Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage info please -Flemming

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 28 Dec 2005 18:46

hi everyone, can any of you please help me. im looking for the marriage of a Robert Flemming (Fleming) and Elizabeth Broomfield, they would be married in Kent, Robert was born 1878 and Elizabeth born in 1883 both from Kent, so they would probably be married about 1900 +-10years, sorry i can't give any more detailes but im have so much trouble with this side of my family!! thank you to anyone who decides to help regards Paul Bennett

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 28 Dec 2005 18:53

Hi Paul, Try looking on http://freebmd.rootsweb(.)com/cgi/search.pl remove brackets. If it isn't there then you'll have to use one of the pay to view websites or search the fiche in a record office or library. Gwynne

Kate

Kate Report 28 Dec 2005 19:06

Paul - try searching on Kent BMD at http://extranet3.kent.gov.uk/sp/rois/home.html Click on 'Marriage Certificates' and you will be able to search for them. If you just put in the first few letters of their surname like for instance Flem for Flem(m)ing and choose 'not sure' it will look for any surname beginning with those letters. You have to search one year at a time (otherwise I might have a quick look on your behalf!) and it doesn't give you the spouse's name. But since you know what the bride's surname should be, if and when you find a possible entry for the groom, check to see if there is an entry for the bride with matching reference number, and if there is, you've found them! You can order the certificate via the same site. (It isn't complete yet, though, so you might not find what you want.) This also applies for your other thread. Happy hunting! Kate.

Paul

Paul Report 28 Dec 2005 22:49

i have had a look on th freebmd website and i got a bit stuck, all the searches i done kept going onto www.ancestry.co.uk so it wasnt much help, not unless i was doing it wrong maybe someone would be kind as to have a look for me! regards Paul

Zoe

Zoe Report 28 Dec 2005 22:54

Hi Paul do you have any of the childrens birth certs to confirm her name was Broomfield? Having a look at BMD for you now Zoe

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Dec 2005 22:58

Paul Your best bet is to try the Kent site recommended above. Reg

Paul

Paul Report 28 Dec 2005 23:00

yes i do have there child Hannah Wraight's birth certificate she was born in 1901 in Hoo, Kent - father George Wraight mother Elizabeth Wriaght nee Broomfield

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 28 Dec 2005 23:01

have you tried this one www.freebmd.org.uk getting confussed I thought it was Alice Baker from your other thread

Zoe

Zoe Report 28 Dec 2005 23:06

But your asking us to look for a Fleming and Broomfield??

Zoe

Zoe Report 28 Dec 2005 23:09

Paul I think you are getting your posts mixed up somehow what info do you have of Robert Flemming and Elizabeth Broomfield as the Wraight child is not theirs surely I thought she was George and Alice's Zoe

Paul

Paul Report 28 Dec 2005 23:14

yes sorry im gettin confussed hannah was for another post im looking for a Robert Flemming (Fleming) and Elizabeth Broomfield i know they had a child by 1901 called sarah, my g.grandad i think was there second child Alfred Flemming 1903 in Chatham, Kent hope this helps anyone that can help me!!

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 28 Dec 2005 23:16

might be best to edit headings to the names so don't get so confused

Zoe

Zoe Report 28 Dec 2005 23:16

Why are you sure Elizabeths maiden name is Broomfield? Do you have any of there childrens certs? Zoe

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Dec 2005 23:18

The child born in 1903 doesn't help with finding the marriage. have you tried the Kent site yet? Reg

Paul

Paul Report 28 Dec 2005 23:19

yes i have my g.grandads birth certificate and it states the names on there

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 28 Dec 2005 23:20

Flemming, Alfred Ernest Record Type: Births Quarter: March Year: 1903 District: Medway (1837-1941) County: Kent Volume: 2a Page: 708 (click to see others on page)

Paul

Paul Report 28 Dec 2005 23:21

hi have had a look on the medway cityark website but again with the last website i cant seem to use them. Maybe its just me i dont know!

Zoe

Zoe Report 28 Dec 2005 23:24

Hi so what info is on the birth cert what does it say fathers occupation is? and what is their address at time of birth this may see if the 1901 census Lesley gave you is correct QUOTE 'They were married in 1901 so that narrows your search down a bit. 1901: Robert Fleming abt 1878 Bow, London, England Head Chatham Kent Elizabeth A Fleming abt 1883 Chatham, Kent, England Wife Chatham Kent Sarah A Fleming abt 1900 Chatham, Kent, England Daughter Chatham Kent Richard Millen abt 1858 W Wales, Wales Boarder Chatham Kent UPDATE - though I've found another Robert Fleming that may have married an Elizabeth A. Milling, so got to be careful. Marriages Dec 1898 ......................>Fleming Robert Medway 2a 1194 Martin James Medway 2a 1194 ....................>Milling Elizabeth Ann Medway 2a 1194 Newman Ellen Elizabeth Medway 2a 1194 ' Now if you notice there is a boarder with them with roughly the same name as the Dec Marriage 1898 also supplied by Lesley even though she is young do you think she may have been married before? Zoe

Paul

Paul Report 28 Dec 2005 23:28

posibly she may have married before, i do know that this census record is correct as i have found this information previously. but i just dont know anything about the Broomfields so i thaught if i found there marrage then that will confim both fathers names!

Zoe

Zoe Report 28 Dec 2005 23:34

I think if someone did a lookup for Sarah Broomfield in 1891 as she was only 18 in 1901 so unlikely she had been married before. What was the address on your grt-grandads birth certificate as he was only born 2 years after census they may be living in the same house - just to confirm its them. And what was his fathers occupation? Zoe