Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Access to Scottish Records

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robin

Robin Report 15 Apr 2006 00:01

Does anyone have access to Scottish Records similar to those kind people that offer help and guidance?? Thanks

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 15 Apr 2006 00:14

Hi Robin, To search Scottish records and census you would need to go onto Scotlandspeople website. Some births, marriages and deaths are also om Family search .org. What were you looking for and do you have basic details, names, year etc. Can you give me any idea of what you are looking for?? Betty

Robin

Robin Report 15 Apr 2006 00:24

Thanks Betty I have had a quick look at the sight but not properly researched. Yes I do have a couple of specifics if you have access?? Kind Regards Rob

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 15 Apr 2006 00:27

Ok Robin, Give me the details, I will try my best, I do have a few credits left on ScotlandsPeople but not much. Betty

Robin

Robin Report 15 Apr 2006 00:38

Hi Betty, Very kind of you (especially at this time of night!). Looking for a Thomas Syme born 1874 in Edinburgh real long shot no parents details only father born 1843 in symington, Lanarkshire - sorry to be so vague. On my mother's side am looking for details of Thomas Murphy born 1859 whose only known affress in 1880 was 15 Fountain Bridge Edinburgh. Very grateful for any leads.. Rob

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 15 Apr 2006 00:44

Hi Rob, Just want to check on something, do you just want the birth of Thomas Syme or do you want the 1881 census of the whole family so you can get the parents to. Also is it just the birth of Thomas Murphy or the census of the whole family you want. Betty

Robin

Robin Report 15 Apr 2006 00:47

Betty, Sorry I haven't made myself clear- grateful for any info you can provide but if you can get details of parents and siblings that would be absolutely fantastic. Thanks! Rob

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 15 Apr 2006 00:49

Hi Rob, This is from Family search, do you know if this this is Thomas Syme's parents, birth a year out but cane be as you know. THOMAS SYME Male -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: 16 AUG 1873 Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland Christening: Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: ROBERT SYME Family Mother: MARGARET FRASER Betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 15 Apr 2006 00:51

Hi again Rob, Ther are a lot of Thomas Syme names born about this time in Edinburgh, any clue about parents at all??? betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 15 Apr 2006 00:54

Hi Rob, Also lods on Thomas Murphy's born in Edinburgh 1859 and 1860's, if you had the parents it would help. Betty

Robin

Robin Report 15 Apr 2006 00:54

Hi Betty, Goodness, very well could be. My dad gave me details last weekend of a Robert Syme (of 85 Fountain Bridge) and Margaret Fraser (born 01/10/1831) but with no clear link. We suspected maybe an uncle to Thomas but unsure. Possible his parents instead??? Rob

Robin

Robin Report 15 Apr 2006 01:03

Hi Betty, As for Thomas Murphy, I have his parents as Patrick Murphy (very helpful!) and Bridgette Gorman born around the 1828/30 I guess. To make things worse they may have moved from Ireland just prior to Thomas' birth - sorry. Very spookey that Fountainbridge appears for both families. Rob

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 15 Apr 2006 01:03

Hi Rob, You see Murphy is also an Irish name and many Irish people came to Scotland during the potato famine, many to Edinburgh, in fact too many for a search of just name and approx year of birth. There could be hundreds within a few years of one another. Also census birth years can always be a year or two out on any census. Betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 15 Apr 2006 01:09

Hi Rob, Where was Margaret Fraser born?? Betty

Robin

Robin Report 15 Apr 2006 01:11

Betty, Have an address of 4 Dunbar St Edinburgh but don;t know if this was where she was born and with parents John Fraser (Mason) and Eupenica Miller. Rob

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 15 Apr 2006 01:12

Thomas's birth??? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- THOMAS MURPHY Male -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Event(s): Birth: 07 SEP 1858 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland Christening: Death: Burial: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Parents: Father: PATRICK MURPHY Family Mother: BRIDGET GORMAN

Robin

Robin Report 15 Apr 2006 01:15

Hi Betty, It has to be - amazing!!! Thank you so much Rob

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 15 Apr 2006 01:26

Hi Rob, Just thought i would tell you I found these on the FREE FamilySearch.org website. If you searched ScotlandsPeople you would have to pay £6 for 30 credits to find these details, however it is a good website for census and BMD if you can't find them on the familySearch website first. Betty p.s. who am i looking for now I have forgot.???

Robin

Robin Report 15 Apr 2006 01:32

Hi Betty, You can tell I am a novice to this game eh?? Thanks I will use the family site search first and then revert to the other even if it costs. Still trying to confirm that Thomas Syme's parents were Robert and Margaret Fraser daughter of John and Euphenica Miller..but it is getting really late. Very grateful for all you have provided - interesting call to my folks tomorrow now! Kind Regards Rob

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 15 Apr 2006 01:39

Hi Rob, Sorry cant find birth of Margaret Fraser, in fact can't find marriage of Eupenica to John either SORRY. Betty