Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Margaret O'Rouke born 12/08/1916 in Ireland

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 19 May 2012 11:01

Hi All, I am looking for information regarding my grandmother's family. My grandmother, Margaret O'Rourke, was born on 12th August 1916, in Ireland. She grew up in Riverstown, Co. Sligo. Her father was Michael O'Rourke, a farmer. We do not know of her mother's name as we believe she died when my grandmother was young. Margaret was later brought up in a nunnery and she had two younger brothers, again we do not know there names, and they were sent to a monastery. My grandmother moved to England at some stage and married my Grandfather, Joseph Kelly, in Brentford Middlesex in 1944 (I have the marraige certificate). Joseph was born in Ballivor, Co. Meath, Ireland on 18th March 1919 and his father's name was Michael Kelly. I have found a potential birth record for Margaret O'Rourke but without being able to see the father's name I have no idea how I can proceed. If anyone could give me any information on how I can find out more about my ancestors I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Gee

Gee Report 19 May 2012 11:14

Where have you found a possible birth for her, I cant see one at the moment

There is a record on this site but you have to buy credits to veiw

http://ifhf.rootsireland.ie/

Gee

Gee Report 19 May 2012 11:21

Is this the one you have found?

Ireland, Civil Registration Births Index, 1864-1958
Name: Margaret Mary O'Rourke
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1916
Registration district: Boyle
Birth Country: Ireland
Volume: 4
Page: 634
FHL Film Number: 101076

Flip

Flip Report 19 May 2012 11:21

None of the 5 Margaret O'Rourkes on rootsireland (1915-1917) had a father Michael, but they don't have 100% coverage in their records.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 19 May 2012 11:28

Hi Gins, yes that is the record I have found but I'm new to this researching so I have no idea if it is even what I am looking for!!

Thanks Flip, how did you know the father's names on the records? I have not been able to find any!

Thank you again both.

Gee

Gee Report 19 May 2012 11:33

You can search rootsire and enter the fathers mane too. But as Flip says, its not a complete data base of BMDs

You'll need to order the certificate, you can do it online here

http://www.groireland.ie/

Edit: She doesnt use the middle name Mary on her marriage or death, its not unknown for people to drop or add a middle name though

Flip

Flip Report 19 May 2012 11:35

On rootsireland you can search for free (have to register though), without putting in a fathers name 5 births came up but when I put in a fathers name of Mic* or Michael none came up.

That way, although you can't see the details without paying you can eliminate the non-relevant records, but like I said they haven't got 100% coverage.

Gee

Gee Report 19 May 2012 11:43

This is a complete guess for the parents marriage

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958
Name: Michael O'Rourke
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1914
Registration district: Boyle
Volume: 4
Page: 69
FHL Film Number: 101262

Spouse: Anne Early or Julia Guihen

Just posting in case the names ring a bell?

What is her fathers occupation on the marriage certificate?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 19 May 2012 11:43

Excellent thank you. I have just tried registering the website. am waiting for the activation e-mail to come through.

You mention ordering the birth certificiate but when I tried to it wanted to know the mothers name and I don't know it? Is there any other way or am I stuck?

Thank you.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 19 May 2012 11:45

Thanks Gin. I will have to speak to my dad's family to find out if they recognise any of the names. Unfortunately my nan died when I was young so I haven't got a lot of information to go on :(.

Gee

Gee Report 19 May 2012 11:48

What was her fathers occupation on marriage cert?

I think you can order her birth without the mothers name

You could try entering 'unknown' in the mothers section. They should be able to find the certificate with the full DOB/father and ref No

Susan

Susan Report 19 May 2012 11:50

There is this passage on Ancestry that looks interesting

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Margaret Orourke Name: Margaret Orourke
Arrival Date: 23 Dec 1924
Birth Year: abt 1916
Birth Location: United States of America
Birth Location Other: New York
Ethnicity/RaceĀ­/Nationality: Irish
Port of Departure: Cobh, Ireland
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Cedric
Search Ship Database: Search the Cedric in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

Her Father is Michael and Mother Bridget,two children are Traveling with them
Margaret looks like 8 yrs
Ellen looks like 5.
Strange thing is there is a line crossed through both the children's names and it states.
The details of the nearest person( next of kin )in the country they are leaving , on Michael's it says Mother Margaret O'roarke care sharer of daughters.
likewise with Bridget it states Mother In Law Care sharer of daughters.
I don't know what this means maybe Margarets Parents left them to be brought up by there Grandmother.

I hope it is of help to you.
Sue

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 19 May 2012 11:51

It says that Michael O'Rourke was a farmer on the marriage certificate. I understand that the next census (after 1911) won't be available until 2027 to view, is that right?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 19 May 2012 11:54

Thanks Sue. I have not heard my family mention America at all but you never know! My Nan never really spoke about her childhood so it is a lot of guess work it seems. If I went to Ireland is there any likelihood that I would find out more? I am not sure what records you can access over there and what information they would provide.

Gee

Gee Report 19 May 2012 12:01

Irish census info

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/help/history.html

Gee

Gee Report 19 May 2012 12:06

I think the line through the childrens names means they didnt travel?

The shipping record also has Margaret as being born in the US

Oh dont you just love the Irish records ;-)

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 19 May 2012 12:17

Yes, they certainly know how to keep you guessing!!

And.. they all seems to be called the same! Typical.

Susan

Susan Report 19 May 2012 12:47

Hi Elizabeth

It also states that Micheal is a farm lab on this same record.

May have some connection.
The shipping record I am looking at says all born Ireland and destination NY
Sue

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 19 May 2012 13:58

Thanks Sue. Very grateful for your help.

Gee

Gee Report 19 May 2012 14:03

Sorry Sue

Youre right it does say Ireland, its the transcription that states USA...wrong of course