Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Levy and Lewis

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 18 Apr 2006 19:03

Have been looking for a marriage between Isaac Levy and Leah Lewis. Thought I had found it in 1900 but it turns out ages and profession are wrong. It was the only one I could find, but can anyone else find another? At the time of the 1901 census Leah was 39 and Isaac was 41. Their first child was born in 1883 (her name- Harriett). Deb. P.S. Is there anywhere on line that can give you any military info from WW1 as another of my ancesters was in the army during that war?

Heather

Heather Report 18 Apr 2006 19:09

ok, WW1 go to National Archives website. You can even download your ancestors medal card for £3.50 if you find it. Re the marriage - bit of a coincidence having the same unusual names, isnt it. You did actually buy that certificate did you?

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 18 Apr 2006 19:09

likely to have been where geographically?

Heather

Heather Report 18 Apr 2006 19:10

Where have you already looked for the marriage please - to save duplication and have you bought the childs birth certificate - if so, what was the address on it. Is this the 1901? No sign of the daughter you mention. I cant believe how many Isaac and Leahs there are!! View Record Abrham Levy abt 1894 Holloway, London, England Son Hackney London View Record Eva Levy abt 1900 Hackney, London, England Daughter Hackney London View Record Hetty Levy abt 1896 Spitalfields, London, England Daughter Hackney London View Record Hillier Levy abt 1897 Spitalfields, London, England Son Hackney London View Record Isaac Levy abt 1851 Russia Head Hackney London View Record Leah Levy abt 1876 Spitalfields, London, England Wife Hackney London View Record Tilley Levy abt 1899 Hackney, London, England Daughter Hackney London

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 18 Apr 2006 19:11

I had one i thought was wrong as I had my G grandfathers he was down as carpenter so was his father at first couldn't find children but when the free search on ancestry on beta index I found birth of children it was right marriage year after discounting it. Him and his father where undertaker assistants who made the coffins. they where under takers on all census's Jeanette

Deborah

Deborah Report 18 Apr 2006 19:14

The ages for the cert. (yes I did buy it) were 20 years too young and profession tailor. On Harrietts birth cert. he says he is a fruitier. Have looked on ancestry and family search. The area is London.

Heather

Heather Report 18 Apr 2006 19:16

What part of London Deb? Its seems to be full of Isaacs and Leahs of the right age!

Deborah

Deborah Report 18 Apr 2006 19:20

Harriett was registered in St Saviour's Southwark. Does that help at all? Thanks

Heather

Heather Report 18 Apr 2006 19:21

Can you give us the 1901 census details please?

Deborah

Deborah Report 18 Apr 2006 19:23

Don't know yet for 1881. Have not long started this branch. All I do know is that Harriett, who is my great grandmother was born on the 1st August 1883 and her mother was Leah Lewis and father Issac Levy. Was astounded to find out this marriage cert. was wrong as they were the only Isaac and Leah who I could find anywhere.

Deborah

Deborah Report 18 Apr 2006 19:26

1901 details are as follows; Issac- head 41 Leah- wife 39 Harriett- daughter 19 Lewis- son 17 Horace- son 12 Esther- daughter 7 Mathilda- daughter 2

Websterbfc

Websterbfc Report 18 Apr 2006 19:29

Isaac Levy is a tricky one as is like john smith or david jones

Deborah

Deborah Report 18 Apr 2006 19:32

Seems like it. I just didn't think that there would be 2 couples with the same names but I suppose they are both fairly common!!!!!!

Heather

Heather Report 18 Apr 2006 19:48

1891; Using Horace as an unlikely name to have too many around: BUT Isaac is shown as a carman Something not adding up here. Horace Douglas Levy abt 1889 Boro, London, England Son Hackney London Isaac Levy abt 1866 Hownsditch, London, England Head Hackney London Leah Levy abt 1863 Chelsea, London, England Wife Hackney London Leah M Levy abt 1890 Kingsland, London, England Daughter Hackney London Lewis H Levy abt 1885 Kingsland, London, England Son Hackney London

Deborah

Deborah Report 18 Apr 2006 19:53

Tha does sound like them- thank you. I had wanted the marriage cert. to get father's name for birth certs. Do you think I could find them with just this info. now having a birth place?

Deborah

Deborah Report 18 Apr 2006 19:57

Yeah see what you mean. Looking closer again maybe not. I could have the wrong 1901 entry. I have only assumed that it was right because the parents names matched and Harrietts age was roughly right too. However it definately has fruiterer under occupation!!!!

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 18 Apr 2006 20:01

??????? very long shot..... View Record Simmey Levi 1887 Jan-Feb-Mar London City London, Middlesex View Record Leah Lewis 1887 Jan-Feb-Mar London City London, Middlesex Name: Simmey Levi Year of Registration: 1887 Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar District: London City County: London, Middlesex Volume: 1c Page: 86

Heather

Heather Report 18 Apr 2006 20:03

Deborah, can you copy and paste the 1901 info - we really need to know more, like where each of them were born etc. There are just too many permutations otherwise - although this is the only Horace I could find right name, place and age. That lot above certainly do fit and the boy Horace was born in right place to fit in with the other child you mentioned in Southwark. Ill check back in later.

Deborah

Deborah Report 18 Apr 2006 20:07

That one is worth a shot- thank you. I'm sorry but I can't copy and paste the info cos I had it sent to me via a cousin and my copy only has names and ages. The occupation has been cut off. I do know that it was obtained from ancestry if that's any help!

Deborah

Deborah Report 18 Apr 2006 20:18

Forgot one important detail. Just realised that on the 1901 census they have spelt Levy as LEVEY. Birth cert. that I have for Harriett it is Levy!!!!!! This cert. is a copy of the original so out of all the info I have- which is not a lot- that is true!!