Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

spence

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

heather

heather Report 16 Sep 2011 20:32

I have been looking for my gr. grandfathers birth for 3 years now, his name was Benjamin West Spence born 4th aug 1860, so it says on the family birthday book, but doesnt say where, he was a merchant sailor the ships he was on stated that he came from st. vincent's, and his marriage to annie Wotherspoon in Stevenston Ayrshire states that his parents were John Spence and Ann Louisa Brown both dec'd, the newspaper cutting of his marriage stated he was the son of John Spence merchant St. Vincent's, I have been in touch with Scotland People, no marriage of his parents and no birth of him, so I persume he was born in St. Vincent's although they say no such a person, this is where I thought shirley could help as the niece marion of annie Spence, Annie was the wife of Benjamin, and he was drowned in 1893 of the isle of man

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 16 Sep 2011 20:39

Hello Heather - where is St Vincent's?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Sep 2011 20:42

Island in the Carribean

heather

heather Report 16 Sep 2011 20:44

Hi, Yes it is in caribean, I think it also comes under St. Vincent's and the Grenadines

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Sep 2011 20:55

I went there last year!! we used to get all our bananas from there but now we no longer do the island has gone downhill very badly and is very poor indeed

heather

heather Report 16 Sep 2011 20:56

Ive heard that, and yet the adverts for holidays the island looks brilliant

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Sep 2011 21:03

can't find a trace of either of them = in Scotland or St Vincent - odd thing is there are a lot of Spence's in the Isle of Man where you say he drowned

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Sep 2011 21:04

don't believe the ads - St Vincent and Dominica are both filled with shanty towns - no infrastructure - the people are poverty stricken

heather

heather Report 16 Sep 2011 21:10

I have tried so hard and spent a lot of money but to no avail, I can remember an old aunt saying something about the highlands or ireland, there are a lot of spences in orkney but still cant find the one i'm looking for, she even mentioned 2 old spinster aunts that were spences, they had a plantation over there but when the great hurricane hit the island sometime in the 1800's they came back to Scotland, which makes me think that the Spence's originally came from Scotland

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Sep 2011 22:06

well when I was searcing through the censu I saw lots in Scotland and Ireland - I'll take another look

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Sep 2011 22:10

??

parents:John Spence,? Ann Miller

name: Benjamin Spence
baptism/christening date: 28 Aug 1850
baptism/christening place: BIRSAY,ORKNEY,SCOTLAND
birth date: 04 Aug 1850
father's name: John Spence
mother's name: Ann Miller
indexing project (batch) number: C11013-4
system origin: Scotland-ODM
source film number: 919497

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Sep 2011 22:11

4th August 1850 not 1860 - coincidence?

heather

heather Report 16 Sep 2011 22:22

birthday book definatley says 1860 drowned when he was in his 33rd year in 1894, his mother ann louisa brown on his marriage cert, also his middle name was West we were told after the west indies

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Sep 2011 22:37

found some Spence's in St Vincent!!!

name: James Fredrick Spence
event: Census
event date: 31 Mar 1901
relationship to head of household: Head
birthplace: St Vincent West Indies
record type: Household
registration district: Tynemouth
sub-district: Whitley
ecclesiastical parish: Cullercoats St Paul
civil parish: Whitley
county: Northumberland

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Sep 2011 22:38

name: Louisa Spence
event: Census
event date: 1911
birthplace: St Vincent West Indies
record type: Household
registration district: Islington
sub-district: Islington South East
parish: Islington
county: London

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 17 Sep 2011 00:16

Name: Marion Spence
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897
Relationship: Niece
Where born: Paisley, Renfrewshire
Registration Number: 573/1
Registration district: Paisley
Civil parish: Paisley
County: Renfrewshire
Address: 2 Blythswood Drive
ED: 58
Household schedule number: 44
Line: 19
Roll: CSSCT1901_207
Household Members: Name Age
Annie Spence 38
John Spence 12
Thomas Spence 9
Benjamin Spence 7
Marion Spence 4

Could chase this up on Scotlands people for her birth .Father must be a brother of John Spence

Ellie

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 17 Sep 2011 00:24

This must be related
Spencer Emma 28-11-1884 St. George's Cathedral, Kingstown, St. Vincent M Frederick Robert Snodgrass

Edit-you have to ask -who else in the area would be interested in this being put in the local paper.

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 17 Sep 2011 00:34

Spence B.W. 17-07-1885 Warner Place, Stevenston M Annie Wotherspoon, dtr. Of Thomas Wotherspoon, iron moulder

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 17 Sep 2011 00:40

Have you trid Paisley for a Poor relief.or the Mitchell Library ,Glasgow will also have them

Ellie

ellieathome

ellieathome Report 17 Sep 2011 09:59

http://www.tribalpages.com/family-tree/grenadajoseph/3/18/Alfred-Spence-Family