Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HAS ANYONE GOTParish records for Old or West pari

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KEITH H

KEITH H Report 16 Apr 2006 18:54

has anyboby got p recods for greenock 1838

KEITH H

KEITH H Report 16 Apr 2006 19:16

will do thanks again

KEITH H

KEITH H Report 22 Apr 2006 15:17

nudge

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Apr 2006 15:25

Keith If you want a useful response to this thread, I suggest you put the parish name in your thread title. Then the people that have access to the records will see it. nell

KEITH H

KEITH H Report 22 Apr 2006 19:30

nudge

**Liz in Scotland**

**Liz in Scotland** Report 22 Apr 2006 19:41

Hi Keith, Could you add some names and I'll take a look at the Scottish parish Church records, no guarantees that they are there, as they were a lot of births and marriages not recorded pre 1855. Liz

Denis

Denis Report 22 Apr 2006 19:47

Hi What exactly are you after? Were you aware that you can probably access the records you want on Scotlandspeople? Denis

KEITH H

KEITH H Report 22 Apr 2006 20:13

am trying to find parents of michael mcshane who married margaret caroline 30 / 04 /1838 at greenock old or west parish renfewshire

**Liz in Scotland**

**Liz in Scotland** Report 22 Apr 2006 20:33

Keith, Just to make sure I've got the right family. Did they have children Rosina and Mary? Liz

KEITH H

KEITH H Report 22 Apr 2006 20:36

hi Liz Yes they did

Denis

Denis Report 22 Apr 2006 20:38

Hi I had a quick dip in Scotlandspeople. The marriage would appear to be there. Couldn't see any sign of his birth. Suggest check 1841 census on Scotlandspeople to see what that says, unless LIz has access in some other way? Mc Shane is an Irish name of course. Lots arriving in West Central Scotland about that time. Denis.

KEITH H

KEITH H Report 22 Apr 2006 20:40

they where from ireland

Woody's

Woody's Report 22 Apr 2006 20:51

Hi folks, Keith sent me a message to say he had to go out for about 20mins. I had a look a while back for them and got the census details on Freecen 1841 showing Rosina and Mary as children. At some time they moved to Liverpool because they appear on 1851 Census there, but Michael is widowed. Because Margaret died before 1855 no death record on Scotlands people; Keith's found a possible match in 1848 Liverpool and awaiting certs, but he thought if she had died in Scotland there may be a burial/parish record.

**Liz in Scotland**

**Liz in Scotland** Report 22 Apr 2006 21:31

Hi Keith, Both Michael and Margaret were born in Ireland. 1841 census, this is on freecen. Piece: SCT1841/564 Place: Greenock-Renfrewshire Address: 72 Cartsdyke, Main St MCSHANE Michael M 30 Labourer Ireland MCSHANE Margt F 20 Ireland MCSHANE Rosina F 2 Renfrewshire MCSHANE Mary F 10m Renfrewshire If they died in Scotland post 1855, you can search for their death certs. these will show names of parents, provided they were known by the informant. Do you have any marriage certs for either of the children which would show (hopefully) whether the parents were still living at time of marriage? This would help you to narrow down the search. There is a Michael McShane listed in 1881 census, age 70, born Ireland, widower, living at Overton Road Abbey, Renfrew, but he's a shoemaker You could also try scotlandspeople for 1851-1871 census. Liz

**Liz in Scotland**

**Liz in Scotland** Report 22 Apr 2006 21:32

Thanks Christine, now we can stop looking in Scotland. Liz

Woody's

Woody's Report 22 Apr 2006 21:47

Sorry Liz, I think he might have lost the info as he had pc problems. There were more children on 1851 census and all were born in Scotland, yet none show in Parish records - correction, haven't found them! different thing! This was the other reason for trying again for a look at Parish records in Greenock; someone might have a disc? Also, although found them on 1851 Liverpool census he was a Sugar Baker - quite a transition from Labourer so wasn't sure it was right family

**Liz in Scotland**

**Liz in Scotland** Report 22 Apr 2006 21:53

No probs. Christine. I did have a look at the Scottish Parish Records, but there was nothing there. These records are from the Church of Scotland register, so if they were not C of S you won't find anything on SP either. In saying that, not all births or marriages were recorded by the Church as they proved to be quite expensive and not a lot pf people could afford to pay. Liz

Fergie

Fergie Report 22 Apr 2006 22:03

I too had a search for relatives in Greenock on 1841 census and the library there were very helpful. Also mine were catholic too and didn't show up on the OPR. The local Catholic Church, St. Mary's did a search for a donation and their archivist found the childrens' baptismal entries but unfortunately no date of marriage was shown - just said that the children were 'lawful' which I take it means legitimate and gave the parents and godparents name. One of the parents was Irish too so I seem to have hit a brick wall.

Woody's

Woody's Report 22 Apr 2006 22:04

I know what you mean about the records, and of course it would depend on the Minister as well - or Church Officers. Some would have insisted their parishioners recorded events, others wouldn't have realised that all we nosey folk were going to want to know all the goings-on!

Woody's

Woody's Report 22 Apr 2006 22:09

Thanks for the info, Fergie. That's certainly worth a try. Keith has the marriage details from Scotsorigins and they were married in Greenock Old Parish Church (I think). Of course it is very likely one was Catholic and as such the children could have been baptised in the Chapel. Had no idea how to search the Catholic records though, so thanks again.