Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 22 Aug 2010 16:31

looking for the marriage of walter penrith jones to alice barraclough....these are my great-grandparents. My grandfather was born in 1923

Andrew

Andrew Report 22 Aug 2010 16:34

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Mar 1923 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barraclough Alice Jones Ashton 8d 597
Jones Walter P Barraclough Ashton 8d 597

Andy

Andrew

Andrew Report 22 Aug 2010 17:31

Birth?

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

Births Dec 1898 (>99%)

Jones Walter Penrith Ashton 8d 534

Andy

jax

jax Report 22 Aug 2010 17:34

This info can be found on

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

as mentioned in your last post

I take it you do not want to try and look youself?

jax

Mark

Mark Report 22 Aug 2010 17:43

i am doing many lines on my tree so as you can understand this is very time consuming , and tiring....

jax

jax Report 22 Aug 2010 17:46

I do not see why that stops you looking youself

We are all members here not paid employees.

edit - If it is so tireing I suggest you employ someone to do your tree for you

jax

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 22 Aug 2010 17:50

Time consuming?

It's more time consuming to put a request on here and then check back for replies than it is to look for the marriage yourself.

Christine

Mike *

Mike * Report 22 Aug 2010 18:13

Mark, I think you've chosen the wrong hobby.

jax

jax Report 22 Aug 2010 18:14

Just to add I assume you are new to this?

We are here to help if you get stuck, and it has been explained that freebmd is a good place to start for finding birth, marriages and deaths from 1837 up until 1940s

Just give it a go see how you get on

jax

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 22 Aug 2010 20:17

am doing many lines on my tree so as you can understand this is very time consuming , and tiring....

LOL LOL LOL

Well it looks like Mark wants everyone to do the searching for him.
Unless you are a paid researcher Mark. then genealogy IS a hobby ,,,,a time consuming hobby,

Mark

Mark Report 22 Aug 2010 20:21

then dont search!...simple...nice to have help though and maybe some direction

jax

jax Report 22 Aug 2010 20:25

That is what we are trying to do give you some direction!!!

When we give links to sites they would be FREE it is not something we do to suggest you subscribe to ancestry worldwide

jax

jax

jax Report 22 Aug 2010 20:35

I really dont believe you Mark

I have tried to help you and I get an abusive pm I hope the others see this and dont bother to help

jax

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Aug 2010 20:47

Jaysus Murphy

I don't believe this!

Mark ........................

are you aware that everyone one who helps on these boards is actually a member of GR, just like you.

We have ALL paid memberships to GR ...... but actually like to help other people where and when we can.

We all have subscriptions to other sites, and probably a little more expertise than you. But we have all asked for help ourselves whe stuck.

We are not paid employees of GR ........ we volunteer to help others because we just like to search for things.

We also all like to teach newbies how to search for themselves ...... that's the fun of this hobby. Finding information for YOURSELF ...... and all the sites that have been suggested to you are free ones.

If it is too time consuming and tiring to do the research, then I respectfully suggest you have the wrong hobby!

It is NOT as easy or simple as WDYTYA or other TV programs imply. It can take years to find some ancestors.

Nor is it a cheap hobby!

Finally .............. how do you know that what is found for you by someone else is correct???

we can all make mistakes

When I provide someone with the information on bmd registration, I expect them to then BUY the actual certificate to determine that they do have to correct people.

sylvia

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Aug 2010 21:15

Mark :) , my well meant best bit of advice to you is not to try and do all the branches of your tree at once lol...it's tempting but not practical, unless you are super-organised... go with the one that interests you most? paternal or maternal.

I'm adding a couple of sites re Ireland on other thread.

Flick

Flick Report 22 Aug 2010 22:16

Well, Mark, you have just shot yourself in the foot, pal.

Researching one's family is about doing it oneself........not asking other people to do it all, because it's 'time-consuming' and 'tiring'.

As has been suggested earlier - try a different hobby.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 22 Aug 2010 22:57

Snork.

I love the Sunday funnies. ;)

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 22 Aug 2010 23:04

Mark, I agree with Rose

Just concentrate on 1 branch at a time. It is SO easy to get confused if you do not. When you reach that small brickwall with a branch (and you will), then move to another branch. It may give you some clues and more expertise to break down that brick wall. Use all the free sites that you can. There are quite a few for Lancashire.

We have all hit that brick wall at some time and found that some can be broken maybe months later when something new becomes available online.

Julie

Julie Report 22 Aug 2010 23:04

Mark Today at 20:21 Request review
then dont search!...simple...nice to have help though and maybe some direction

I have some direction for you.......Exit is this way >>>>>

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Aug 2010 23:09

anyone else received a pm from mark, apart from the one mentioned earlier?