 16
Household schedule number: 63
Line: 11
Roll: CSSCT1861_65
William Stevenson 58
Isabella Stevenson 57
David M Stevenson 27
Alexander Stevenson 22
Andrew Stevenson 18
Isabella Stevenson 15

Kath

Kath Report 28 Oct 2009 10:19

Hi Roothgather, so pleased you can help!!!
Hi Jean,

The thing is, Jean's 1st post states William Stevenson (Senior) was born in 1796 poss St. George's Glasgow.

If this is him on 1841, he wasn't born until 1800/1802 so I have been looking for the wrong years to find his parents & where born etc...

As I said earlier, I am missing something somewhere because I cannot find the info on SP. Maybe I'm having a bad day!!!

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 28 Oct 2009 10:44

Jean - I'm sure that you have all these census but it is just to show you my line of thinking.

In 1871 Isabella Stevenson is with her daughter Isabella and son-in-law John Campbell but I don't see William. Can't be sure if he is deceased or Isabella is just visiting her daughter.

Name: Isabella Stevenson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1804
Relationship: Mother-in-law
Where born: St.Ninians, Stirlingshire
Registration Number: 488
Registration district: St Ninians
Address: Sauchie Rd No 17
ED: 15
Household schedule number: 18
Line: 6
Roll: CSSCT1871_85
John Campbell 30
Isabella Campbell 25
John Campbell 4
Isabella Campbell 2
Isabella Stevenson 67

By 1881 Isabella is back at the same address as she has lived in since before 1841

Name: Isabella Stevenson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1804
Relationship: Mother-in-law
Where born: St Ninians, Stirlingshire
Registration Number: 488/1
Registration district: St Ninians
Address: Auchenbowie
ED: 9
Household schedule number: 16
Line: 7
Roll: cssct1881_139
John Campbell 39
Isabella Campbell 34
John Campbell 14
Isabella Campbell 12
Mary Campbell 9
Jane Campbell 6
Janet Campbell 3
Ann Campbell 11 Mo
Isabella Stevenson 77

Perhaps she was at the different address as her daughter was pregnant/ due to give birth?

In 1871 the only William Stevenson in the correct area and year of birth that is living alone is the chappie that was Carpet Weaver who was married to Euphemia.

So it looks like your William died between 1861 and 1871. Remember that a death may not necessarily be registered in the area that the deceased lived. It is often registered in the area that the informant lived or the area where the death took place. So, William may have died, for example in the Poorhouse (which may have been in Falkirk or Stirling or some such place) or he may have been at the home of some of his children etc. So, if you have access to the census or you have his children on the census records after they left the parental home look at those areas. If you have to pay to search and view the census for all the children come back and let me know and I will look for them.

Do you know where Isabella is buried? William may be in the same lair. If there is no headstone, then the cemetery department of the local council may hold the records and as you have a date of death for Isabella they may be able to tell you when and who is interred in the lair. Alternately your local library may hold the books of Monumental inscriptions for Stirlingshire (I think there is more than 1). If you live in Central Scotland then a trip to the Mitchell Library in Glasgow may help as I know that they have the Monumental Inscriptions for Stirlingshire. I am pretty sure that Falkirk library also have these. I have been in both of these libraries on a Saturday, if that helps but it was a couple of years ago for Falkirk so perhaps best to check that they still open on Saturdays.

Kath

Kath Report 28 Oct 2009 11:26

From Scotlandspeople.

WILLIAM STEVENSON B. 1802 DEATH 1863 ST. NINIAN'S STIRLING AGED 61.

Kath

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 28 Oct 2009 13:13

Superb Kath!!

That looks really hopeful. If Jean looks at that death and comes back with the details from it we may get further back.

I had wondered if William's age had been calculated from the 1841 census initially (you know the "rounding down" thing but his age didn't seem to be in 1841. He has been fairly consistent with his age on the census. It is always possible that his parish of birth was St. George in Glasgow but by the time of the 1841 census he had maybe lived in St. Ninians for so long that he considered that his parish of birth. There are certainly a few Stevensons in St. Ninians.

When Jean comes back, we'll see if we can get any further back. From my own experience though, I find it very difficult to get back much further than than the late 1700s. At, least with any certainty. But then my family didn't seem to own any land, they all seemed to be ploughmen, shepherds and Ag. Labs!!

Kath

Kath Report 28 Oct 2009 17:56

Hi Jean,
If William & Isabella are buried in St.Ninian's you can contact this address.

St. Ninians New Churchyard Kirk Wynd, off Main Street (B8051), St. Ninians, Stirling Stirlingshire NS797916
Same address for the Old churchyard.
From
www.memento-mori.co.uk/LOCATION%20INDEX.pdf

Kath

Jean

Jean Report 28 Oct 2009 19:45

Hi,

I am sorry that I have taken so long to get back to you today but I just read your postings when I returned from work. Thank you so much for all the info. I was so excited when I saw that William's death certificate had been found, I really cannot understand why I missed it.

Anyway I thought that I would download it from scotlandspeople before getting back to you. It is definitely the William, I was seeking and it states that he was married to Isabella Miller and that he was an Ag. Labourer. Death was notified by his son William Stevenson.

His father was Robert Stevenson Coalminer and his mother was Hamilton Stevenson nee Andrew.

Now at first I thought that Hamilton could not be her first name but it is, how extraordinary is that?

I then tried to find their marriage and lo and behold I found it at St. Ninian's on 31/08/1783. This means that William probably was born at St. Ninians's but I wonder why St. George's Glasgow was recorded on his marriage details. Perhaps he was just working through there then.

I have also had a look for Hamilton's death details. Thought it might be easy with such a name but nothing matches exactly. There is a Hamilton Stevenson in the 1841 Census so this could be her. She is listed as living in Jamaica Street, St. Stephens, Edinburgh age 79.

That is as much as I have had time for so far this evening but thought that as you had both been so helpful I should share this information asap.

Many,many thanks. I will keep you updated onw finds.

Jean