Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Arthur Leopold Hughes, a conundrum

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 11 Feb 2018 11:28

After a break of many years, I am once again trying to make sense of my sons' paternal great grandfather, Arthur Leopold Hughes.

Working backwards, on my mother-in-law's birth certificate, February 1903, her father is Arthur Leopold Hughes, Upholsterer; mother is Amelia Hughes, nee Collins.

31 August 1901, St. Giles, London, he married Amelia Collins. His occupation on certificate is Upholsterer. Father's name Alfred Arthur Hughes (dec'd), occupation "Secretary to Maharajah of Madras" (which I think was his little joke).

1901 Census (transcribed as Arther Hughes), shown living in London as boarder, born Marylebone, London, c1872 occupation Upholsterer.

So far so good then.

The only birth I can find for Arthur Leopold Hughes in Marylebone is Feb 1873, father Alfred Arthur Hughes, Photographer, and Antonia Hughes nee Pilarski.

The only marriage I can find for Antonia Pilarski is to George Power, Leeds, 1888.

No sign of marriage for Alfred Arthur Hughes.

1881 census shows a George and Antonia Power, Actor and Actress, in Marylebone, with son Artil, c1875.

1881 also shows Alfred Hughes, c1849, unmarried, living with parents in Kensington, occupation Photographer's Assistant.

Death of Arthur Alfred Hughes(1849–1886)
24 Sep 1886 • Middlesex, England

From Free BMD: Marriages Mar 1880
PILARSKI Antonia Leeds 9b 610
Power George Leeds 9b 610

1891 shows George and Antonia in lodgings in Leeds, with Arthur L Hughes, 1871, comedian.

So how safe is it to assume that the 1891 Arthur L Hughes, comedian, is the 1901 Arther Hughes, Upholsterer? If so, a rather strange change in occupation - though if he wanted to marry Amelia, perhaps he decided to settle down. I am also aware of the George Power/Lemon/Leclerq connection.

Arthur Leopold went on to be in charge of the timber production in Argentina for Maples of London - I have found records of a few transatlantic crossings.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Feb 2018 11:39

As birth registration wasn't compulsory until 1875, it may be that his birth wasn't actually registered

How old did he say he was on his wedding day?

Janet

Janet Report 11 Feb 2018 11:42

In addition, mother-in-law said that her mother, Amelia, died, father remarried and then also died, leaving everything to his new wife, so mother-in-law at the age of 30 something had to find a job to support herself.

I have found no records to support this.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Feb 2018 11:50

Is this your MIL?

HUGHES, DOROTHY COLLINS Order
GRO Reference: 1903 M Quarter in ISLINGTON Volume 01B Page 187 Order

Janet

Janet Report 11 Feb 2018 11:50

Arthur Leopold Hughes age 29 on marriage certificate in 1901 - so c1872.

Janet

Janet Report 11 Feb 2018 11:51

Mother in law is Dorothy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Feb 2018 11:52

Have you found Dorothy in 1911?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Feb 2018 11:57

What a tangle, Jan!

It sounds as though Alfred and Antonia were never married, but she called herself Hughes for respectability on Arthur's birth cert..

Then they separated between 1873 and 1880.

Re Arthur Leopold, yes, it sounds as if the comedian and the upholsterer are the same person.
He may have decided (or been forced ) to settle down when marrying Amelia ("Get a proper job, young man!"), or maybe he hadn't wanted to be a comedian in the first place, but just drifted into being one as long as he was living with his mother and step-father.

Janet

Janet Report 11 Feb 2018 12:01

No, I believe they were in Argentina when the 1911 was taken. Hoping I can survive until the 1921 comes on line.

Janet

Janet Report 11 Feb 2018 12:16

ArgyllGran, that is exactly how I read it, but it is so annoying not to be able to be certain.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 11 Feb 2018 12:47

Gosh what a tangle and by the occupation on the marriage cert of Secretary to Maharajah of Madras which one was the comedian???????

Janet

Janet Report 11 Feb 2018 13:12

Yes, I think that might be a clue that the Upholsterer was indeed the Comedian :)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 11 Feb 2018 14:48

Is this their return to UK?

Arthur Hughes
in the UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
Birth Date:
abt 1872
Port of Departure:
La Plata, Argentina
Arrival Date:
9 May 1914
Port of Arrival:
London, England
Ship Name:
Highland Rover

He's with wife Amelia, 36 and daughter Dorothy 11.
I can't make out his occupation, possibly furnisher?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 11 Feb 2018 15:06

Outgoing passenger list:

Mr A L Hughes
in the UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960
Name:
Mr A L Hughes
Birth Date:
abt 1873
Departure Date:
30 Jul 1914
Port of Departure:
London, England
Destination Port:
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Ship Name:
Highland Rover

He's Mr.A.L., 41 ,she's Mrs. A.36, and daughter is Miss D., 11.
Future permanent residence is Argentina for him and Uruguay for mother & daughter.
His occupation is manager.

Mary

Mary Report 11 Feb 2018 15:17

Arthur leopold Hughes married Kathleen Maude f Lynch in York A/M/J 1893 she was born in Bengal India.I can't find any sign of her after marriage!

V9d P53

Maryb.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 11 Feb 2018 15:31

A tree on Ancestry says that Arthur Leopold was born 1872, Glasgow and shows him there on the 1891 census with parents Arthur & Mary.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Feb 2018 15:49

That Ancestry tree is all wrong, I think.

One of these births (probably the second one) will be the one the tree owner means - no mention of the name Leopold, nor on the census:

HUGHES
ARTHUR
M
701/ 173
WEST CALDER

HUGHES
ARTHUR
M
644/5 444
Clyde

In 1891 he's a packer, and his father is a coal dealer.

Janet

Janet Report 11 Feb 2018 16:19

I am aware of the Scottish one, but do not think he's my Arthur Leopold - though I have contacted the tree owner who includes the Scottish one to try and get some more information. No reply yet, sadly.

I have found the records of travel between England and Argentina, they went back and forth quite regularly. As I said in my original mail above, "Arthur Leopold went on to be in charge of the timber production in Argentina for Maples of London - I have found records of a few transatlantic crossings."

Now I have another problem though - I thought his father, Arthur Alfred, died in 1886; probate information showed he left his estate to his half-brother Richard, photographer. Now I believe I have found him in both the 1901 and 1911 censuses, as Alfred Hughes, Carpenter. Yes, I know, it sounds crazy, but in the 1881 his father was a carpenter, at 1 Princes Mews, Kensington with AA's younger sister Harriet; in 1901 Alfred is carpenter at 2 Princes Yard, Kensington, with younger sister Harriet - which might mean he took over his father's business. I keep trying to tell myself that it doesn't matter, but you all know that it does.

And still trying to find Arthur Leopold's second marriage, c1934.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 11 Feb 2018 16:22

That 1893 Marriage reference on FMP...(29 Bachelor occ.Sergeant, Cavalry Barracks, York. His Father, William Hughes, occ. Station Master)

Chris :)

(not a lot of time at present!, but Newspaper snippets coming up!)

09 February 1879 - The Era - London, London, England

Advertisements & Notices
Repertoire. LITTLE HARRY BOLTON, Mr J. MAYDEW, All late of Mr GEORGE POWER, Ted Lauri's Troupe. Mr HARRY PARRATT, and Mdme. PILARSKI, from Theatre Royal, Bradford. Tour commences Easter. Address, THEATRE ROYAL, BRADFORD; or, Agent, Mr Ted Lauri, Pavilion ...

23 February 1889 - The Era - London, London, England

AMUSEMENTS IN LIVERPOOL.
The artists announced on Monday were Fox and Fox, athletes; Geo. Power and Rose Pilarski...

23 May 1891 - The Era - London, London, England

AMUSEMENTS IN HULL.
George Power's comedy combination includes Leo Hughes, H. Lorreano, and Rose Pilarski, their sketch A Wild Delusion is well rendered;

14 February 1885 - The Era - London, London, England

PROVINCIAL THEATRICALS.

... was indisposed and unable to appear on the 4th, and at a very short notice her place was adequately filled by Miss Rose Pilarski (Mrs G. Power).

Janet

Janet Report 11 Feb 2018 16:56

I have a few from stage publications referring to George Power's Comedy Combination (George Power, Arthur Fenwicke, Leo Hughes and Rose Pilarski) "A Wild Delusion", in May and August 1890, Feb 1891 George Powers combination, followed by the Harlow's with donkey and bear, and the Royal, Great Grimsby, May 1892.

Unfortunately I don't have a subscription to magazines or newspapers, I think there must have been a free weekend offer a few years ago.