Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Harold Mellor born 1895

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 23 Dec 2011 15:54

Hi all,

I am looking into my mums side of the family, and have once again hit a brick wall, so I'm asking on here after all the help from you previously.

I am looking for further family information on Harold Mellor born 1895, he is the son of William Mellor birth year unknown, Harold married an Elizabeth Hamilton in Prestwich in July 1914 at the age of 19, on the marriage cert which I have a copy of it states Harolds occupation as a pattern painter and his fathers occupation as a Mechanic. I have looked at the 1911 and 1901 census to see if I can locate them, but although I have found 2 entries for Harold and William in the Manchester Lancashire area, but I don't seem to be able to connect them, I have made contact to others with similar entries in their trees and they are not the same people, so I am slightly stuck, could someone please see if they can locate them?

A little more background to Harold and Elizabeth, there address was 6 ernest street on the marriage cert, they definately had 3 children, Ivy 1921, who emigrated to Canada in the 1940's after marrying a canadian soldier, they had Harold (my grandad) in 1924 and also Eunice in 1932 she passed at the age of 11 from TB, I have found a burial for a mellor at the mentioned address in 1916 for an Irene Mellor age 16 mnths, I also found the birth and death of Irene who was born in 1914 in the July quarter, If Irene is conected for definate then Irene birth ect does answer alot of questions in regards to Elizabeth being classed as the blacksheep of her family in later years.

Any help anyone can give is much appreciated xx

Sorry its so long winded xx

Flick

Flick Report 23 Dec 2011 15:58

For 100% accuracy, you need Harold's birth cert

When did he die?

At the moment, you have no way of knowing where he was born........

Flick

Flick Report 23 Dec 2011 16:02

Who witnessed the 1914 marriage?

Helen

Helen Report 23 Dec 2011 16:02

I have no idea Flick, I am not sure when he was born the only thing I know for definate is that in July 1914 he was 19. Its a hard one for me, as I have so little information to go on x

Helen

Helen Report 23 Dec 2011 16:03

William Mellor and Hannah Hamilton were the witnesses x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Dec 2011 16:03

Helen, who were the witnesses to the marriage? EDIT: See that's been answered!

What was Harold's address at the time?

Helen

Helen Report 23 Dec 2011 16:09

they were both living at 6 ernest street and were married in St Marys Prestwich x

Flick

Flick Report 23 Dec 2011 16:13

Can't anyone tell you when he died?

Helen

Helen Report 23 Dec 2011 16:16

I asked my mum but she does not know, the annoying part is that we had a family bible which was started in the later 1700's, but unfortunately it got into the wrong hands and they sold it!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Dec 2011 16:16

6 Ernest Street was the Hamilton's address in 1911:

HAMILTON, Thomas L Head Married M 42 1869 Bricklayer Labourer Manchester Lancs
HAMILTON, Betsy Wife Married 23 years F 45 1866 Weaver Lancashire Radcliffe
HAMILTON, Hannah Daughter Single F 18 1893 Cop Winder Lancashire Radcliffe
HAMILTON, Alizabeth Daughter Single F 16 1895 Tenter Lancashire Radcliffe
HAMILTON, Hetty Daughter F 13 1898 Tenter Lancashire Radcliffe
HAMILTON, Betsy Daughter F 9 1902 School Lancashire Radcliffe
HAMILTON, George Son M 2 1909 Lancashire Radcliffe
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Registration District: Prestwich
Sub District: Prestwich
Enumeration District: 2
Parish: Prestwich

Address: 6 Ernest St Prestwich County: Lancashire

Flick

Flick Report 23 Dec 2011 16:20

If these are the records........Harold was just as much to blame as poor maligned Elizabeth.

It takes two to make a baby

Births Sep 1914 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mellor Irene Hamilton Prestwich 8d 656

Deaths Mar 1916 (>99%)

Mellor Irene 1 Prestwich 8d 396

Helen

Helen Report 23 Dec 2011 16:20

Thanks hun, I never linked the address, I have got the Hamiltons back to the early 1800's,
The other children of Harold and Elizabeth were all born in Chorlton

greyghost

greyghost Report 23 Dec 2011 16:28

I can only see 2 marriages of Male Mellor to female Hamilton between 1900-1940. One in Stoke on Trent would appear to produce 2 children in 1936/1938.
THe other is Harold to Elizabeth and in the Manchester area there are 5 births for Mellor/ mmn Hamilton
Irene - Prestwich 1914, Ivy - Chorlton 1921, Alice - Chorlton 1922, HArold - Chorlton 1924 and Eunice - Manchester South 1932
There is an Alice age 3 dies Manchester North 1925 (was Prestwich RD to 1925)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Dec 2011 16:29

Found his WW1 record:

British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920

Name: Harold Mellor
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1896
Age at enlistment: 22
Residence: 13 Ashworth St, Gorton Rd Openshaw Manchester
Document Year: 1918
Regiment Name: Manchester Regt
Number of images: 20

His next of kin is his wife Elizabeth at the address above. It confirms his wife as Elizabeth Hamilton, married 06 July 1914.

When he enlisted he was 5 foot tall, had brown hair and hazel eyes, and had scars on his buttocks (poor lad!) He was a labourer at the time.

Flick

Flick Report 23 Dec 2011 16:31

Burial: 13 Jan 1916 St Mary the Virgin, Prestwich, Lancashire, England
Irene Mellor -
Abode: 6 Ernest Street, Prestwich
Buried by: William Rowe
Register: Burials 1903 - 1921, Page 260, Entry 2073
Source: Parish Register

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 23 Dec 2011 16:31

It says on his service records he was born in Levenshulme.

Maureen

Helen

Helen Report 23 Dec 2011 16:35

Marieceleste, that could be him, let me just google the address or area, as the only thing my mum can remember is that their address I presume his family, was near to where they lived in Braford Manchester, before their houses were knocked down x

Helen

Helen Report 23 Dec 2011 16:41

Thanks Stuart for the info, I had seen Alice, but was unsure as if she was connected, as like Irene there had never been any mention of her either, although they did talk often of Eunice, and my mum is named after her.
I had seen the deah of Alice as well, but did not connect it again as it was North Manchester, but could well be that she is also their child x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Dec 2011 16:50

A possible 1901 (apologies, I put in service record mother was Elizabeth - that was his wife, have amended).

MELLOR, William Head Married M 29 1872 Polisher (Velvet Works) Manchr Lancashire
MELLOR, Maggie Wife Married F 29 1872 Manchr Lancashire
MELLOR, Alice Daughter F 9 1892 Salford Lancashire
MELLOR, Willie Son M 7 1894 Levenshulme Lancashire
MELLOR, Harold Son M 5 1896 Levenshulme Lancashire
Registration District: Chorlton
Civil Parish: Levenshulme

Address: 3, Farm Lane, Levenshulme County: Lancashire

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Dec 2011 16:53

Same family in 1911 (Gorton Road sounds familiar from service record)

MELLOR, William Husband Married M 39 1872 Turner (Engravers) Hulme
MELLOR, Maggie H Wife Married 20 years F 39 1872 Housewife Hulme
MELLOR, Harold Son M 15 1896 Errand Boy Levesnshulme
MELLOR, Albert Son M 9 1902 School Levesnshulme
MELLOR, Thomas Son M 3 1908 Levesnshulme

Registration District: Chorlton
Sub District: Ardwick
Enumeration District: 27
Parish: South Manchester

Address: 35 Gorton Road Openshaw County: Lancashire

** William & Maggie had 5 children at that time, all still alive.