Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anthony Rhudde HELP please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 14 Apr 2011 18:44

I am researching Anthony Rhudde, born I believe Portesham to John Rhudde, lived at sometime in Staffordshire, poss brother to Rev. Durande, who added the h and e to Rudd . I know he was born 1738-1816 married Mary Wood.
, but have no other trace of the family ancestors. Can anyone help please
Jackie

patchem

patchem Report 14 Apr 2011 18:48

Could you say where you got the dates for him from, and the connections to your ancestors or other definite link?
Thanks

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Apr 2011 18:53

Portesham - Dorset

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Apr 2011 18:57

how could he be the brother of someone with the surname Durande?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 14 Apr 2011 18:59

sorry , there is a possible family link to Rev Durande Rhudde, of East Bergholt
Jackie

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Apr 2011 19:36

Jacqueline, you do need to answer patchem's questions before anyone can really help -- you have more info than you've given, so it makes no sense for people to have *less* info than you have and try to help.

His children? Names, born when, where? You descend from which one? and the sources of all the info.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Apr 2011 19:40

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.htm

Name: Maria Elizabeth Rhudde
> Baptism/Christening Date: 22 Aug 1761
Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT OLAVE HART STREET, LONDON, LONDON, ENGLAND
> Father's Name: Durand Rhudde
Mother's Name: Mary
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00159-2
System Origin: England-ODM
Source Film Number: 557012
Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

So Durande Rhudde and John Rhudde would be the same generation?
- edit - I meant Anthony Rhudde (if born 1731).

If Durande Rhudde added the H and E to Rudd, how did John (I mean Anthony), of the same generation, become Rhudde?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Apr 2011 19:46

Name: Deborah Rhudde
Baptism/Christening Date: 24 Aug 1748
Baptism/Christening Place: Portisham, Dorset, England
> Father's Name: John Rhudde
> Mother's Name: Mary
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C15984-1
System Origin: England-EASy
Source Film Number: 1239223
Reference Number: item 7
Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Name: John Seare
> Burial Date: 04 Nov 1747
Burial Place: Woodchurch Parish, England (Cheshire??)
> Father's Name: John Rhudd
> Mother's Name: Mary
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I03893-9
System Origin: England-EASy
Source Film Number: 1751479
Reference Number: P129
Collection: England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991

If this is the family, it puts John Rhudde born well before 1738.

edit -- My mistake!! I was confusing John with Anthony. Anthony could well have been born when you said.

The name Rhudde does not appear in the GRO index at FreeBMD or in the censuses at Ancestry.

Ancestry records I don't have a sub for show

England, Extracted Parish and Court Records
Rhudde, Durand date General
Rhudde, Jno. (Rev.) date General
Rhudde, Mary Rev. Jno. R., V. date General

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 Apr 2011 20:00

London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921
about Durand Rhudde Name: Durand Rhudde
Spouse Name: Mary Sherold
Record Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 14 Aug 1760
Parish: St Dionis Backchurch
COUNTY: London
Borough: City of London

Her name is actually Shergold. He is a clerk.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 14 Apr 2011 20:01

Hi Janey, AMAZING... yes Durande and Anthony died approx 3 years apart. Durandes grandaughter married Constable the painter. there is some info re Durande but Anthony is a mystery. I have found little about him. I believe his wife was Mary Wood, nee Astle (widow) her father was Daniel Astle, her brother Thomas an attorney in Whitehall. I have records of a court case Taylor v Rhudde over her inheritance from Mr Wood, where Samuel Johnson gave comments, so they moved in wealthy circles
Jackie

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 14 Apr 2011 20:02

By the way Anthony married 1776, but I dont know where!!

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 14 Apr 2011 20:06

Sorry Janey, John was Durands father, I only think, Anthony may have been a son or close relative to him?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Apr 2011 20:07

Jacqueline -- *how do you know* when Anthony married? How could you know that without knowing where??

(See my edits above -- I was indeed confusing John and Anthony.)

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 14 Apr 2011 20:10

An announcement in the Sherville and Yeovil Mercury 1776
1st Jan 1776

Also in Western Flying Post and Sherborne and Yeovil Mercury

25 may 1778 Re. John Rhudde - Vicar of Portesham died

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Apr 2011 20:13

Okay, I'm completely confused.

"I am researching Anthony Rhudde, born I believe Portesham to John Rhudde, lived at sometime in Staffordshire, poss brother to Rev. Durande, who added the h and e to Rudd . I know he (>> who??) was born 1738-1816 married Mary Wood."

"John was Durands father, I only think, Anthony may have been a son or close relative to him?"

So your opening statement about being born Portesham to John Rhudde was speculation ...

What information is there about Anthony Rhudde living in Staffordshire? Where does it come from?

The speculation about the connection with Durande Rhudde is based on spelling alone?

Where do you have the name Anthony Rhudde from at all??

And anything else that might be useful ...

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Apr 2011 20:14

And we cross-posted: "An announcement in the Sherville and Yeovil Mercury 1776 " -- of the marriage of Anthony Rhudde and Mary Wood?

What is your connection with these people??

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Apr 2011 20:17

National Archives quick search for Anthony Rhudde

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

- Information relating to document ref. no. DG 9/1498
Contents:
Abstract marriage settlement
(i) Edward Farnham, esq, Quorndon.
(ii) Durand Rhudde D.D., East Bergholt, Suffolk.
(iii) Harriet Rhudde his daughter.
(iv) Anthony Rhudde, esq, Uttoxeter, Staffs. William Herrick, esq, Beaumanor.
In consideration of the marriage of (i) and (iii), (i) grants to (iv) a cottage and homestead, a stockingmaker's shop and Pigging Close in Woodhouse Eaves to be held to the use of (i) and his assigns and to be charged with £40C p.a as the dower of (ii).
Date: 1795

- Information relating to document ref. no. MS 11936/390/608598
Insured: Anthony Rhudde, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, esq. [Guildhall Library, Records of Sun Fire...]
Date: 1792

- Information relating to document ref. no. X668/142
Contents:
Discharge for legacies by
John Corley, Bedford, woolcomber, and wife Mary
John Stewartson, late of Bedford, and now of Uttoxeter, Staffs, joiner, and wife Elizabeth
(Mary and Elizabeth being the nieces and legatees mentioned in the will of Elizabeth Jones, Bedford, widow, deceased, for £130, to be paid by Thomas Sheppard)
On even date with this Thomas Sheppard has paid them £136 each for legacies and interest, and they have issued receipts
Also to more effectively exonerate the property, and in consideration of 10s paid to John Corley and Mary, and John Stewardson and Elizabeth
Said John and Mary, and John and Elizabeth release to Thomas Sheppard
- messuage, closes etc devised by Elizabeth Jones to Thomas Sheppard and charged with the payment of the legacies
Signatures of all
Endorsed witnesses Wm Wilsher, junior Anthony Rhudde) Uttoxeter
Hum. Pipe)
[Bedfordshire
Date: 1787

Slug & Lettuce

Slug & Lettuce Report 14 Apr 2011 20:19

Hope this is useful Except from newspaper.

Middlesex Journal and Evening Advertiser (London, England), December 21, 1775 - December 23, 1775

MARRIED - On Thursday at Christ Church Newgate Street, by the Rev. Mr Rhudde of St Thomas's Southwark, Mr Anthony Rhudde, son of the Reverend Mr Rhudde of Dorsetshire to Mrs Wood of Staffordshire.

Ria x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 14 Apr 2011 20:20

The wealthy Rev. Dr. Durand Rhudde (1735-1819), married Mary Shergold (1738-1811) in 1760 and had a son about whom seemingly nothing is known and two daughters: Marria Elizabeth born August, 22 1761 and Harriet whose birth date is unknown. Dr. Rhudde recieved a Doctorate of Divinity from King's College, Cambridge, and in 1763, he became vicar of St. Thomas, Southwark. According to the May 1819 edition of The Gentleman's Magazine, "Dr. Rhudde was a zealous and conscientious Divine, and throughout the long period of his existence lived much respected and esteemed." He followed in the footsteps of his father John Rhudde (1704-1778), who was vicar of Portesham and Weymouth pictured below in a 1757 mezzotint after (Solomon?) Williams held in the collections of the National Portrait Gallery, London.

From this site:

http://sentimentaljewelry.blogspot.com/2007/09/nathaniel-whittock-portrait-of-harriet.html

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 14 Apr 2011 20:23

The name association-There is a pair of portraits - sold as a pair
the write up is as follows.

Rev Durand Rhudde 1733-1819 DD rector of Brantham with East Bergholt Chaplain in ordinary to George 111 and pendant Anthony Rhudde 1738-1816 of Uttoxeter House Staffordshire.

This is why I think there is a family connection.
We are researching Anthony after finding a clasp reading, A Rhudde Uttoxeter, in Uttoxeter... The research is for the town history where the clasp may be displayed.