Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Edinburgh Records Office - Replies Posted...finall

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 6 Jan 2007 17:10

Please see below

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 6 Jan 2007 17:16

Oh I have one thank you Mhiari. On the 28 August 1868 a marriage in St. Andrew RC Church Dundee. Elizabeth Sullivan aged 24 and John Ferguson (age not sure but think 30) not clear on Scotlands People I can't read either John Ferguson or Elizabeth Sullivans mothers maiden names. Can you please check both mothersr maiden names for me so I can try and find their marriages. Thank you Mhiari!!! Betty

Unknown

Unknown Report 6 Jan 2007 18:11

Hi Mhiari, Could you have a look for this marriage please. JOHN HOGG to ELIZABETH PATERSON. I don`t know the exact date but their only son was born in May 1951 so I would think the marriage took place in 1949/50. Elizabeth came from Renfrew so they probably married there. Would you mind checking the Renfrew marriages for 1950 first and 1949 if it isn`t there. Fathers names, if that will help, are William Paterson and Duncan Hogg. Thank you for looking. Jeanette

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 6 Jan 2007 18:24

Hi Mhairi I can't see a thread by you regarding OPR ....... can you tell me the title please ??? Thanks Sorry - found it now - ignore me lol

Debbie

Debbie Report 6 Jan 2007 18:53

Many Thanks for your kind offer, please could you see if the following can be found. Alexander Oswald Turnbull, he was born in Edinburgh 11/04/1865 and died in Leith 1934. Do not know who he married....... Ann Oswald Turnbull, 03/05/1862 in Edinburgh, she married James Haldane (not quite sure when) and she died in Edinburgh in 1937.................. Catherine Turnbull, 05/02/1859 Edinburgh, she married Tom Broadbent (not sure when) and she died 1939 Leith...... Vere Oswald Turnbull 1901 - 1901, daughter of John Turnbull and ? Henderson??? All were children of Andrew Turnbull and Vere Oswald (except young Vere). Many many thanks Debbie

Carla

Carla Report 6 Jan 2007 21:01

Hello Mhairi Thanks so much for your kind offer. I am looking for the death of Agnes Herkes nee Walker. She was married to Charles Herkes. Her parents were Thomas Walker and Christian Armstrong. I have found Agnes in the 1861 census aged 48 and living in Leith, Midlothian. I am really not sure when she died but obviously beyond the date of 1861. I do hope this is enough information for you to go on. Thank you so much for your time - Carla (Western Australia)

shelly1964

shelly1964 Report 7 Jan 2007 18:18

Hi i would be grateful if you could look up birth record for Catherine Rice born 7th December 1919 i think in Dundee. I need info on parents. many thanks Michelle

Paul

Paul Report 7 Jan 2007 20:31

Hi Mhairi, Could you look for a birth for me please for a John Kirk Jack born appx. 1918 in Glasgow. His father was also a John Jack as well. I hope this is enough for you to be able to help. Thanks in advance ............Paul Chiddicks

Isobel

Isobel Report 7 Jan 2007 21:44

Mhairi I am looking for the death of Richard Hogg born 25/10/1819 Eskdalemuir, Dumfiresshire. Parents Thomas Hogg and Mary Bell He was last on the 1881 census as single aged 61 Schoolmaster at Redford Green School(Buccleuch Estate), Kirkhope, Selkirk I have checked Sotlands people site and cannot trace any death. Can you help please Isobel

Donna

Donna Report 9 Jan 2007 18:23

Hello Mhairi, Thank you for your kind offer. I'm looking for the death of Eliza McEwan (MS Henderson) born 1877 in Edinburgh, daughter of Joseph Henderson & Jessie Wardrope (actually a precise birth would be good too). I've not found her death on SP but I did find her marriage to William McEwan on 23 December 1898 at 1 Hartington Gardens, Edinburgh. They were still in Edinburgh at the time of the 1901 census. Many thanks Donna

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jan 2007 18:56

Hello Mhiari, I have already given you one request and don`t want to be greedy but I am making very little headway with this research and don`t want to spend money on Scotland`s People look ups until I am reasonably sure what I am looking for. If you have time could you have a look for the marriages of my brother in law`s grandparents please. On the paternal side there are two possibilities both in 1911 in Kilkearn, Ross & Cromarty. I am not sure which is right so I`ll give you both - DUNCAN HOGG to ANNIE CRAWFORD and DUNCAN HOGG to ANNIE REAY. Duncan and Annie`s son, JOHN HOGG, was born on 25.3.28 in CULCAIRN near EVANTON. I have a strong feeling that the first marriage will be the one because one of my brother in law`s forenames is CRAWFORD but that might just be me hoping.............. The marriage on the maternal side is between WILLIAM PATERSON and ISHBELL ? Their first child was born c 1925 and William himself was born in 1902 so I would expect that marriage to have taken place somewhere between 1923 - 1925. Their second child, Elizabeth ( Betty ) was born on 25.6.1928 and her birth certificate should have the mother`s maiden name on it if you prefer to look at that first. I would also like details of DUNCAN HOGG`s death in 1969 (July? I think - when the astronauts landed on the moon ! ) But I don`t know if he was still living in the Evanton area when he died. Another GR member took these details with her to the records office yesterday but was unable to find anything. I would be grateful if you would have a look for me. It doesn`t matter if you can`t do them all at the same time - I don`t mind waiting until you are able to look for me. I really do appreciate the fact that you offer to do such look up`s because being well south of the border there is no way I could get to Edinburgh to do them myself. Thanking you in advance, Jeanette

HelenBrissie

HelenBrissie Report 9 Jan 2007 20:44

Hello Mhairi, would appreciate if you could look a death for me please. Alexina ( or Alice ) MORRISON Married to John MORRISON- previously married to John FIELDS Died 1958 Parents James WRIGHT and Ann WRIGHT (nee FOLEY) She lived in Glasgow so am assuming that is where she died. I am interested in finding out where she was living in Glasgow and the informant ( if that is possible ) Many thanks for your kind offer Helen

Bluesavannah

Bluesavannah Report 9 Jan 2007 20:54

Hello Mhairi, Many thanks for the kind offer. I have been told that my great x 2 grandfather died in September 1881 in Glasgow. Would it be possible to check the date for me? He was married to Martha Moore and was originally from Boston in Lincolnshire. Kind regards Claire

Wulliam

Wulliam Report 9 Jan 2007 21:32

Hi Mhairi, many thanks for this kind offer - I'd like to take you up on it again. I am looking for the death of a George Macleod...but I don't know all the details you say you need. He was born 5 Dec 1870 to parents Norman Macleod and Mary Macdonald. He married Mary Mackay and had children Kate, Christine, Mary-Bell, Donald Norman, Margaret, Mary & Murdo. He lived in Aiginish, Knock or Swordale (all on the Isle of Lewis - they are neighbouring villages) at the time of his death. I don't know any more than this - if it's not enough then please use your valuable time on others - and yourself! Hope you find some of your own too!! Kind regards, William

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jan 2007 21:54

Sorry Mhiari - I forgot to put that Betty Paterson was born in Renfrew so I think that is where William and Ishbell would have got married as well Jeanette

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jan 2007 17:08

A bit more information just received Mhiari - Duncan Hogg who died in July 1969 did stay in the area because he was buried in Rosskeen cemetery which is very close to Culcairn in Ross & Cromarty ( now Highland ) Jeanette

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 17 Jan 2007 18:04

Jeanette John Hogg Born 25/03/1928 Parents Duncan Hogg Annie Crawford Duncan and Annie married 23rd April 1911. Elizabeth Wilson Thomson Paterson Born - 25/6/1928 Parents William Paterson Isabella ? Buchan William and Isabella married 29th December 1924. Duncan McEachran Hogg Born - 14/07/1886 Died - 07/10/1969 Aged 83, Widow Informant - E Ross, daughter. Parents James Hogg - Fisherman Jemina Finlayson They married 09/?/1867 Annie Hogg (ms Crawford) Died - 04/11/1938 Aged 51 Parents George Crawford - Railway surfaceman Anne MacIntyre Informant - Donald Hogg, son. Karen There was one Alice born in 1911 but the father was not Joseph, i have the details if you want them. I also searched for a Alice born five years each side and none had a father called Joseph. Sorry Helen Alexina Morrison Died - 29/07/1958 Aged 79 Widow of - Field and James Morrison. Parents James Wright Ann Folley Informant - A Stirling, son in law Claire John Moore Died - 14/09/1881 Aged 30 Married to Martha Norman. Parents Joseph Moore - Canal Boatman (decd) Mary Wright previously Moore, ms Sharp(e)

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 17 Jan 2007 18:15

Debbie Alexander Oswald Turnbull Married Mary Clark Law Married on 27th December 1895 Died 28th June 1934 Ann Oswald Turnbull Married James Haldane Married on 31(?)st December 1897 Died 24th February 1937 Catherine Turnbull Married Tom Allan Broadbent Married on 2nd November 1880 Died 15th November 1939 There was no Vera birth.death in 1901 though there was one in 1903. Vira (later changed to Vera) Oswald Turnbull Born 12th March 1903 Died 23rd June 1903 Parents Alexander Turnbull Mary Clark Law Susan I couldnt find a marriage but i'm wondering something. I took a look at her birth and there are two different parents to whom you mentioned in your post. Let me know if you'd like the details. Sorry i couldnt find a marriage. Paul John Kirk Jack Born 5th March 1915 Parents John Jack Elizabeth McCracken They married 29th April 1910.

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 17 Jan 2007 18:25

Betty I have i not looked up this info before? and given you suggestions? Taken a look again, Johns mothers maiden name looks like Walsh. Elizabeths mothers maiden name is either Morgan or Morrigan. One of Elizabeths sisters marries in 1871 and gives her mothers maiden name as Morrigan. On my last visit i gave you the death details of Mary Ferguson nee Carney with parents names(Nicholas and Mary), did you work out if those where the right parents? If so then you may have a connection with Michelle. Michelle Catherine Rice Born 7th December 1919 Parents William Rice - Jute Preparer Catherine Carney Married 18th January 1906 Marriage William Rice - 29 (Widow) Catherine Carney 26 Parents William Rice - Labourer (decd) Mary Sivechey(?) (decd) Nicholas Carney Mary Kennedy You and Betty both have Carney's in the Dundee area, so you never know, You may be related.

Mhairi Queen of Scots

Mhairi Queen of Scots Report 17 Jan 2007 18:36

Suzanne The only death i could find of John Jolly in 1883 with a close-ish age was one that died at sea, well supposidly drowned which i take means they never found the body. 65854 - Vessel Lenini (?) John Jolly - Mate Aged 40 Died 30/08/1883 Born Aberdeen Last Abode - 33 Eton St Liverpool. There was also no John Nicholson Jolly births or marriages that i could see. Sorry i couldnt be more helpful. Donna Sorry but i could find no birth or death for Eliza, i went each side about 4/5 years but still nothing. There where a lot of Elizabeths but i'm afraid i didnt have time to go through them. William I did find one death but the parents names dont match though the man was supposidly married to a Mary Mackay. He was an Innkeeper, died 1866. Sorry i coundnt find it. Isobel Sorry but there where no Richard Hogg deaths that matched the details that you gave. Carla Sorry, no death. There was not much coming up for Herkes at all though i did try several different variants but nothing came up. Is is that everyone? Again sorry for the delays Mhairi