Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IRISH Helpers need to find Grandmother - Hanly

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 7 May 2010 13:32

I have been trying to find my Grandmother Bridget Hanly born in the Co.home of Roscommon, she gave birth to my mother Mary Hanly on 28.03.1942 in Clooneyquin Roscommon, she was then at the age of 4 sent to the Sisters of Charity Convent in Altone, If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. where would I start to find info.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 7 May 2010 13:39

Jacqui

You have several threads on this

Guidelines suggest no more than one thread per subject

GB

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 7 May 2010 13:45

Sorry this is my first time using any of the message boards and I am so desperate to find anything. I really dont know where to start!

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 7 May 2010 13:51

Oh my God, how did you find all this info in such a short space of time. I have been looking for anything on a Bridget Hanly for the past 5 years and have never come up with anything. Thank you so much for your help so far.
Also what where do i find all the film no.101229 ect.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 7 May 2010 13:54

Well done SomersetGirl

Fingers crossed its the right one

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 8 May 2010 09:51

Thankyou I will check this out today and let you know how I get on.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 8 May 2010 10:08

Hi I have been on the site GRO and they are manily about Birth Certs. But we have my mothers Birth cert as she need to get a passport, hence this is the reason, we know the name of Bridget Hanly but this is as far as our trail goes. We need to know, if she married and has a different name? where she lived and how to trace her from here.
can any of the above info you gave us lead to finding her, I know its a big ask but could you keep on trying to find her as you are our only hope, as you have all the skills.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 8 May 2010 11:28

Hi thanks again, I miss read your first pointer, I will order the birth cert first thing monday. I am going to check out the web address you gave in miniute. Thanks again for your help and understanding that I am new to all this. I will keep you posted!

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 10 May 2010 12:15

Hi Somerset Girl, just a quick question, If we find more than one person who could be a possibility of my Grandmother how do we know which one will be the right one, so as to not waste time and money?

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 18 May 2010 12:35

Just to let you know that I ordered the Birth Cert for Bridget Hanly last week, just waiting for it to arrive in a couple of weeks so will keep you post.
many thanks for your help.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 20 May 2010 17:50

Hi, I have the birth cert for Bridget Hanly, the details on this are:
dob:16.01.1924
Fathers name: Luke Hanly -
name and surname of Dwelling : Acres
Mothers name: Delia Hanly
Maiden name: Lally
Fathers Ocupation: Farmer

Where do I go from here with this information? I feel so excited I can hardly breath!

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 20 May 2010 19:20

Oh my god, you work quick! sorry I was making the tea so didnt pick up till now.

there is so much to take in! what do i do with this info. and more importantly I do i link this Bridget to my Mother?
how do I get hold of my mother Baptisum Cert?

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 20 May 2010 21:22

Yeah I know I'm getting a bit excited, but this is the nearest we have ever gotten, I know it could still turn out to be the wrong bridget! but hope not.

I will send Teresa an email tonight, thanks a lot and I will keep you posted as to what she says.

spoke to my mother half an hour ago and she told me the name of the convent she went to was called, summer hill convent in Athlone, so I will send them an email tomorrow, to try and get some back ground history on the place to make sure that its the correct convent and then ask them about baptism certs.

Thistledown

Thistledown Report 20 May 2010 23:04

I wonder as Mary was put in Convent in 1946??????????
Marraige Brigid Hanley Athlone July-Sept 1946 Volumn 3 Page 8.
Spelling diferent though.
Best of luck.
Lily.

Jooleh

Jooleh Report 21 May 2010 00:10

I believe Delia was a common nickname or alternative name for Bridget.

Julie

Thistledown

Thistledown Report 21 May 2010 02:00

SomersetGirl that is the right Marraige cert
On www.searchrecords/recordsearch
Luke Hanly Roscommon Apr-June 1919 Vol.3 Page 240
Delia Lally Roscommon Apr-June 1919 Vol 3 Page 240
-------------------------------------------------------
Delias Parents Marraige?????????/
Marraige Michael Lally Roscommon 1873 Vol. 3 Page 376.
It says that he married Brigida (Latin) Kennedy on 13th Feb 1873 in Roman Catholic Church Killinavoy and Kilmain Roscommon Michaels Fathers name Edward
Brigida,s Fathers name Thomas Kennedy.
--------------------------------
Name pattern was same here as Scotland then First boy/girl named after fathers parents,
Second boy/girl named after mothers mother/father.
Lily
Lily

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 21 May 2010 08:44

Thank you all for helping, its very exciting!!

I am interested in the Grandparents and great grandparents but first I need to make sure that this Bridget Hanly is the right one, and that she really is my mothers mother. How do i connect the two together?

Thistledown

Thistledown Report 22 May 2010 02:19

Hi Jacqui,
as your mam was not put into care until she was 4 years old the home might have her details.
If your mam is still alive she should write to the health board through the "FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT" to
The HSE,
Third Floor,
Park House,
North Circular Road,
Dublin 7.
Ireland.
send in a photocopy of her birth cert with the query.
----------------------------------
You could also write to the convent in Roscommon through "The Freedom of Information Act" asking for her chart. You probably will not get all the info. from her time there but should get some.
---------------------------------------------------
In the meantime you could try and trace it up yourself.If Mary was not born in a home her mothers(Bridgets) home address should be on Marys birth cert, if then Bridgets birth cert has the same address on it will have both parents names as well as mmn.
----------------------------------------------------
If the Marraige of Brigid Hanley has the same fathers name on more than lightly it has to be the grandparent of Mary, as there are only two Delia Hanlys in Roscommon on the 1911 census.
----------------------------------------------------
My husband was born in England brought over here at 10 months was put into a home and the scant info. that we got had his Baptistmal cert in it, we eventually traced his birth cert and parents marraige to England.The convent were very unhelpful but we eventually got the info. from Park House.
They deal with children who were in care. My husband was in care in the 1944s, his mother and father were born here 1907-1912.
Good luck.
Lily.

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 22 May 2010 04:17

Thanks once again for your info and help.
over the years on & off, I have tried to talk to my Mum about her life but she has always been unwilling, but tonight I thought I would brave it one last time, and I have been completely shocked, that it is keeping me awake, she passed me a letter and told me she had tried once before to trace her mother but had given up due to this letter. And the fact the she was told by some body eles that all records were distroyed in the 1922 fire.
---------------------------------------------------
"Furthe to our tele conv. I wish to put in writing the info. I have been able to trace about your early life and your birth mother.
I went to the Sacred Heart Hospital in roscommon town and searched the Register books of the Roscommon County Home.
The register details your birth mother entering the Home on 16/03/42 and your birth on 28.03.42. It gives her address a Creevy, Roscommon instead of Clooleyquinn as on your birth Certicate. this may be the reason I have not been able to get any details of a Bridget Hanly or any Hanly family in the Clooneyquinn.
The Register states that you both left the County Home on 07/02/44 but does not say where too. I note from your earlier contact with us that you did not enter Summerhill in Athlone until 01/04/46. Unfortunately I have not been able to ascertain where you were in the meantime. it may be that you remained in the County Home after your mother left as this often happened for children at that time.
Unfortunately there is no Hanly family now living in the area.
Perhaps you could ring or write to me and let me know if you would like me to continue."
----------------------------------
Unquote
Although this is good news in some respect as we have more info to go on, I am disappointed that my mother did not confide in me sooner. Can we now start to trace some of this info?

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 22 May 2010 10:38

just looking again at the 1911 Census and I am a little confused?

Creev st. Roscommon
James Hanly aged 80 head of family
Delia Hanly aged 34 Daughter
Joseph Hanly aged 13 nephew

no.12 Lughtcauste Clooneyqin
Partic Hanly aged 76 Head of family
Patric Hanly aged 32 Son
Mary annie Hanly aged 32 Daughter in law
Michael john Hanly aged 3 Grandson
Charles Gerrard Hanly aged 0 Grandson

Name Lally 1 Aeres rd.
Michael Lally aged 66 Head of family
Bridget Lally aged 55 wife
Delia Lally aged 23 Daughter
Margaret wash aged 8 grand daughter

The person named Delia in the Hanly family cannot be the same person in the Lally family as the ages do not match?

So does this mean that Delia Lally/Hanly is not the Mother of Bridget Hanly?

I am looking at both the Clooneyquin as per my mothers Birth cert and the Creev/creevy as per the letter

Or am I looking at this all wrong? very confused now. :(