Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

william dixon born 1885 wardley durham...UPDATE

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 28 Dec 2013 11:26

William Dixon my great grandfather born 1885. was a driver in the royal army service corps. I have him on the 1911 census. According to family history my great grandma Margaret Dixon (nee Caldwell born 1889) married Frederick Simmonds in 1927 which I have found her marriage but I cant find William Dixon's death. His daughter's marriage certificate in 1940 states her father has passed away.
There is a death in 1927 for a William Dixon which I have received the death cert but it is the wrong one....
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Dec 2013 11:27

Have you checked to see if he died in WW1

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 28 Dec 2013 11:29

Hey Shirley. It appears that he survived the war as his daughter my nan was born in 1919 and another son in 1927....

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Dec 2013 11:30

What about this one ?

DIXON, WILLIAM

Driver
Service No:
Date of Death:
28/10/1918
Regiment/Service:
Royal Field Artillery

104th Bty. 22nd Bde.
Panel Reference

Memorial
GIAVERA MEMORIAL

EDIT

Armed Forces registration event: Death

Name: DIXON, William
Unit: Royal Field Artillery
Number: 37097
Year: 1918
Volume: A.4
Page: 379
Record source: GRO War Death Army Other Ranks (1914 to 1921)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Dec 2013 11:31

Our posts crossed

Is he named as the father on both birth certs

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 28 Dec 2013 11:34

on Ellen's yes (my nan) I haven't got the next son who is Frederick born 1927...

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Dec 2013 11:34

What area did they live in ?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Dec 2013 11:35

Big age gap so maybe the birth cert of the later child may help

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 28 Dec 2013 11:37

thanks Shirley.... appreciate it....
he is just one of those relatives driving me nuts...

Flip

Flip Report 28 Dec 2013 12:40

The later son, was not registered as Dixon - I think he was born just after the re-marriage. Check it out on freebmd.

Chances are he died in the war, but I can't find a military record for him - other than the possible death posted by Shirley, and there is also this man's medal card on ancestry.

Unfortunately the medal card does not give an address, age or anything else to prove/disprove the death.

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 28 Dec 2013 12:53

Thanks flip... I rang my dad in Sydney and he has told me that he remembers his grandpa....????? He didn't leave England till 1956 as a ten pound Pom so maybe I am on the wrong track even though it states Deceases on grand marriage cert

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Dec 2013 12:56

But didnt Margaret remarry ??

do you have that cert it will give her marital status on it

maybe the grandad he remembered was the second hubby

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 28 Dec 2013 12:56

oopps that's GRAN's marriage cert

Flip

Flip Report 28 Dec 2013 13:15

I think your gran Ellen was William/Margaret's last child, the later child would have been her half brother as he was born to Frederick/Margaret after their marriage. So if your dad remembers his grandpa, it would most likely be Margaret's second husband.

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 28 Dec 2013 13:30

flip... I am sitting here trying to work this out and was thinking the same thing... dad tells me he went to fred's wedding so it must be his step granddad...
but then we are back to the beginning.... gran was born in 1919 so we assume her dad was William Dixon cause that's what her birth cert says... and her marriage cert in 1940 says he is deceased. but why cant I find his death... I have the cert for the 1927 death but its not him.....

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Dec 2013 13:34

But what is Margaret s marital status when she married Fredrick Simmonds

Plus there may have been a porky given on Ellens birth cert .it has been known !!

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 28 Dec 2013 13:46

Shirley.... you could be so right.... maybe they separated she had an affair... had freddy... first husband died/disappeared she married the first freddy... and when nan married he had actually died...
when I thought the 1927 death was his I did notice that he died she remarried and Freddie turned up VERY quickly and it crossed my mind that he could have been either Williams or the first fred....
naughty nan......
I think another purchase of her second marriage cert may have to be the way to go... or just live with it....and speculate... :-S :-S

Flip

Flip Report 28 Dec 2013 13:46

If the WW1 death found by Shirley is your William, then either there was a very long pregnancy or your g.grandmother was not his - I see she was registered in quarter 1 of 1920, so I assume born in December 1919.

I've checked National archives for a divorce for Margaret, but there's nothing showing - so I assume William was already dead??

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 28 Dec 2013 13:49

hhhhmmmmmmmm........... Margaret may have been keeping company with Freddie a lot earlier than the records suggest.......

Kim Annette

Kim Annette Report 28 Dec 2013 13:49

yes dec 1919......