Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alec or so he claims! Solved! Thanks guys

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachel

Rachel Report 8 Nov 2006 13:09

Hi there, I've got a marraige crtificate between a Alec Etherington and a Beatrice Plnderleith. Dated December 1920. Alec claims to be 21, he his working as a paper maker and his fathers name is Percy Etherington (A farmer or a farrier can't quite tell). At the time of the wedding they are both living in Calder Grove, Crigglestone, West Yorkshire. I cant find Alec or Percy in the 1901 census. Nor can i find a possible birth match for Alec in the BMD records. I know that he could have lied about his age but even after this date i havent found a likely match. Please help, I've covered the census down every line now apart from this one, which cover my surname! Rachel

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 8 Nov 2006 13:22

I found 2 Alec births, but they are in 1908! Can't see him or Percy in 1901. All the Percys I found are too young.

Rachel

Rachel Report 8 Nov 2006 13:27

The thing is that the certificate is dated 1920 so that wouldmake him only 12 when he got married. One of the witnesses is Frances Evelyn Etherington but i haven't been able to find her either.

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 8 Nov 2006 13:30

this could be her birth Frances Evelyn Etherington Year of Registration: 1904 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep District: Howden County: Yorkshire Volume: 9d Page: 89 (click to see others on page

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 8 Nov 2006 13:31

There's this one.... Birth Sep 1904 Etherington Frances Evelyn Howden 9d 89 It's in Yorkshire. I guess she may be his sister. Will check Howden for Etheringtons. Nothing. Can't even find a marriage for Percy! Might be an idea to get Frances' cert to see if she is his sister. Would give another name to look for.

Rachel

Rachel Report 8 Nov 2006 13:42

Was there a minimum age to act as a witness to a wedding?

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 8 Nov 2006 13:42

I don't think there is one. I think all of mine have been over 16 though.

Susan

Susan Report 8 Nov 2006 13:54

Found a percy born 1873 but in 1901 wasn't married, name was slightly different though Name: Piercy Etherington Age: 28 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873 Relation: Head Gender: Male Where born: Birstall, Yorkshire, England Civil Parish: Harrogate Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter County/Island: Yorkshire (Yorkshire) Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View Image Registration district: Knaresborough Sub-registration district: Harrogate ED, institution, or vessel: 27 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 10 Household Members: Name Age Piercy Etherington 28 regards sue

Susan

Susan Report 8 Nov 2006 13:56

This piercy was into clothing, classed as shop keeper, clothing, might be the one but unmarried at that time, no luck on alec, tried alex, but nothing at present. sue

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 8 Nov 2006 13:59

Could be 'Alec' was born just after the census, as always happens with me lol

Diane

Diane Report 8 Nov 2006 14:00

Wondering if Percy could have been a furrier as I have found the following on 1901 Piercy Etherington Age: 28 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873 Relation: Head Gender: Male Where born: Birstall, Yorkshire, England Civil Parish: Harrogate Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View Image Registration district: Knaresborough Sub-registration district: Harrogate ED, institution, or vessel: 27 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 10 Household Members: Name Age Piercy Etherington 28 He is listed as a clothing shop keeper. Have also found the following marriage in 1903 Piercy Etherington Year of Registration: 1903 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Dewsbury County: Yorkshire Volume: 9b Page: 1127 He married either Gertrude Lister or Annie Gertrude Liversidge it might be a long shot but could be worth further investigation

Rachel

Rachel Report 8 Nov 2006 14:04

Yes a furrier could match what is written on the certificate. I'll take a look now. Alec is an odd name.

Rachel

Rachel Report 8 Nov 2006 14:13

Hi again, The marriages are good, but it's bringing Alecs age down when he got married. But thinking about it the girl he married was 17 rather than the 18 which she claimed on the certificate! Is it likely that a furrier would have a cloths shop? I'm really appreciating all your help.

imp

imp Report 8 Nov 2006 14:48

Hi On the GRO index it has her name as Plenderleith, I found this birth on the BMD Beatrice J Plenderleith Year of Registration: 1903 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar District: Wakefield County: United Kingdom Volume: 9c Page: 16 Regards Gail

imp

imp Report 8 Nov 2006 14:56

There is an Alexander Hetherington registered Wakefield 9c 7, 2nd quarter 1901. could this be him? Regards Gail

Rachel

Rachel Report 8 Nov 2006 15:12

Yes that could be him. Wakefield is the nearest registry office to Calder Grove where he got married. And we cant seem to find any suitable Alecs. I've just ordered Frances Evelyn Etherington's certificate on the provision that her fathers name is Percy.

Rachel

Rachel Report 8 Nov 2006 15:20

Hi Gail, No i'm afraid Alexander isn't Alec because i've found him living in Sandal Magna in the 1901 census and his farther is a David. Thankyou anyway. Can anyone think of ny other documents post 1901 census or/and his birth. That will have his place of birth on? Rachel

Diane

Diane Report 8 Nov 2006 16:06

Don't know whether this will help but found this death record for an Alec Cooke L Etherington died in the March quarter of 1971 in Wakefield registration district, Volume 2 d page 1633 . Gives his date of birth as 5th November 1899. If you get the death certificate it should give the deceased date and place of birth, occupation and address, and the name and address of the informant as well as the cause of death. I hope this helps

Rachel

Rachel Report 8 Nov 2006 16:26

Thats great. I wonder how accurate that date of birth is. Im going to have yet another look! Thanks Rachel

ValT

ValT Report 8 Nov 2006 17:30

Hi wondered if you have you tried Alick or Aleck, just a thought. Val