Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cran/Crann

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 30 Jul 2011 20:46

In the 1841 census for leeds,Yorkshire there is,

Thomas Crann head b1796,age45, b yorkshire
Ann wife b 1791, age 50, b scotland [she died 1843]
jane daug b1821 age20, scotland
william son b 1821 age20 scotland
mary ann b 1826 age 15 scotland

On to 1851 census for Leeds
Thomas Crann head, watchman,age 56, b 1795, yorkshire
[wife died 1843]
jane daug age34 dress maker scotland
john son age 28 cloth dresser scotland

thomas,s wife d 1843, and the reason john is not in 1841 census he was in jail at wakefield.

On the IGI it says thomas bap 7/12/1794 St peter leeds, DAD William i cant find William Crann/Cran in england or scotland.
And how come a man b england travel to aberdeenshire,scotland to marr a girl called ann ,i have found there marr in scotland,thomas marr a
ANN ELMSLIE14/5/1818 at Old Machar,Aberdeen,i think her name is hemsley??

1] i would like to find Thomas,s dad William was he from Leeds or Scotland
2] and would love to find a conection from thomas to the Crans of aberdeenshire, of which there are loads,
If thomas went back to scotland and was b leeds he marr there and had three kids there, it beats me hope you can help.
For a man to travel to scotland [no trains/buses] only horses he must have had family there its about 400 miles.
john

Mike *

Mike * Report 30 Jul 2011 20:53

We've been here before I'm sure.

Can't see the original post though.. have you deleted it John ?

jax

jax Report 30 Jul 2011 20:56

I'm sure I have seen this too

Sorry if you have not posted before

John

John Report 30 Jul 2011 21:11

Jax/Mike
yes i have posted something like it about 3 weeks a go but i made a real mess of it, deleted it and start a gain i got a lot of info about the crans 1840 onwards, but none 1840 back ,a lady told me i was doing it wrong after i added a new peice so i left it a week then deleted it but what i have put down now is what i want info on
john

John

John Report 30 Jul 2011 21:38

could be colin he would be about 47 yrs old? but i need a lead
john

John

John Report 30 Jul 2011 21:57

colin
there is a william crann bap 1848 at Rhynie& Essie, Aberdeenshire on the IGI,and i think he marr a Barbara heery gerry? [what do you think] ,that area of scotland is where the Cran/Cranns come from
John :-S

Janet

Janet Report 30 Jul 2011 22:02

The journey to Aberdeen may have been made by sea.
The visitor Sarah Beecroft on the 1851 has a father called John T Beecroft who was born in Leeds but had a wife who also came from Aberdeen....is there a connection somehow.-jl

Janet

Janet Report 30 Jul 2011 22:21

Thomas appears to have a brother who was baptised at St Peters Leeds. George Cran baptised 29 Apl 1792 son of William Cran-j

Janet

Janet Report 30 Jul 2011 22:30

Just going back to John T Beecroft, his wife is entered as Mary A on the census. Could she be the daughter of Thomas Crann? The only thing is that when I look for the marriage of John T Beecroft the only Mary is entered as Mary Elizabeth Forbes Cran, not Mary Ann.-j

Edit
if this is the right person then the mother could be Ann Forbes and there is a baptism in Old Machar Aberdeen 18th Feb 1791 ...I don't want to get too carried away so I would need some input-j

John

John Report 31 Jul 2011 18:27

Ok Janet
give me a bit of time and i will try and cheak your infomation out,never gave it a looking at [sarah in 1851], at sea yes ??I did not mention thomas,s family cos i am not sure of my researching this is what i have on thomas
b1794 leeds,dad william b ?? went to scotland and marr ANN EMLSLIE??? B about1795 scotland marr at old machar 1818 4 kids mary ann b1826 d 1842, jane and william 1821, john1824
Jane Marr benjamin swales[chimmny sweep] 1850.
William marr ann metcalf leeds 1843.

JANET tell me apart from IGI how do you people get your infomation from
1837 backwards
i am a member of ancestry,and find my past i am amazed what you lot find out tell me how
thanks janet
Regards John

Coming down the crann line
Thomas had a son John b 1824 marr mary heaps 1878 bradford there kids is called william 1880, jane b 1871, d1872, annie emily b 1873, the family i knew are now dead she was called annie emily but used annie hemsley the above william is my wifes g/dad.
Thats why i think thomas who marr annie elmslie, somehow annie b 1873 used her middle name
john

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 31 Jul 2011 18:59

John - you need to use FamilySearch (if you don't already) http://www.familysearch.org and Scotland's People http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Janet

Janet Report 31 Jul 2011 20:51

I found some information on familysearch/IGI as I haven't got Ancestry at the moment. -jl

John

John Report 2 Aug 2011 23:23

Colin
i think i have found it [maybe] ,the william cran that d1830 was b aberdeenshire a bout 1749 and marr a catherine jackson1772 ish scotland,cheers colin.

marie celeste
on familysearch they are more crans than rabbits,
it is helpfull thank you
john

John

John Report 24 Sep 2012 18:17

I am starting up again on the crann or cran and as its been a long time since i was researching the crann or cran can any of you nice people explain this
john crann son of thomas in jan 1841 is in jail for 6months for larcany, 1n 1851 john crann is in leeds with his dad thomas a widower and sister jane,at church st
leeds, in 1861 hes with sister jane same place both unmarr, in 1871 john is with a widow woman mary cran nee heaps with daug jane, jane d late 1871.
In 1881hes with mary plus her daug from her1st marr to william heaps he d 1859 bradford
also with 2 kids from john/marys marr.
this i dont understand there are 2 1891 censuses one of him a gardener at scarcroft WITH HIS SON WILLIAM AGE11.
his wife mary is at york rd leeds also with son WILLIAM AGE 11[ is this wrong,can it happen]??

also thomas age 45 1n 1841 census i cant find his father, some here thought it was william but thomas was b leeds and i think william was born leeds but the crann family[my wifes family say the crann/cran come from aberdeen about 1400] to about early 1800s, but i am stuck as i was a few months ago. i do know that john b 1825ish was my father in laws g/dad
john

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 24 Sep 2012 18:43

Hi John, regarding William being on two census records in 1891 - yes, it does sometimes happen that people are double-counted and it does seem more often to happen with children. The census is supposed to reflect where people were on the particular night the census was taken (in this case 5th April). However, it's not unknown for a householder to give details of everyone who normally lives in the household whether they were there or not.

What might have happened is something like John was working away for a while and took William with him and both he and Mary counted him on the census.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 24 Sep 2012 18:45

The 1891 census does show John Cran as born c1825 in Aberdeen.

Here's his marriage to Mary Heaps:

West Yorkshire, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1935
Name: John Crann, bachelor. Overlooker at Felt Works. Lived 27 Manor Row, Bradford
Birth Year: abt 1825
Marriage or Bann Date: 10 Jul 1878
Parish: Bradford, St Peter (Bradford Cathedral)
Father's Name: Thomas Crann (Deceased) Cloth Dresser
Spouse's Name: Mary Heaps, spinster age 39. Lived 17 Broad Street, Bradford.
Spouse's Father's Name: John Heaps (Deceased) Cloth Weaver

Witnesses Wm Crann and AB Sewell.

Mary's status is given as spinster plus her surname is the same as her father's so it implies she had NOT been married before.

Where did you get details of her supposed first marriage to William Heaps?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 24 Sep 2012 20:52

Article about John Crann's crime.

Yorkshire Gazette - Saturday 09 January 1841

George Abel (16), John Crann (17), Nicholas Marr (16), Patrick Whaling (20) and Patrick Conley (15) were indicted for stealing money from Wm Hodgson at Bilton with Harrogate.
This was a common case of shoplifting but in consequence of the great number of persons who were necessarily called to prove the prisoners were together immediately before and after the robbery, the investigation occupied a long time.
The prisoners were apprehended through the activity of Stubbs and Hartley of the Leeds police, the only two who are not required to wear the police uniform when on duty, and who happened to be in the neighbourhood looking after other persons.
The jury found all prisoners GUILTY.
The court sentenced John Crann to be imprisoned 6 months, Conley to be transported 10 years. Abel, Marr and Whaling to be transported 7 years each.

(Have sent article by pm)

John

John Report 24 Sep 2012 20:58

mariecelese
isaw her down as a widow where i dont know cheaked BMD she marr william heaps bradford 1859 he d 1859 they had a daug sarah ann heapsb 1860her maiden name was nodder she marr john crann 10/7/1878,in 1871 john wife is mary so i think she is mary crann nee heaps i think they lived together, and as they marr in b/ford i put 2/2together and got 4, but yousay shes never wed i am sure im right love[i hope so],
you see marie i am picking straws my fater in law is dead and he new a lot i am now picking my wifes and her sisters brains and not getting a lot,somtimes i hit somthing and iget a a/up i know that
john

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 24 Sep 2012 21:13

John if you're sure that the John Crann who married Mary Heaps is the right couple then their marriage record most definitely implies that she was single - unless she lied. That seems quite likely given her daughter's birth.

If William Heaps died in 1859 then there was no way he could be Sarah Ann's father:

West Yorkshire, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1910
Name: Sarah Ann Heaps
Birth Date: 14 Dec 1860 <<<<<<
Parish: Leeds, St Peter
Baptism Date: 6 Jan 1861
Father's Name: William Heaps - Cloth Dresser.
Mother's Name: Mary Heaps

Address Tunstall Fold.

EDIT: see info found later - the William Heaps who died in 1859 was not the right man.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 24 Sep 2012 21:24

For some strange reason there is another baptism record for Sarah Ann later that year:

West Yorkshire, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1910
Name: Sarah Ann Heaps
Birth Date: 14 Dec 1860
Parish: Leeds, St Peter
Baptism Date: 1 Sep 1861
Father's Name: William Heaps - Labourer.
Mother's Name: Mary Heaps

Address Tunstall Fold.