Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Margaret Dennett

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 2 Nov 2015 19:33

I have just received the birth certificate of Thomas Dennett in 1848, giving his parents as James Dennett and Margaret. The certificate says Margaret Dennett, late Houghton formerly Fairclough (at least I think it says late, can't read it properly). I'm not finding a previous marriage for Margaret so can anyone suggest what the above could mean.
I have James born in 1802 and Margaret born in 1809, both in St. Helens. Their first child, Elizabeth, was born abt. 1840.

Thanks.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Nov 2015 19:39

Looks like the previous marriage may have been pre 1837 reg

Have you got the marriage cert for James and Margaret as not seeing it ?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Nov 2015 19:49

Looks like them on the 1851 census

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Chapel Lane, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
James Dennett Head Married Male 49 1802 Journey Man Clock Maker St Helens, Lancashire, England Transcription
Margaret Dennett Wife Married Female 42 1809 - St Helens, Lancashire, England Transcription
Elizabeth Dennett Daughter - Female 11 1840 - Liverpool, Lancashire, England Transcription
Thomas Dennett Son - Male 2 1849. - Liverpool Lancashire

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 2 Nov 2015 19:57

Possible first marriage

Marriage: 7 Apr 1834 St Mary the Virgin, Prescot, Lancashire, England
John Houghton - Comb maker, bachelor, Windle
Margaret Fairclough - (X), spinster, Windle
Witness: James Fairclough, (X); Margaret Pickavance, (X)
Married by Banns by: John Edwards - Curate

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 2 Nov 2015 20:08

Sorry Shirley, don't have the certificate for James and Margaret's marriage, just guessing it's around 1839 as first child born 1840. That's definitely them though in the 1851 census.

Beverley, that certainly looks like a very strong possibility. Where did you find it, I've spent ages looking. I'll see if I can find a death for John Houghton ... that would explain the 'late Houghton' on the certificate.

Thanks.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Nov 2015 20:16

Yvonne ............

that marriage record is from the following site .........

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

it's a free site that is excellent for Lancashire, and a few other counties alos have good records. The opc (Online Parish Clerks) is a volunteer organisation that is slowly but surely transcribing parish records.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Nov 2015 20:18

you'll now have to see if you can find a death for John Houghton, and a re-marriage for Margaret.

I can't see either on the lancs-opc, but I might be missing soemthing

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 2 Nov 2015 20:31

Thanks Sylvia, I'll definitely check that site out. I've just had a look for a death for John Houghton and there seem to be two, one in 1838 and one in 1839. My guess is the 1838 one. I checked out FMP for a marriage of James but there's only one shows up and none are to Margaret. Bit of a mystery.

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 2 Nov 2015 20:31

I could see 3 or 4 burials for an adult John Houghton in Lancs., between 1834 and 1850 and found it impossible to determine which could be the right man.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Nov 2015 20:38

now, this is interesting ................

on the 1851 Census, James Dennett is shown as Journeyman Clockmaker, address 12 Chapel Lane

I found this baptism on lancs-opc ............

Baptism: 8 Sep 1835 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Thomas Dennett - [Child] of James Dennett & Elizabeth
Abode: Bolton St
Baptised by: Thos. Halton Curate
Register: Baptisms 1835 - 1836, Page 20, Entry 158
Source: LDS Film 1656421 (and 1656422)

could they both have been married before, and so unable to get married?????

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 2 Nov 2015 20:41

Thanks Beverley - I just went with the dates up to 1840 since that's when the first child was born, but I could only find the two mentioned above. I don't suppose it's worth getting a death certificate because unless Margaret was the one who registered the death it wouldn't help.

I can't find a marriage of James and Margaret, so wonder if they actually did marry.. I've also looked for them on 1841 census but no luck. It's definitely them on 1851 census.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Nov 2015 20:42

hmmmm

James Dennet born ca 1806 , Clockmaker, is with Elizabeth and child Ann (no young Thomas) on the 1841 Census. Address 1 Birmingham Street

Name Age
James Dennett 35
Elizabeth Dennett 30
Ann Dennett 3

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 2 Nov 2015 21:04

That is interesting Sylvia. I've just checked my records again though and I have Thomas married to Annie Birchall in 1868. They are both aged 19 on the certificate so that would make Thomas born abt. 1849, so that fits with the birth certificate for 1848 that I've just received. His father is shown as James Dennett, clockmaker.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Nov 2015 21:09

I wondered if the first Thomas, son of James and Elizabeth, died before the 1841 Census?

You would still have the correct records for the one born in 1848 to James and Margaret.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 2 Nov 2015 21:33

I suppose that's possible, there is a death record for a Thomas for 1839.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 2 Nov 2015 21:53

I've just tried searching in the 1861 census for James and Margaret but can't find them there, but I did find a Thomas age 13 living with grandparents Richard Bolton and ? Bolton. Not sure what this tells me though.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Nov 2015 22:24

don't know if you have this, from ancestry ...........

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Name: Thomas Dennett
Birth Date: 22 Aug 1848
Baptism Date: 6 Sep 1848
Baptism Place: St Patrick, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Father: James Dennett
Mother: Margaret Fairclough
FHL Film Number: 396376
Reference ID: v 3

Unfortunately, I can't see the image to see their address, etc

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 2 Nov 2015 22:30

Yes, that's him, as shown on birth cert. mentioned above. The address is shown as 5 Ashton St., Toxteth Park.

Thanks.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Nov 2015 22:35

re that 1861 Census for Thomas, which I had also found, and thought probable.

This baptism for Margaret Dennett / Houghton / Fairclough is on lancs-opc

Baptism: 13 Aug 1809 St Mary the Virgin, Prescot, Lancashire, England
Margaret Fairclough - Daur. of James Fairclough & Ellen
Born: 3 Aug
Abode: Windle
Register: Baptisms 1766 - 1809, Page 202, Entry 27
Source: LDS Film 1657583

Possible that Ellen later married Richard Bolton?????

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 2 Nov 2015 23:29

There seems to quite a few Dennetts - all clock or watch makers

Maybe the Elizabeth on the1851 was not the daughter of James & Margaret but James and ???? or was born Elizabeth Houghton daughter of John & Margaret