Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth records

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margery

Margery Report 2 Feb 2011 09:28

I am unable to trace any records for the birth of David Lawrence (dob-30 Oct 1933) we believe was born in Bermondsey.

If as we have been told he was adopted would this be the reason why we cannot trace any records?
Thanks for any help you can give

Margery

Margery Report 2 Feb 2011 09:37

I have a copy of the death certificate but it doesn,t state where born, it just states date of birth England,

Andrew

Andrew Report 2 Feb 2011 09:42

I was adopted (1954) and only my birth name appears in the records.

Andy

Margery

Margery Report 2 Feb 2011 09:50

Thanks Andrew
I am assuming that I may not be able to find his 'real' surname that's if it wasn't Lawrence.

margery

Gee

Gee Report 2 Feb 2011 10:05

Are you sure he was adopted? There is this death record

England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-2005
about David Lawrence
Name: David Lawrence
Birth Date: 30 Oct 1933
Death Registration Month/Year: Feb 1997
Age at death (estimated): 63
Registration district: Northampton
Inferred County: Northamptonshire
Register number: B53B
District and Subdistrict: 6701B
Entry number: 60

I cant find a birth record to match this death so Im assuming this is where you got his DOB from?

I suppose there is always the chance that his birth was not registered?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Feb 2011 10:19

Was there any chance he was born before his mothers marriage so would be registered in her maiden surname,?

Flick

Flick Report 2 Feb 2011 11:14

If he was adopted, his first name may have been changed also.

Margery

Margery Report 2 Feb 2011 14:12

I have just spoken to my daughter in law and she has said that she was always told her father was adopted and born in Bermondsey but she's not sure that is correct.
I got his date of birth from both her and on his death certificate.

So not sure where to go from here, any suggestions?

Thanks
Margery

Andrew

Andrew Report 2 Feb 2011 14:51

My name changed completley on adoption, and my adopted name is not in the records. If this is the case here, then you may need the original paperwork to find birth name.

Andy

Margery

Margery Report 2 Feb 2011 18:45

Andy, thanks for this, can I ask how and where would we get the original ppaerwork from?

Thanks
Margery

Flick

Flick Report 2 Feb 2011 22:27

I think you'll find that only the adopted person has the right to access adoption papers...........if it isn't the case, I'm sure someone will correct me.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Feb 2011 05:37

I think only the adopted child OR the parents can apply for access to the adoption records.

If the adopted child is dead, I think a sibling may apply with proof of death of the adoptee and of the parents.

Not sure where children come in.

Margery

Margery Report 3 Feb 2011 12:31

Debra
Thanks for this information, it seems so awful that the daughter cannot apply for these records. This must mean this search comes to a full stop.

Thank you all for your help
Margery

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Feb 2011 12:36

Sorry but only the adopted person can ask for their records .When they die then their records are closed and cannot be accessed by anyone .

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 3 Feb 2011 21:52

Ginny, those sons of unmarried parents might be living (1933) and not want their birth details posted here, lol.

Gee

Gee Report 3 Feb 2011 22:02

Yes of course chrissiex ...you dont need to LOL as you make a good point

..and as they were totally unacknolwedged I'll delete them

Best of luck Margery

Incidentally Margery, you don’t say how you are related?

Margery

Margery Report 29 Jul 2011 22:01

After all this time my daughter in law and i think that david lawrence could have had a surname of Briddon, so am hoping that this may lead to some information on her dad, on the other hand it may be a wild card, but we just dont seem to be getting any where.
Any advice is always appreciated

Thanks
margery

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 30 Jul 2011 15:12

if the birthdate is accurate ... there were 5 Briddon births registered in the last quarter of 1933

I will not put them here as the people could be living but search at freebmd

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

specifying Dec quarter 1933 and you will find them ... always look in freebmd

2 were in London and 3 were in Derbyshire ... actually only one was a boy and that was David in London ... this could seem promising

although he died in Northamptonshire does no one know where he lived during his life ? your daughter in law was not in touch with her dad ?

this is looking quite promising

there is no death for that David Briddon

there is no marriage for a David Briddon ( with no middle name ) that would seem to match up ... there are marriages 1947 and 1960 in Lancashire but I would guess they are both the David born 1923 in Lancashire ...

find the birth at freebmd and that will give you the mother's surname and you will see that this birth does seem a very good candidate

the information at freebmd will also give you the details you need for ordering the birth certificate here

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Margery

Margery Report 1 Aug 2011 20:29

Hi Chrissiex
Thank you for this information.
I have ordered the birth certificate.

My daughter in law was in contact with her dad, but he never said anything, apparently her mother had loads of his papers but wont hand anything over, so the information you have given does seem really promising.

Many thanks to you and everyone for help with this.

I will let you know how it turns out once the certificate is received.

Margery

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 2 Aug 2011 19:58

you're welcome, it does look like a really good probability, if the actual birthdates do match you would have a virtual certainty so I would say go ahead and post the info here if so and we can lend a hand further if you need.