Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Difficult to find Marriage

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joseph

Joseph Report 30 May 2007 04:32

Mary Conway b c1851Newton Lancashire , Lived mostly in Flint N.Wales. Married a person named Mr.' Welsh' She is single in the Flint 1871 Census. Has a child named George Welsh in 1877 possibly in Canada / USA have worked all day on it without a definite bite. Her Parents are Peter and Bridget Conway. i

Sam

Sam Report 30 May 2007 08:46

As you don't know for certain where George Welsh was born I assume you don't have his birth certificate and therefore his fathers name. In that case, how do you know Mary Conway ever married Mr Welsh? How are you certain that Mary Conway is the mother of George Welsh? Do you have Mary in any census after 1871? Sam x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 May 2007 10:12

If the child was born in N. America, maybe his parents married there. You can't really hope to make accurate progress without obtaining the birth cert........... Reg

Joseph

Joseph Report 30 May 2007 22:12

I have MaryConway in the 1871UK Census but not after that Also Mary is the only one not accounted for of the right age. I have searched the USA & Canada & Uk with out any combination of a Conway and Welsh names. The possibility is that George Welsh was an illigitmate child and thats why he returned to be with his grandparents in Flint.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 30 May 2007 22:37

Joe, you say that George Welsh returned to live with his grandparents? Do you have him on a census after he returned? If so, surely it would say whether he was born in Canada or US? Margaret

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 May 2007 22:41

1891 Name: George Welsh Age: 14 Estimated birth year: abt 1877 Relation: Grandson Gender: Male Where born: United States, Canada Civil parish: Flint Ecclesiastical parish: Flint Town: Flint County/Island: Flintshire Country: Wales Registration district: Holywell Sub-registration district: Flint ED, institution, or vessel: 10 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Bridget Conway 62 Peter Conway 62 Elizabeth Jackson 4 George Welsh 14 Reg

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 30 May 2007 22:46

Where born: United States Canada??? How dare they! Don't they know that we're two seperate and distinct countries? And of course Canada is so much better, right Joe?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 May 2007 23:07

Of course Canada is better!!! Sylvia in British Columbia!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 May 2007 23:11

Sorry ..... just deleted 2 messages re George Walsh, born Canada, stepson of Richard Hayes, mother Mary ...................... ............. NOT your family Sylvia.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 31 May 2007 03:06

The image actually says Canada America. I assume this means he was born in Canada part of North America. Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 31 May 2007 04:48

Here he is in 1901 with Mary: 1901 Wales Census about George Walsh Name: George Walsh Age in 1901: 22 Estimated birth year: abt 1879 Relation: Stepson Mother's name: Mary Gender: Male Where born: Montrose, Canada Civil parish: Flint Ecclesiastical parish: Flint St Mary Town: Flint County/Island: Flintshire Country: Wales Registration district: Holywell Sub-registration district: Flint ED, institution, or vessel: 10 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 203 Household Members: Name Age Mary Hayes 40 Peter Hayes 14 Richard Hayes 55 George Walsh 22 Image says Montreal. Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 31 May 2007 05:05

Marriages Dec 1883 Hayes Richard Holywell 11b 434 WALSH Mary Holywell 11b 434 Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 31 May 2007 05:08

1891: 1891 Wales Census about Richard Hays Name: Richard Hays Age: 47 Estimated birth year: abt 1844 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Mary Gender: Male Where born: Flint, Flintshire, Wales Civil parish: Flint Ecclesiastical parish: Flint Town: Flint County/Island: Flintshire Country: Wales Street address: View image Condition as to marriage: View image Education: View image Employment status: View image Occupation: View image Registration district: Holywell Sub-registration district: Flint ED, institution, or vessel: 10 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Caroline Hays 17 Henry Hays 20 James Hays 3 John Hays 10 Mary Hays 35 Peter Hays 5 Richard Hays 47 George Walsh 14 Canada John Walsh 11 Canada Rose

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 31 May 2007 05:27

Well done, Rose. Ozi.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 May 2007 06:13

Hi Rose & Ozibird, That's the one I deleted 'cos Richard and Mary Hayes with stepson George Walsh turn up in 1891 when George Welsh is with the Conways. I decided I had been misled! I think George WALSH with the Hayes is wrong. Sylvia

Joseph

Joseph Report 31 May 2007 07:08

I think you are all fantastic!!! Youn know that I didn't havea 1901 Flintshire census, so you solved the puzzel!!!! ONE BIG QUESTION ios how can George Walsh be listed at two home in Flint in the 1891 census a with his Grandparents the Conways b with his mother and step family. Its possible that he was counted twice??????

Joseph

Joseph Report 31 May 2007 07:41

Another question arrises is that Richard Hayes must have been mariied before Mary Conway Welsh because there areHenry Hayes Son aged 20and daughter Caroline aged 17. Question who was their mother? ?

Joseph

Joseph Report 31 May 2007 08:08

Potential Answer to my last question. Please see if you approve? Richard Hayes marries Maria Conway in 1862in st.James Hollywell. Although they all lived in Flint this is a different Conway Family to the line I am following. My Mary Conway would have been 10 in 1862 Richard Hayes marries Mary Conway Welsh or Walsh[which is it?] in 1883 at St, James Hollywell. At that time all christian churches would not marry a devorced man or woman, so possibly Maria Conway has passed away? UPDATE I can now verify that Maria Hayes passed away in Flint in 1885!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Between 1860 and 1885 Richard & Maria had Henry 1871 and Caroline 1874 and John 1881 then after 1885 Richard and Mary Welsh had Peter 1886 and James 1888 George Welsh and Mary Conway had George Welsh 1877 John Welsh 1880

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 31 May 2007 17:54

Joseph, People are sometimes counted twice. I've seen it with my relatives if someone was visiting another household. They were counted there and their usual abode. Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 31 May 2007 17:59

Joseph, If you look at 1881, you'll see Richard is already a widower then. Household: Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability Richard HAYES Head W Male 40 Flint, Flint, Wales Chemical Labourer Roger HAYES Son U Male 17 Flint, Flint, Wales Chemical Labourer Catherine HAYES Daur U Female 15 Flint, Flint, Wales General Servant Dom. Thomas HAYES Son U Male 12 Flint, Flint, Wales Scholar Richard HAYES Son U Male 10 Flint, Flint, Wales Scholar Henry HAYES Son U Male 8 Flint, Flint, Wales Scholar Caroline HAYES Daur U Female 6 Flint, Flint, Wales Scholar Mary E. HAYES Daur U Female 4 Flint, Flint, Wales Scholar John HAYS Son U Male 1 Source Information: Dwelling Roskell Square Census Place Flint, Flint, Wales Family History Library Film 1342323 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 5506 / 54 Page Number 34 Rose