Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canadian Lookups Please - NEW INFO and REQUEST

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 4 Sep 2010 15:54

EDIT - Please see new info (marriage cert) on last page (posted 4th Feb 2011) and request for any more Canadian help if at all possible, thanks, Helen

Please could someone be kind enough to look up the detail of the following marriage:

I searched for marriages for James Atkins, 1915 +- 10 years, spouse first name Mary.

One has come up in the British Columbia Marriage Index 1872 to 1924, between James Atkins and a Mary Jane, however I can't see any more of the info as I only have Premium subs not Worldwide.

Would be very grateful if someone could have a look and give me the rest of the info.

Many thanks in advance

Helen

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 4 Sep 2010 16:06

Hi Helen

There is NO IMAGE to view... this is the information:

British Columbia Marriage Index: 1872 to 1924 about James Atkins
Name: James Atkins
Spouse's name: Mary Jane King
Spouse Gender: Female
Marriage Date: 25 Mar 1915
BCA Number: B11371
Registration Number: 1915-09-029238
GSU Number: 1983528

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. British Columbia Marriage Index: 1872 to 1924 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2001.
Original data: British Columbia Vital Statistics Agency. British Columbia, Canada. British Columbia Vital Statistics Agency: P.O. Box 9657, Stn Prov Govt, Victoria, BC V8W 9P3.

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 4 Sep 2010 16:15

Debi, thank you very much.

Unfortunately this one isn't my relative.

I've found her on a passenger list (thanks to the free use over the Labor day weekend), travelling to Canada in 1920 as Mary Jane Atkins to join her husband, with correct date and place of birth (1891, Towersey, Bucks) and correct father's name (Thomas Smith). However I can't find an England/Wales marriage for them. I don't know if maybe he as a Canadian serviceman in WW1 and their marriage may have been registered differently, or indeed, if they really did get married.

However her passage was listed as paid by the Canadian Govt so I would have thought the marriage would have been above board.

Thanks anyway.

Helen

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 4 Sep 2010 16:18

No worries ...... Why on earth our ancestors didn't leave us more clues to help us I will never know lol

All the best Helen

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 4 Sep 2010 16:21

at least I'm geting somewhere on this one now, for years all I've had to go on is a photo of "Aunty Mary who went to Canada", but no surname and no real confirmation of whose aunt, or great-aunt or cousin she might have been ....LOL

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Sep 2010 16:27

If I'm looking at the right passenger list Mary Jane seems to have 2 children with her, Ruth Evelyn Veacy Atkins, 8, and Kathleen Rose Naomi Veacy Atkins, 6, wirh her.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Sep 2010 16:30

Was Mary Jane, perhaps previously married to a Veacy and the children from her first marriage?

Marriages Jun 1918 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atkins James E O Veacy Brighton 2b 465
Veacy Mary J Atkins Brighton 2b 465

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 4 Sep 2010 16:36

ooh Margaret, I hadn't looked at who was travelling with her, however I did find the Veacy Atkins marriage on freebmd and looked for a Smith Veacy marriage, but couldn't find one, although its probably a name that is commonly mistranscribed ... will keep digging, thanks, Helen

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Sep 2010 16:37

Daughter Kathleen?

Births Mar 1914 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VEACY Kathleen R N Smith Hampstead 1a 1079

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 4 Sep 2010 16:40

Margaret, you beat me to it!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Sep 2010 16:49

Did I beat you to this one , too?

Births Mar 1914 (>99%)
VEACY Kathleen R N Smith Hampstead 1a 1079

Sorry, can't resist!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Sep 2010 16:51

Can't find first marriage though or death of a Veacy.

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 4 Sep 2010 16:52

Margaret, you must be losing your touch! :-), you've given me Kathleen twice, I still can't find Ruth, unless she was illegitimate i.e. Smith, there is a Ruth E L Smith mother's maiden name Smith in Chelsea District Mar qu 1912, or Mary was married before the marriage to Veacy ...

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Sep 2010 16:53

I see their destination in 1920 was Kingston, Ontario, a couple of hours drive from where I live.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Sep 2010 16:54

You're right, losing my touch. Guess I was more interested in beating you to it!

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 4 Sep 2010 17:13

I've also looked for a death for a Veacy on CWGC in case he was a casulaty and a divorce in series J77 on Nat Archives, but no luck with either

family stories have another daughter called Uneeta or Unita, I guess she would have been born in Canada in the 1920s but these records are still sealed I think under the 100 years rule

Margaret, I don't know if you have any access to any other records that might shed some more light on the family

I know that Aunty Mary (we assume Mary J Atkins, nee Smith) came over to the UK in the early 1960s as my husband remembers meeting her

don't worry if not, at least the passenger list gives me a surname to go on ...

thanks

Helen

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 4 Sep 2010 17:28

according to a tree on ancestry ( not accurate i know but could hold clues) ruth evelyn veacy married a leonard wesley keyes in ontario in 1950

it also say ruth was born in ontario which is wrong.

this shows ruth with sister kathleen entering canada accompanied by their mother gives her age as 8yrs

Canada, Ocean Arrivals (Form 30A), 1919-1924
about Ruth Evelyn Veacy
Name: Ruth Evelyn Veacy
Estimated birth year: abt 1912
Date of Arrival: 24 Feb 1920
Port of Arrival: Saint John, New Brunswick
Ship Name: Grampian

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 4 Sep 2010 19:02

thanks Lorraine

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Sep 2010 19:33

Helen, I wonder if the James Atkins that she married was also an Engilshman? There's a James Atkins who enlisted in Kingston, Ontario but he was born Brighton, Sussex, England. Next-of-kin was his mother Mrs L. Atkins, Mount Place?, Brighton, England.
They were married in Brighton, weren't they?

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 5 Sep 2010 08:02

Margaret, that certainly looks possible, I'll have a dig around in the bmds and the census records and see if I can track him down in Brighton, do you know the date when he enlisted? Thanks, Helen

No matching bmds in any part of Sussex, but I widened the search and there is this one in Paddington with same initials?

Births Dec 1886 (>99%)

Atkins James Edward O Paddington 1a 48

possible match for Mrs L Atkins, Brighton on 1911 census, but no James:

posible match for Mrs L Atkins on 1911 census at 25 Osborne Road, Brighton:
ATKINS, Albert Edward Owen Head Married M 46 1865 Auctioneer's Packer London Padington
ATKINS, Lydia Mary Wife Married 25 years F 43 1868 London St Georges RD
ATKINS, Dora May Daughter Single F 20 1891 Furriers Window Dresser London Paddington
ATKINS, Gertrude Mary Daughter Single F 17 1894 Milliner London Paddington
DEIGHTON, Lillie Adelaide Ann Daughter Married F 22 1889 London Paddington
DEIGHTON, Herbert Stanley Grandson M 1 1910 Sussex Brighton

interesting that Paddington crops up again and that father's middle initials are E O

marriage for them in Paddington, 2 quarters before James's birth:
Marriages Jun 1886 (>99%)

ATKINS Albert Edward O Paddington 1a 73
READE Lydia Mary F Paddington 1a 73

found Albert and Lydia now on 1901 census and James is with them:
Albert E Atkins 36
Lydia M F Atkins 32
James E O Atkins 14
Lellie A A Atkins 12
Dora M Atkins 10
Gertrude M Atkins 7

Class: RG13; Piece: 44; Folio: 100; Page: 32.

in Hammersmith

don't you just love mistranscriptions, found them now in 1891, Albert is Arsen! and looks like James is Owen, presumably his middle name, so presume he is James Edward Owen Atkins in full:
Arsen Atkins 26
Lydia Atkins 22
Owen Atkins 4
Adelaide Atkins 2
Dora Atkins 2/12

Class: RG12; Piece: 8; Folio 94; Page 40; GSU roll: 6095118.