Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

In Need of Help? ... Just ask!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Danielle-Marie

Danielle-Marie Report 18 Apr 2010 22:00

Hi,

I had a similar thread to this a couple of years back now and had tremendous response from community members. Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time recently after starting University last year. Exams are getting closer now though and other commitments have ended so I have more time to search for those pesky ancestors.

I'm willing to search census records 1841 - 1901, BMD records, Hull shipping records, WWI pension records and medal cards, limited parish records, London deaths and burials 1538 - 1980 & The London Times Collection 1788 - 1833.

Will also do general background research regarding eras your ancestors lived in, places they lived, worked, where born, educated, married or died in.

Please provide as much information as you can and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Do bear in mind however that some searches take longer than others and that I do still have a couple of commitments that may mean it takes me anywhere up to 4 days to respond (unlikely but just wanted to point out).

Either leave a note below or if you don't want to broadcast to the rest of the community drop me a private message.

All the best and get in touch
Danielle-Marie xx

PS: I would very much appreciate it if those people who have started their own thread with a question do not also post that question here.

Joy

Joy Report 18 Apr 2010 22:34

That is kind of you.

On free BMD there is a death registration for Francis McCusker, age 54, registered September qr 1916 Paddington District.
Can you tell me anything else about his death and burial, please? His widow is Annie.

tokan

tokan Report 19 Apr 2010 08:35

Thank you so much for the kind offer, would like you to look up the death of MRS ETHEL EDWARDS approx 1969-73 Bethnal green area.born c.1890 so death age would be approx 79-84. thank you so much, look forward to hearing from you.

Jan

Jan Report 19 Apr 2010 08:43

What a boon! I am looking for the second marriage of William Marson born 1809 in Leictershire. His first wife was Harriett I think and she does not appear on the 1841 census. By 1851 William has remarried to Elizabeth and has children. I have looked on FreeBMD and their is an Elizabeth Pickard there Dec 1841 Nottingham but I cannot verify that this is the new wife. On the 1851 census Elizabeth is 28. How can I verify that this is my girl so I can apply for the marriage cert?
Hope you can help
Jan in Oz

jeannie

jeannie Report 19 Apr 2010 13:14

Hi danielle-Marie.
i would love to go to uni, but my children are there.( i work and keep them there.)

justa quick one for you
in the 1901 census
could you look for
Millie SMITH b 1887 wortley in leeds, yorkshire.

she will be living with
joe b 1846
elizabeth b 1856
harry b 1881
william b 1884
fred. b 1889

could you tell me the adress please?

keep up the study
jeannie

Julie

Julie Report 19 Apr 2010 15:30

FOR JEANNIE

Millie Smith
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Joe
Mother's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Leeds; Wortley, Yorkshire, England
Civil parish: Wortley
Ecclesiastical parish: Wortley de Leeds St John
County/Island: Yorkshire
Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View image
Registration district: Bramley
Sub-registration district: Wortley [Near Leeds]
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 265
Household Members:
Name Age
Joe Smith 55
Elizabeth Smith 45
Harry Smith 20
William Smith 17
Millie Smith 14
Fred Smith 12

Address is 20 Mount Grove

Danielle-Marie

Danielle-Marie Report 19 Apr 2010 16:14

Joy,

I have searched the London deaths and burials register but they do not have a Francis McCusker, or any McCusker's of the sort being buried in the period 1913-1920.

The only Francis McCusker they do have died in 1905.

Sorry
Danielle xx

Danielle-Marie

Danielle-Marie Report 19 Apr 2010 16:21

tokan,

A search has turned up two possibilities.

1. Ethel Mary Edwards b.1893 d. 1972 Wandsworth, London

2. Ethel Maud Edwards b.1894 d.1972 Wandsworth, London

Danielle xx

Danielle-Marie

Danielle-Marie Report 19 Apr 2010 17:49

Jan,

I have had a look myself at the 1851 census record you mentioned.

I've also looked at the 1841 record and see that he is living with two children Mary age 5 b. 1836 & Thomas age 2 b.1839 presumably from the marriage with Harriet, whose death record I can't locate.

These two children are on the 1851 census as you will know alongside Jane b. 1846, William b. 1848 and Edwin b.1851. It seems likely therefore that William married Elizabeth in the period 1841-1846.

I subsequently searched for a marriage record and in Leicestershire (where they are living in 1851) there are no matches. In an all county search I came up with three possible matches:
1. Elizabeth Pickard Dec qtr 1841 (Notts)
2. Elizabeth Shaw Dec qtr 1841 (Notts)
3. Elizabeth Shemil Sept qtr 1849 (Birmingham)

The 1849 marriage seems unlikley as it gives a middle name for William and is out of the probable marriage period. The other two are however possibility although It does seem strange that William would get married outside of Leicestershire but then move back to the county.

I then tried to locate the family on the 1861 census but drew a blank on the 1871 census they are still living in Leicestershire and Elizabeth's age is 47 meaning that the age 28 on the 1851 census was correct (it did look a little like 48).

For the 1841 marriage then Elizabeth (whichever one she is) must have only been 18. Her birth date being c. 1823. Free BMD's birth records don't go this far back but I tried a search for both Elizabeth's on the 1841 census using 1823 as the guide birth year.

For Elizabeth Pickard there is a possible one of the correct age being born in 1821 in Leicestershire and still living there with father Benjamin and mother Ann.

For Elizabeth Shaw there are numerous possibles with one being born in 1821, one in 1824 and another in 1825.

In an attempt to reduce the possibilities I imputed both names again for the 1851 census (the correct Elizabeth shouldn't be on it under her maiden name).

Elizabeth Shaw born in 1821 is still living with her parents and the one born in 1825 is also still with parents.

Elizabeth Pickard born 1821 is not living with her parents, neither is Elizabeth Shaw born 1824 whose parents were Joseph & Elizabeth.

Despite all of this therefore I cannot with conclusion tell you whether the Pickard marriage or the Shaw one is more likely as both have strong possibilities.

Sorry that this is so long but with no real results.
Any questions just ask
Danielle xx

tokan

tokan Report 19 Apr 2010 19:09

thank you so much for your swift reply. most appreciated :)

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 19 Apr 2010 20:32

Hi Danielle-Marie,

Thanks very much for your very kind offer. Could you please look up some bmd's please?

Thomas Jekeman / Jackman b 1753 married I think a Mary ? I don't know her surname or where in London they were married. I know they had a son also named Thomas in 1778 in Middlesex if that's a help. Some of his children were born in Longford.

Mary Chid Jackman was born on 14 Nov 1807 her father was Thomas Jnr, if you could find a marriage for her it would also be great.

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,
Regards, Lou

Jan

Jan Report 19 Apr 2010 22:17

Thank you for your quick reply, I have had a look at Family Search re Eliz. Pickard and I now have ruled her out. I did have another look at Free BMD and found another possiblity, Elizabeth Neal, married William Marson Shadlow Vol 19 Page 543 Dec 1839. Could you have a look at that one for me please.
Jan in Oz

Kiwibird

Kiwibird Report 20 Apr 2010 08:40

Danielle please could you check out the WWI Pension Records and Medal Records For my Grandfather. EDMUND RILEY born 21/01/1896 Trawden,Colne, Lancashire. Sent to serve in The Balkans 29/9/1915 was a Private reg no 5291 in the 9th Lancashire Fusiliers. Was discharged 13/3/1916 after contacting Typhoid was taken by hospital ship to Egypt where he survived and was assigned to the newly formed Tank Corps and was sent to France his Reg no was 91972 and he had the rank of Lance Corporal when the War Finished. In 1923 He Emigrated to New Zealand.
I would be interested in knowing any information regarding his Pension and Medals awarded.
Thanking You Josephine

Danielle-Marie

Danielle-Marie Report 20 Apr 2010 18:02

Jan,

I saw the Elizabeth Neal marriage too but didn't think much of it considering it was in 1939 and she wasn't on the 1841 census with him. I'll check it out all the same and get back to you asap.

Danielle-Marie xx

Danielle-Marie

Danielle-Marie Report 20 Apr 2010 18:03

Josephine,

I have located his military service record and have a digital copy of it stored on my PC, if you PM me your email address then I will send it to you. Going to have another dig and see what else I can find for you.

Danielle-Marie

Joy

Joy Report 20 Apr 2010 18:40

Thank you for looking for him for me, it is appreciated.

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 20 Apr 2010 22:20

pm sent - many thanks,
Liz

jeannie

jeannie Report 21 Apr 2010 09:59

Hi Danielle-Marie

thanks for the SMITH adress. i am off to google to have a peek at where they lived.

jeannie

jeannie

jeannie Report 21 Apr 2010 13:50

hi Danielle-Marie
you found the SMITH family for me, in the 1901census at 20 mount grove, in wortley near leeds.
i thought you would like to know that i found a photo of the house on the Leodis site.an awesome photo from 1958, the buildings in this area were demolished soon after as part of a slum clearance.

the area reminds me why my grandparents emigrated to NZ after the war. This was an area that my forbears lived in from the 1860's to the 1950's

thank you for looking for them
i have left a comment on Leodis about this family at the address.
jeannie

Danielle-Marie

Danielle-Marie Report 22 Apr 2010 16:07

Lou,

Have hunted high and low for information on Mary Chid Jackman but have drawn a complete blank. Drew the same when I tried to search for possible surnames for Thomas snr's wife.

Sorry
Danielle-Marie