Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Robert Brand (Glasgow)

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 13 Sep 2018 09:52

Looking for any info on Robert Brand who married a Mary (possibly Palmer ?)circa 1935? in Glasgow.
They had a son-Thomas P born in 1940-in Glasgow & several other children,
I'm struggling on where to look for info on this.
Had a look on Scotlands People & can't find a (definite) marriage,I think I've got Thomas's birth.
Any help on where to look?
Looked on this site & been in contact with a few people,but they only had the basic info I have..
(I have info on Thomas P's marriage )

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Sep 2018 10:20

Thomas P’s birth certificate should give you his mother’s maiden name & where they were married. I was under the impression that Scottish marriage cert also gave the mother’s maiden name? Did Thomas P marry in a different country?

As you are no doubt aware, the birth references on Scotlandspeople don’t show mmn. You might have to take the plunge & purchase a copy.
A DC usually lists the names & ages of surviving children, as known by the informant.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 13 Sep 2018 10:43

Only 1855 Scottish death certificates name children(surviving or deceased). That was the first year of statutory registration and the hadn't really decided what information to record. Marriage and death certificates usually name both parents and include the mother's maiden name if known.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Sep 2018 10:44

I stand corrected! :-)

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 13 Sep 2018 10:55

No problem +++DetEcTive+++. It's quite confusing as, I think, it was about 1860 before the powers that be finally decided what information should be on the certificates. They remained unchanged for about a century then they started adding the mother's occupation to birth certificates and death certificates.

I am not seeing a birth for a Thomas P Brand in Glasgow ( or anywhere) in Scotland in 1940.

Paul

Paul Report 13 Sep 2018 11:00

Thomas P married in Barrow-in-Furness in 1960.Fathers name-Robert,mothers name-Mary.
Don't know mothers maiden name-said to possibly be Palmer.I'll probably have to get a copy of Thomas's marriage or birth cerificate.I know where to get the marriage one,unsure of where to get the birth.I know he was born in 1940 & do know the exact date.
I can't find a marriage of a Robert Brand to a Mary Palmer though?

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 13 Sep 2018 11:03

Paul, do you know the names of any of his siblings please?

Are you thinking the the "P" is for Palmer?

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 13 Sep 2018 11:15

You would order the birth certificate through Scotlandspeople but there is no Thomas P Brand birth in 1940 !

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 13 Sep 2018 11:16

Any idea where or when Thomas P's parents died please?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Sep 2018 11:34

As he married in England, the certificate will only show his father’s name, not his mother’s. However, one of witnesses might be from his family rather than the bride’s or friends. That could help trace other relatives.
Hopefully it’ll also give his full name, including a middle one.

Like rootgatherer, I couldn’t see a birth for a Thomas P in the correct time frame. Have you considered that although he may have grown up in Scotland, he may have been born elsewhere? If his father had been conscripted into the services , his mother may have followed him to wherever he was initially posted.
If she had relatives outside of Scotland, she may have moved there.

Paul

Paul Report 13 Sep 2018 11:52

Thomas P was born 16/03 1940 in Glasgow. He did have siblings-Robert,Alexander,Mary,Ella & Millie (I've found Millicent in the Scotlands People records) The P isn't for Palmer.It's for Patrick (we think-not 100%).The family lived in the Gorbals area,Govan,Glasgow. Unsure of where/when Robert & Mary died.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Sep 2018 12:03

Could Patrick have been added as a baptismal name?

Potential birth
BRAND
THOMAS
M
644/12 228
Maryhill (Glasgow)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Sep 2018 12:04

This is the only birth of a Thomas Brand in Glasgow in 1940 - no middle initial:

BRAND
THOMAS
M
644/12 228
Maryhill

The only Millicent Brand ever born in Scotland:

BRAND
MILLICENT
F
644/10 396
Milton

Flip

Flip Report 13 Sep 2018 12:08

He is recorded as Thomas Brand (no middle initial) on the ERs 2001-2013 still in Barrow (LA13) with wife Maureen D according to 192.com. He either married her in the registry office or non-conformist (eg catholic) church.

If you are looking for him maybe someone with FMP could look up the address for you and you can check whether the property has been sold recently?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Sep 2018 12:09

That Millicent married Alexander McKenzie in 1959 in Milton.

Her mother's name was Devine.

Her death:

BRAND
MILLICENT
mms DEVINE
672/ 337
Irvine

MCKENZIE
MILLICENT
mms DEVINE
672/ 337
Irvine

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Sep 2018 12:10

So this is the parents' marriage:

BRAND
ROBERT
DEVINE
MARY JANE
644/10 2140
Blythswood

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 13 Sep 2018 12:11

Are you certain of Thomas's year of birth please?

I keep coming back to this marriage. Just a gut feeling, nothing positive.

BRAND
ROBERT
DEVINE
MARY JANE
644/10 2140
Blythswood
View image (6 credits)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Sep 2018 12:13

Death of a Thomas Brand mms Devine - but clearly not the right one re age;

BRAND
THOMAS