Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can I help you with Jewish marriages 1791-1850 in

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OneStopGenealogy

OneStopGenealogy Report 4 Jan 2006 15:18

I have a book of jewish marriages at the Great Synagogue, Dukes place, covering 1791-1850 If anyone would like a look-up I will do my best. I need the full grooms or the brides full name. The book tells you the date, their jewish name and the jewish name of their father. I will try to answer as quickly as possible

OneStopGenealogy

OneStopGenealogy Report 4 Jan 2006 16:21

no-one want any look ups??????

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jan 2006 17:20

Karrie Yes please! Looking for the marriage of Isaac Phillips and Esther unknown, around mid-1840s. Many thanks in advance. nell

OneStopGenealogy

OneStopGenealogy Report 4 Jan 2006 20:11

Hi Helen, sorry for the delay, two sick children. Found an Isaac Phillips (father Aharon Hacohen) married Esther Isaacs (father Joseph) on 21 July 1850 - no other information shown Hope this helps

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jan 2006 21:47

Karrie Thanks, you have confirmed my hunch! Hope sick children are on the mend. Cheers again, Nell

Sandra

Sandra Report 4 Jan 2006 21:51

yes please samuel raphael & sarah francs/ks sandie

OneStopGenealogy

OneStopGenealogy Report 4 Jan 2006 21:58

Samuel Raphael (father Mier HaLevi) married Sarah (jewish name Zelfa)Franks (father Shlomeh Zalman) 31 July 1833. No other informtion shown

Kirsten

Kirsten Report 4 Jan 2006 22:02

It's a shame you only have up to 1850, I have a whole list of marriages I need after that year : ( Seems all my Jewish family don't want me to find them. Where did you get this book from? Do they have one on later marriages in London? Kirsten

OneStopGenealogy

OneStopGenealogy Report 4 Jan 2006 22:04

I wish I did, I also have rellies married after 1850. The book was written by Angela Shire & my husband traced it for me cos I couldnt order it on Amazon

Ann ♣

Ann ♣ Report 4 Jan 2006 22:08

Karrie Yes please. George Henry Mier ,sorry don't know who he married,just have his name from sons marriage cert. Many thanks Ann

GI Jane

GI Jane Report 4 Jan 2006 22:09

Hi Karrie - Charles Peters b1834 in Germany married to Catherine or Kate Domm b1841 Whitechapel - Many thanks Clare

OneStopGenealogy

OneStopGenealogy Report 4 Jan 2006 22:09

sorry George Mier not in the book. Could be he married at a different synagogue

Ann ♣

Ann ♣ Report 4 Jan 2006 22:11

Karrie Thank you for trying. Ann

OneStopGenealogy

OneStopGenealogy Report 4 Jan 2006 22:12

sorry Clare, neither. Looking at birthdates, they were probably married after 1850

Sandra

Sandra Report 4 Jan 2006 22:43

thanks Katie for the Raphael info does your book say where the original records are held? thanks sandie

OneStopGenealogy

OneStopGenealogy Report 4 Jan 2006 23:07

I think they are held at the Records Ofiice in London

Heather

Heather Report 5 Jan 2006 20:27

Karrie, hope you dont mind me asking but Im trying to trace the origins of one ancestor and the name is Edroff. Are there any similar names in your book please. There are only a few Edroffs on ancestry and they just appear in early 1800 and all in the East End. Many thanks.

OneStopGenealogy

OneStopGenealogy Report 5 Jan 2006 20:30

Sorry, Heather, not one, not even anyone with a similiar name

Heather

Heather Report 5 Jan 2006 22:37

Im starting to think Scandanavian at the mo!

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jan 2006 22:48

Jewish marriages after 1850 (and indeed after 1837) should appear in the GRO indexes. I know that there are some Jewish marriages from the Great Synagogue on the IGI because I found them once, though I can't remember how! I also know that some Jews were married in private houses, instead of the synagogue, so you would only find them in the GRO indexes. Hope this helps some people - and if anyone is tracing Jewish families surname Phillips, Hart or Joel I would be interested in hearing from them. The Jewish lot are in my husband's tree which isn't on GR. nell