Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish Connections

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PaulMorfitt

PaulMorfitt Report 25 Aug 2014 22:10

Hello fellow searchers :-) :-)
My tree is now well over 700 but I am still busy following my main family lines of both sets of grandparents. I am in need of some major help if anyone could please :-D
On my dad's side, my gran was Doreen Smith born in 1923 near Hornsea in East Yorkshire, her dad was the local Blacksmith, her mum was a Butlin (Marie). Her dad was Clarke Butlin born in 1864, he had a brother called Thomas (1875), George (1878) and Malcolm (1880). Their parents were George Butlin born in Northampton in 1838 and his wife was Maud or Maria born in 1836 in Belfast ! This is were I really need help, I am dearly wanting to know what my Irish connections might be !
If anyone has any of these people on their own tree's or knows how I can find out any further information I would be eternally grateful !
My ran always said that there was a connection to Billy Butlin but I have never been too sure about that, they did have a free honeymoon at Butlin's at Skegness given to them by a "Butlin"

Anyway, if anyone could help I would be deeply grateful :-) :-) :-) :-)

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Aug 2014 22:13

Find the marriage between George and his wife, for info about her father.

For links on here, look in search all trees

PaulMorfitt

PaulMorfitt Report 25 Aug 2014 22:17

Thank's Jacqueline !

Sadly I am 99% that is a different George, I nearly tripped up with him, Its the marriage I have been looking for but with no luck so far :-(

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Aug 2014 22:18

For a point of reference

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Lister Street, Holy Trinity and St Mary, Hull, Yorkshire, England

Print household transcription Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
George Butlin Head Married Male 53 1838 Master Mariner Northampton Image Transcription
Maud Butlin Wife Married Female 54 1837 - Antrim, Ireland Image Transcription
Clarke Butlin Son Single Male 27 1864 Master Mariner Liverpool Image Transcription
George Butlin Son - Male 13 1878 Scholar - Image Transcription
Malcolm Butlin Son - Male 11 1880 Scholar - Image Transcription

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Aug 2014 22:19

A copy of this will give you the maiden name of the mother

Births Dec 1863 (>99%)
BUTLIN Clarke W Derby 8b 419

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Aug 2014 22:26

Births Mar 1880 (>99%)
BUTLIN Malcolm Johnston Hull 9d 221

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Aug 2014 22:29

The wife/mother is named as Maria in 1881,1901 and 1911

What name was her death registered with?

PaulMorfitt

PaulMorfitt Report 25 Aug 2014 22:34

That's the problems I am having, some say Marie, others say Maud and I can find no death record yet. I have matched a tree with a George Butlin born 1838 and sent a message to see if he is the same man, hopefully I will have some luck with that line !
Thanks for your help so far though Jacqueline :)

PaulMorfitt

PaulMorfitt Report 25 Aug 2014 22:35

That's the problems I am having, some say Marie, others say Maud and I can find no death record yet. I have matched a tree with a George Butlin born 1838 and sent a message to see if he is the same man, hopefully I will have some luck with that line !

PaulMorfitt

PaulMorfitt Report 25 Aug 2014 22:36

PaulMorfitt

PaulMorfitt Report 25 Aug 2014 22:38

PaulMorfitt

PaulMorfitt

PaulMorfitt

PaulMorfitt

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Aug 2014 22:42

If you get a copy of one of the birth certs, you'll have facts

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Aug 2014 22:43

Where have you looked?

Deaths Jun 1914 (>99%)
Butlin Maria 78 Sculcoates 9d 183

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 26 Aug 2014 09:33

Odds are that the MMN was Johnston, in view of Malcolm's second name

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 26 Aug 2014 10:01

Wondering about this marriage

Name: George Butlin
Marriage Date: 6 Jun 1861
Marriage Place: Blythswood,Glasgow,Lanark,Scotland
Spouse: Maria Johnston
FHL Film Number: 6035516

If you buy credits for Scotlandspeople you will be able to view the actual entry. That will give you tha names of both parents including the mothers' maiden surnames.

greyghost

greyghost Report 26 Aug 2014 10:19

A tree on Ancestry has George married to Maria West - Hinkley, Leicestershire but goes on to say "possible only" - alternative is Maria Johnston married in Glasgow 6.6.1861 (as found by rootgatherer)

It also sites a MAtes Certificate for April 1861 in Glasgow - but have now lost Ancestry connection so can't look any further at present