Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I need help with my Mum's Family

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RachelShawcross

RachelShawcross Report 5 Feb 2006 12:31

Ive managed to trace (with a lot of help) back through my dad's family to the 1700's but cannot find anything on my mums side of the family and she doesnt have much idea's either. Her parents are called Eugene Trennyworth - I think that is the correct spelling and her father was called Edward known as Ted and their surname is Playle. They have lived (until Ted died and Eugene went into a home) in either Rugeley in Staffordshire or Immingham/Grimsby in Lincolnshire. Both were born in the 1930's and I would really like to have more information on my grandparents, especially because I never got to meet Ted. If anyone has any information or can help, please contact me either through this site or my email which can be found on my homepage... Thanks

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 5 Feb 2006 12:34

cant find Anything for Trennyworth at all. does your mum have her birth cert - that will have her mothers maiden name on it maybe you have, and maybe it says Trennyworth

Kate

Kate Report 5 Feb 2006 12:58

Could her name be Eugenie rather than Eugune? Because Eugene is usually a boy's name and Eugenie a girl's name. (oops, just remembered what happened to somebody who asked a similar question of somebody else a while back, but I'm sure you won't react the same way!) Kate.

RachelShawcross

RachelShawcross Report 5 Feb 2006 13:25

Thanks for those quick responses. All I know that is my nan who is very much alive is called Eugene Trennyworth (as her middle name) and her married name is Playle. I have asked my mother for more information but we dont have anything else which is where the trouble has started. My nan's date of birth is 16th October and she was born in the same year as the Queen and that is really all I know about her.... she isnt in the mental state to be able to answer any questions unfortunatley...

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Feb 2006 13:31

I'm guessing that cos the queen is about to celebrate her 80th birthday .... that she and your Mum were born c 1926 then. We need to find her birth entry in the indexes ... and find out what her Mum's maiden name was. Elaine ;-) I'll see what I can find.

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Feb 2006 13:34

Rachel, Has your Mum any idea at all, as to when your Granparents married ? .... Has your Mum got any older brothers or sisters ? .... could you work out a possible marriage year by using your Mum's year of birth ? Elaine ;-) I'll leave this thread for others .... I'm going to concentrate on 'Shawcross' line, as discussed via PM.

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Feb 2006 13:42

If you have your mum's birthdate, you can check her birth entry using the relevant quarter and year and her mother's maiden name will be in the index. There are no Trennyworth entries on the freebmd or census part of Ancestry, which makes me suspect it must be spelled differently. nell

Susan

Susan Report 5 Feb 2006 13:45

I think Rachel has indicated that Trennyworth is her Nan's middle name rather than maiden name .... Best start would by trying to find her Mum's birth certificate or at least give us an idea of her Mum's name/date of birth, then we could probably help find the maiden name in the register listings. Su

RachelShawcross

RachelShawcross Report 5 Feb 2006 13:48

Ive managed to contact an old famiy member and my nanna's surname was either Mercer or Fairfield born in grimsby and her parents were apparently unmarried but she has a brother called Bill. My Grandad had 3/4 sblings known as Lucy, Charles and we think James or Gordon...

RachelShawcross

RachelShawcross Report 5 Feb 2006 13:57

Thanks Susan. My mother is Dorothy Ann Playle (now Lofts) and she was born on 15th October 1958 in Grimsby... Trennyworth is my nan's middle name..... her surname was either Mercer or Fairfield...

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 5 Feb 2006 13:58

can't see a Eugenie Mercer in oct1/4 1926 or Jan 1927 or Fairfield when was your mum born? it will have her maiden name next to your mums name in index Jeanette

Susan

Susan Report 5 Feb 2006 14:01

OK the birth cert info for Dorothy Playle is: Oct - Dec quarter 1958 Playle, Dorothy A Mother's maiden name: Fairfield District: Grimsby Volume: 3b Page: 301

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 5 Feb 2006 14:01

its Fairfield I will have a nouther look but the only Fairfield i could see in right 1/4 was a Vera Jeanette

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 5 Feb 2006 14:14

no can't see her at all found Frederick born Grimsby mothers maiden name Vincent Jan 1/4 1926 and Marjorie Jan 1/4 1928. Thats if she was born in Grimsby like your Mum. Jeanette

Jess Bow Bag

Jess Bow Bag Report 5 Feb 2006 14:27

sorry - i misunderstood i thought her maiden name was Trennyworth

Susan

Susan Report 5 Feb 2006 14:33

Going through marriages - this one may be your grandad's brother's marriage - thought I'd put the reference here in case it's of use! Apr - June 1952 Playle, Charles A Married: Bacon District: Grimsby Vol: 3b Page: 445 .... and this might be his sister Lucy's marriage: Jul - Sep 1950 Playle, Lucy E Married: Linford District: Grimsby Vol: 3b Page: 594 ... another possible! Jan - Mar 1948 Playle, James T Married: Short District: Grimsby Vol: 3b Page: 505

RachelShawcross

RachelShawcross Report 5 Feb 2006 16:28

Susan - that is definatley my mother... Oct - Dec quarter 1958 Playle, Dorothy A Mother's maiden name: Fairfield District: Grimsby Volume: 3b Page: 301

RachelShawcross

RachelShawcross Report 5 Feb 2006 16:29

HI - they all seem likely, especially the Lucy one.... Apr - June 1952 Playle, Charles A Married: Bacon District: Grimsby Vol: 3b Page: 445 .... and this might be his sister Lucy's marriage: Jul - Sep 1950 Playle, Lucy E Married: Linford District: Grimsby Vol: 3b Page: 594 ... another possible! Jan - Mar 1948 Playle, James T Married: Short District: Grimsby Vol: 3b Page: 505

RachelShawcross

RachelShawcross Report 5 Feb 2006 16:31

Jeanette: In answer to this; can't see a Eugenie Mercer in oct1/4 1926 or Jan 1927 or Fairfield when was your mum born? it will have her maiden name next to your mums name in index. my mum was born on 15th October 1958 in Grimsby... some of her relative information may go back to Rugeley in Staffordshire.... My Nanna's name is Eugene however and not Eugenie....poor love was given a man's name... My nan also has a relative, her aunt called Olive but I dont remember anything else....

Susan

Susan Report 5 Feb 2006 16:33

Hi Not having much joy finding Ted's marriage, though!!! Have been looking for his surname because it occurred to me that though Eugene's maiden name is Fairfield, she might have married as Mercer (ie been married before) and Playle is a less common surname than Mercer! Does your Mum have older brothers/sisters? Might helpt suggest a more exact wedding date. How old do you think your Nan is? I'll see if I can find her birth cert ref. S:>