Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gertrude Lilian Cooper

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jenny

Jenny Report 28 Aug 2006 23:26

hey im looking for a getrude lilian cooper i think she would have been born around 1901 ish. I dont really know where she wuold have been born apart from the fact that her 2 children Gordon and Gloria were born in medway Kent. I know that she was married to a man named Sidney Charles Aylett but i dont really know much about him either but i feel he may have been born around the same time as her. Any info or guesses would be gratefully appreciated. I have tried looking on ancestry but i have had no luck. I may be doing it wrong or something im not to sure. But thanks anyway

Jenny

Jenny Report 28 Aug 2006 23:28

Any information on deaths would also be gratefully recieved thanks

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 28 Aug 2006 23:29

you can search on Ancestry free for BMD index 1837-1983 http://www.ancestry(.)co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx Remove brackets Jeanette

Sam

Sam Report 28 Aug 2006 23:30

Hi What exactly is it you are looking for? You would be better off starting with her death - this will give you her age so at least you will have a better idea of where she was born. Did she marry just the once in which case her death should be registered under Aylett? Have you searched the complete BMD indexes on Ancestry? the problem is that with no idea of when or where she died, it would be a mammoth task and would be like looking for a needle in a haystack! You could look for her marriage and when you get the marriage certificate, that too will have her age on it and give a clue to when she was born. Start from when the first child was born and work backwards Sam x

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Aug 2006 23:33

Jenny, This is on Ancestry: Name: Sidney Charles Aylett Year of Registration: 1899 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec District: Faversham County: Kent Volume: 2a Page: 888 Rose

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Aug 2006 23:38

A freebmd search shows more than one possible matches for Gertrude within a few years of possible birth date. If you are sure that she married Sidney, it might be better to find the marriage, so that you will hopefully have her father's name as a checking point, as well as her age. Gwyn

Jenny

Jenny Report 28 Aug 2006 23:39

I was looking for any info on either of those to people sorry if i didnt make it very clear. and thanks for finding that for me rose.

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 28 Aug 2006 23:44

From Commonwealth war Graves site.... Name: AYLETT, SIDNEY CHARLES Initials: S C Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Chief Petty Officer Regiment/Service: Royal Navy Unit Text: H.M.S. Pembroke. Age: 46 Date of Death: 08/01/1946 Service No: C/J40410 Additional information: Son of Charles Aylett and of Jennie Aylett (nee Sherwood); husband of Gertrude Lilian Aylett, of Wood Green. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: North Sec. Grave 8220. Cemetery: TOTTENHAM CEMETERY

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Aug 2006 23:45

Do you know when they died at all? If you can find the deaths you will get an age which will help. Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Aug 2006 23:50

Good thinking Paul. Marriages Mar 1888 AYLETT Charles Faversham 2a 985 SHERWOOD Jenny Faversham 2a 985 Rose

Jenny

Jenny Report 28 Aug 2006 23:55

Thankyou so much guys. I have my grandfathers birth certificate which says that his father Sidney Charles Aylett was a petty officer so this must be him thanks so much

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 28 Aug 2006 23:57

Bit odd though... the war was over by 1946 and HMS Pembroke was a shore base at Eastchurch near Chatham in Kent. How could he be Commonwealth War Dead?

Jenny

Jenny Report 28 Aug 2006 23:59

im not sure i dont know much about how things like that work

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 29 Aug 2006 00:12

1901 England Census Name: Sidney Aylett Age: 1 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1900 Relation: Son Father's name: Charles Mother's name: Jane Gender: Male Where born: Oare, Kent, England Civil parish: Oare Ecclesiastical parish: Oare St Peters Town: Oare County/Island: Kent Country: England Street address: 4 Church Road Registration district: Faversham Sub-registration district: Faversham ED, institution, or vessel: 17 Household schedule number: 72 Annie C Aylett 7 born Oare Bertie J Aylett 9 born Faversham Charles Aylett 38 born Faversham Eva F Aylett 3 born Oare Frederick Aylett 12 born Faversham Jane Aylett 36 born Davington? Sidney Aylett 1 born Oare George Jennett 15 nephew His father Charles was an Oven Cooker, Cordite Factory if I read the handwriting correctly. His nephew, George was a Clerk in the Cordite Powder factory.

Jenny

Jenny Report 29 Aug 2006 00:15

wow thanks again. i would have never found so much info on my own.there is just one thing tho on the first info u got for me it says his mothers name was jennie then on the cencus it says her name is jane?? any ideas

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 29 Aug 2006 00:21

Funny you should ask that. My grandmother's name was Eliza Jane but she was known as Jennie. It seems it was a version of Jane at the time.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Aug 2006 00:21

Paul, If he sustained an injury during the war and later died from that injury he will be listed under the war dead. My grandfather died after his ship sank in the North Atlantic and he caught TB. He died after the war and is listed on the CWGC site. Rose

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 29 Aug 2006 00:26

Faversham munitions works The plant offered well-paid work to men as far afield as Herne Bay and Margate and Faversham had become for a short period one of the centres of the nations munitions industry. By 1915 it had expanded to cover a 500-acre (2 km²) site including in its range of products along with guncotton, cordite, gelignite, nitroglycerine, detonators, dynamite and distress rockets. To lessen the expense of production for the war effort a cheap but highly volatile chemical amatol was introduced into the process of bomb and shell manufacture at the Explosives Loading Company (ELC) site that had opened in 1912 next to the guncotton plant. At 14:20 on Sunday 2 April 1916, a huge explosion ripped through the gunpowder mill at Uplees, near Faversham, when 200 tons of TNT ignited. 109 people died in the explosion, and many were buried in a mass grave at Faversham Cemetery. The munitions factory was in a remote spot in the middle of the open marshes of North Kent, next to the Thames coastline. Perhaps that is why it was chosen. It also explains why the great explosion at about noon on 2 April was heard across the Thames estuary as far away as Norwich, Great Yarmouth and Southend-on-Sea, where domestic windows were blown out and two large plate-glass shop windows shattered. Although not the first such disaster of this kind to have happened at Faversham’s historic munitions works, the April 1916 blast is recorded as 'the worst ever in the history of the UK explosives industry'. And considering the quantity of explosive chemical stored at the works — with one report indicating that a further 3,000 tons remained in nearby sheds unaffected — it is remarkable, and a tribute to those who struggled against the fire that so much of the nation's munitions were prevented from contributing further to the catastrophe.

Jenny

Jenny Report 29 Aug 2006 00:32

not quite sure why its relevent :) but its interesting and i would just like to say thanks again for all your help today

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 29 Aug 2006 00:43

1891 England Census Record Name: Charles Aylett Age: 29 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862 Relation: Head Spouses's Name: Jane Gender: Male Where Born: Faversham, Kent, England Civil parish: Faversham Ecclesiastical parish: Faversham Town: Faversham County/Island: Kent Country: England Street address: 13 Wallers Row Occupation: General Labourer Registration district: Faversham Sub registration district: Faversham ED, institution, or vessel: 15 Neighbors: View others on page Charles Aylett 29 Frederick Edward Aylett 2 Jane Aylett 26 Sarah Jane Sherwood 7 stepdaughter Now this tells us that this was Jane's second marriage so she was not born Sherwood. As on the following census there is a nephew called George Jennett we can surmise that he was Jane's brother and her birth name was Jennett. I notice that other members of the Aylett family were neighbours in the street. Looks like his parents next door and beyond them his older brother and family.