Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

When asking for lookups PLEASE do not put the same

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 29 Nov 2005 13:18

We all know that you are anxious to find your rellies,but PLEASE do not put the same request on more than one board. It is so annoying to find out that having offered lookups the same requests are appearing on other threads.W e all have limited time and it is really very annoying to spend sometimes hours looking up obscure requests only to find that the effort has been duplicated and triplicated by 'multiple requesters'. You are in danger of irritating the people who are generously offering not only their time but the resources they have paid good money for to help you. Please wait for a reply and then if the lookup has been unsuccessful post on another thread so that someone else can try. Those who offer lookups are trying to help,please respect what they are doing,so that more people can be helped. Mary

The Bag

The Bag Report 29 Nov 2005 13:21

***round of applause for Mary*** saying what so many of us think, and yet dare not say!

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Nov 2005 13:21

Well said Mary Margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Nov 2005 13:21

Oooooooooooh Jess, I'm sure I've seen you say. lol Margaret

The Bag

The Bag Report 29 Nov 2005 13:23

Just the once or twice!! three of us. last night, did a difficult look up for someone, completely unbeknown to each other.... I've said it , but not nearly so elloquently!!

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Nov 2005 13:25

Jess Yes, saw that. It confused me just reading it. I dont have your patience. That's why I very rarely do lookups now. I have to be extremly bored to bother. Margaret

June

June Report 29 Nov 2005 13:28

3 Cheers for Mary and if they do it again Name and Shame them June

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Nov 2005 13:35

June Trouble with naming and shaming is, it will be you that gets into trouble with GR Margaret

Mary

Mary Report 29 Nov 2005 14:40

Thanks for your interest girls. I will keep nudging this up in the forlorn hope that some of the guilty parties may read it and have a stab of conscience.Fat chance I know,but one can live in hope or cloud cuckoo land,whichever. Mary

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 29 Nov 2005 15:20

Well said Mary. Worth a nudge up the board. Maureen

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 29 Nov 2005 15:51

Hi, Good to see you posting again Margaret. I used to do loads of look ups but, like Margaret, don't do many now. I got fed up with people who wanted you to do it all and didn't want to spend their own money on 1837 credits or buy certificates etc. but were happy to ask others to spend their money and time.. The lack of thanks and duplicate requests didn't help, either. Those of you who still do it have the patience of saints. Gwynne

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Nov 2005 16:54

The trouble is, people are doing lookups that are available on free sites. If they cant be bothered to look at those then they arent going to put their hands in their pockets and pay are they? I know some people dont know what is available, but some of the ones doing the asking have been members for over a year even two. People should be told where to find that info for themselves next time. Margaret By the way, hello Gwynne

Mary

Mary Report 29 Nov 2005 17:56

nudged up for the multiple requesters to read HA HA m

Heather

Heather Report 29 Nov 2005 18:00

And though I dont come in the super star league like you looker-uppers, I get really peed off if someone asks for a bmd and I assume (my fault I know) that they have tried the free sites (cos its alway HELP, Ive looked everywhere, isnt it) and after spending units on familyrellies someone else will say, here it is on freebmd. SCREAM. Ive just seen a lot of people had looked up census results for someone that I looked up for over 2 hours last week and the person has asked again. STILL, as we always end up saying, the majority of people are brilliant!

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 29 Nov 2005 20:03

Oh dear just been caught out so not a happy soul. Going to have to start a black list of names to avoid. Maureen

The Bag

The Bag Report 29 Nov 2005 23:12

they might Mary if its at the top **Whack it back there!**

Heather

Heather Report 30 Nov 2005 19:44

c

June

June Report 10 Dec 2005 18:06

Nudge as its happening again Asking on tips + record board June

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Dec 2005 22:25

A timely nudge..........