Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canadian Passenger lists.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 24 Jul 2011 14:20

Please could someone have a look to see when
Ada Alice Norman went to Canada.
She was born Derby 1870 & married Harry Wibberley 1895 Reading. They had a daughter Alice Rose, b 1897.
The incoming passenger lists show her returning from Montreal to Southampton in 1928. She was travelling alone & under her maiden name, but the age of 59 indicates that it´s her.
Her husband was a foreman bookbinder in 1901. There are several Harry Wibbleys mentioned in the WWI records, but none seem to be him.He was born about 1870 in Derby, parents, Henry & Rose A.
Puzzled as to why she was using her maiden name & what she was doing alone in Canada.

Janice

Janice Report 24 Jul 2011 14:30

There is an Ada Wibberley coming up on the Canadian search but I don't have the right membership to get the details. Port of arrival was Halifax, Nova Scotia.

If someone with world membership could look it up for you you'd know if it was her. No Harry or Alice listed although there is a Hy which is probably Henry - not the same arrival port either.

Astra

Astra Report 24 Jul 2011 14:30

Ada NORMAN
Date of departure: 15 August 1928
Port of departure: Southampton
Passenger destination port: Quebec, Canada
Passenger destination: Quebec, Canada

Date of Birth: 1869 (calculated from age)
Marital status:
Sex: Female
Passenger recorded on: Page 1 of 30

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDITED: Appears to be alone

Address given is 4 Chalaner Avenue Becton Road London

wisechild

wisechild Report 24 Jul 2011 14:35

Thank you both very much.
Bit odd that she went out as Ada Wibberley & came back as Ada Norman.
Her death is registered as Wibberley.
Don´t know who Thomas Norman is, but there are family connections with the North East.
That will give me something to think about.
Marion

Janice

Janice Report 24 Jul 2011 14:35

Are you sure it's her?

She seems to be dying in her married name:
Ada A Wibberley
Birth Date: abt 1871
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1955
Age at Death: 84
Registration district: Reading
Inferred County: Berkshire
Volume: 6a
Page: 142

jax

jax Report 24 Jul 2011 14:38

1911 census - household transcription
Person: WIBBERLEY, Ada
Address: 6 Shenstone Road Reading

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WIBBERLEY, Harry Head Married M 41 1870 Book Finders Overseer Derbyshire Derby VIEW
WIBBERLEY, Ada Wife Married
15 years F 39 1872 Derbyshire Derby VIEW
WIBBERLEY, Alice Daughter F 13 1898 Berkshire Reading VIEW
WIBBERLEY, Edith Daughter F 8 1903 Berkshire Reading VIEW
WIBBERLEY, Frances Daughter F 1 1910 Berkshire Reading VIEW
WIBBERLEY, Rose Mother Widow F 67 1844 Derbyshire Derby VIEW

Janice

Janice Report 24 Jul 2011 14:40

That one on the Canadian shipping list must be this one as there is also an Edward on it:

In memory of
Private
EDWARD WIBBERLEY
who died on June 3, 1916

Military Service:
Service Number: 428718
Force: Army
Unit: Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regiment)
Division: 7th Bn.
Additional Information:
Date of Birth: January 25, 1887
Husband of Ada Wibberley, of Wellingborough, Northants.

jax

jax Report 24 Jul 2011 14:41

Name: Harry Wibberley
Birth Date: abt 1870
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1959
Age at Death: 89
Registration district: Reading
Inferred County: Berkshire
Volume: 6a
Page: 144

Astra

Astra Report 24 Jul 2011 14:46

Ada Wibberley
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886
Date of Arrival: 25 Mar 1911
Vessel: Megantic
Search Ship Database: View the 'Megantic' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Roll: T-4739

Travelling with a 2 year old Beatrice

wisechild

wisechild Report 24 Jul 2011 14:48

Just my luck for there to be 2 Ada Wibberleys.
Thanks both of you for the info.
The incoming passenger list shows her travelling from Southampton to 4 Chandler Avenue, Barking Road London E16. Suppose that could have been one of her daughters.

jax

jax Report 24 Jul 2011 14:51

That Ada Alice gives an address in Barking?? I doubt whether she is anything to do with Ada Wibberley

jax

Astra

Astra Report 24 Jul 2011 14:53

I wonder if the Chalaner Avenue on the outgoing is a mistranscription then?

jax

jax Report 24 Jul 2011 15:00

Where does Ada Wibberley come into it? her name is Ada norman why do you think she went to Canada?

jax

wisechild

wisechild Report 24 Jul 2011 15:11

Ada Alice Wibberley was born Ada Alice Norman in Derby in 1870.
According to Ancestry an Ada Alice Norman returned from Quebec to Southampton in 1928. She was aged 59 & was heading for 4 Chandler Avenue Barking Road E16.
Right maiden name, right age, Seems too much of a coincidence if it isn´t the same person.
Sorry.I thought I had explained it reasonably clearly in my original post.

jax

jax Report 24 Jul 2011 15:24

Yes you explained that her maiden name was Norman. She did'nt live in Essex either so why would you think that someone with that name would be your Ada when she was married with the name Wibberley?

You have been given the deaths of both her and her husband in Reading so why would she be returning to Essex?

wisechild

wisechild Report 25 Jul 2011 07:30

Any number of reasons.
Maybe she was going to stay with family.
Maybe she & her husband were living in Essex at the time & moved back to Reading later. After all, they were both originally from Derby, so you could ask why they were living in Reading in the first place.
These questions are all ones I am trying to answer.´which is why I asked for help.
Am trying to work out whether she is the same person or not.
Just such a coincidence that a person of the same maiden name & age appears on the passenger list if it´s not her.
When I have had time to check on the info which people have kindly provided, maybe I will be able to work it out.

Janice

Janice Report 26 Jul 2011 10:26

Beatrice Wibberley is the daughter of Edward and Ada Wibberley from Kettering district.

wisechild

wisechild Report 26 Jul 2011 11:34

Thanks Janice.
Different Ada Wibberley on the passenger lists, which still leaves me wondering if Ada Alice Norman is "mine"
I shall probably never know.
Thanks for your help though.
Marion

jax

jax Report 26 Jul 2011 11:54

If you cannot see her going out to canada how can this person be yours coming back?

wisechild

wisechild Report 26 Jul 2011 12:29

As I explained originally.
According to Ancestry, there are 2 entries on the passenger list for this person, but I can only view the incoming one.
My original request was for someone to find the information on the outgoing one so that I could see whether she could be mine or not.
I´m very grateful for the extra info I have been given & it will be very useful, but all I really need is the details from the outgoing passenger list which Ancestry says exists.

Edit.
Sorry, perhaps I didn´t make it clear that I had found the 2 entries on Ancestry.