Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with finding Death - Coutts Miles - say 1890-

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 11 Nov 2005 15:59

I'd be very grateful if anyone could find a record for the death of the above person. I've tried free bmd and ancestry.com and the scope kind of rules pay as you go records office site. I'd guess he was in the London area as that is where his children were. There are not many Coutts to the pound, so if you manage to find a Coutts Miles, he'll be my man. Know for definite that he changed his name between 1871-1881 from Coutts Piccini to Coutts Miles. He was listed on three of his children's marriage certificates as Coutts Miles father from 1890-1892 and not deceased. Many thanks for any help with death record. Kim.

Fiona

Fiona Report 11 Nov 2005 16:17

Hi Kim, do you have him on any census? I can't see him on any census under either name. What were his childrens names and dates/places of birth?

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy

☼ Orangeblossom ☼ - Tracy Report 11 Nov 2005 16:21

Nothing under that name up to 1920.

Kim

Kim Report 11 Nov 2005 16:28

Hi - thanks for replying! Coutts is on the following census under the following names:- 1841 - mistranscribed as Coutez Piccini at 13 Trafalgar St Lambeth. 1851 - mistranscribed on ancestry.com as Contes Paccione at 13 Trafalgar St 1861 - No Coutts, but mum Lucy & sisters at 24 Trafalgar St 1871 - mistranscribed on ancestry.com as Cath Piccini with wife Elizabeth and children, ada, chas, elizabeth, henry & louisa at 3 Hampden Street, Gorton, Lancashire. 1881 - No Coutts, but have mum Lucy Piccini with sister Louisa now a 'Surguy' at 41 Appian Road, Bow. 1881 - have Coutt's daughters Louisa Miles at 5 Ebeneezer Place, Lambeth. 1891 - Have Louisa Miles with sister Ada at 24 Salisbury Road, Tottenham 1901 - Have Louisa Miles, now Herbert, at 47 Boleyn Road, St Stephens. Also know Coutts Piccini married Amy Coules in 1861, she died within the year of a heart attack at 19. Know all of the above to be accurate. Many thanks for any help in trying to find the death of Coutts Miles. Regards, Kim

Kim

Kim Report 11 Nov 2005 16:29

Tracy, Many thanks for looking. Kind regards, Kim

Unknown

Unknown Report 11 Nov 2005 17:39

Kim Obviously it would help if you could narrow down the dates for looking. When was he born? And am I right in thinking that you have not only lost him but also his wife Elizabeth in 1891-1901? nell

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 11 Nov 2005 18:00

Confused (kind of).... you call him Coutts Miles and Coutts Piccini.... which one do you think he's reigstered under? Have you also checked Piccini? If he changed his surname between 1871-1881 but you don't have him on a following census, how can you be so sure that he changed his surname at all?

The Bag

The Bag Report 11 Nov 2005 18:14

wheh his daughter married Mr herbert, what name did she give for father and what was his occupation please. Whe you say Mum Lucy - is that his mum or mother of his children?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Nov 2005 18:16

Did he sign as a witness at his children's marriages? If not, the fact that he is not shown as deceased doesn't mean that he was neccessarily alive. Have you seen John Coutts MYLES death on freebmd 1894.? Wrong age but it might link in somewhere.

The Bag

The Bag Report 11 Nov 2005 18:22

1871 in full for for ref View Record Ada Piccini abt 1869 Sussex, England Daughter Gorton Lancashire View Record Cath Piccini abt 1839 Sussex, England Head Gorton Lancashire View Record Chas Piccini abt 1866 Sussex, England Son Gorton Lancashire View Record Elith Piccini abt 1838 Sussex, England Wife Gorton Lancashire View Record Elizth Piccini abt 1863 Middlesex, England Daughter Gorton Lancashire View Record Henry Piccini abt 1870 Lancashire, England Son Gorton Lancashire View Record Louisa Piccini abt 1865 Sussex, England Daughter Gorton Lancashire 1881 - might delete in a minute tho! View Record Ada M. Miles abt 1868 Brighton, Sussex, England Daughter 40 Church Rd, Hove, Sussex, England View Record Eliza Miles abt 1835 Chichester, Sussex, England Wife 40 Church Rd, Hove, Sussex, England View Record Eliza S. Miles abt 1862 Brighton, Sussex, England Daughter 40 Church Rd, Hove, Sussex, England View Record George A. F. Miles abt 1870 Brighton, Sussex, England Son 40 Church Rd, Hove, Sussex, England View Record Louisa E. Miles abt 1866 Brighton, Sussex, England Daughter 40 Church Rd, Hove, Sussex, England View Record William Miles abt 1833 Epsom, Surrey, England Head 40 Church Rd, Hove, Sussex, England

Esta

Esta Report 11 Nov 2005 18:27

Miles / Piccini I'm very confused ( it doesn't take much ! ) as to what the surname is suppose to be from 1881 onwards. I've had a look around - and the best I can do so far is a Possible for son HENRY MILES (!) 1881 Name: Henry Miles Age in 1881: 11 Age months: 0 Estimated birth year: abt 1870 Relationship to head-of-household: Patient Household: View other family members Family and neighbors: View neighbors Gender: Male Where born: Manchester, Lancashire, England Address: Kings College Hospital Portugal St Civil parish: St Clement Danes County/Island: London Condition as to marriage: Unknown Occupation: Scholar 1891 Name: Miles, Henry Age: 21 Estimated birth year: abt 1870 Relation: Lodger Gender: Male Where Born: Manchester, Lancashire Birth Country: England Civil parish: Tottenham Ecclesiastical parish: St Michael County/Island: Middlesex 1901 Alice Miles abt 1893 Tottenham, Middlesex, England Daughter Tottenham Middlesex Henry Miles abt 1870 Manchester, Lancashire, England Head Tottenham Middlesex Henry Miles abt 1894 Tottenham, Middlesex, England Son Tottenham Middlesex Rebecca Miles abt 1873 Tottenham, Middlesex, England Wife Tottenham Middlesex Rebecca Miles abt 1899 Tottenham, Middlesex, England Daughter Tottenham Middlesex William Miles abt 1895 Tottenham, Middlesex, England Son Tottenham Middlesex

Kim

Kim Report 11 Nov 2005 18:30

To answer queries above:- 1. When Louisa (Coutt's daughter) married mr Herbert, she gave her father's name as Coutts Miles, professional housepainter/decorator. 2. Lucy Piccini was Coutt's mother. 3. Yes, Coutts Miles did sign as father to all 3 children's marriages. 4. I know that Coutts changed his name and his children's name from Piccini to Miles because it was known in the family before I started my research. Henry Miles (my greatx2 grandfather) went to claim his pension to be told he didn't exist. His older sister then told him he was born Henry Piccini, in Chorlton, Gorton, Lancs. He was then able to claim his birth certificate and his pension. His sister knew Coutts was Coutts Piccini. 5. Coutts Piccini's birth was never registered in 1837. Although the baptism for his older brother, Frederick Johnson is recorded. Hope this helps. Thanks to everyone.

Kim

Kim Report 11 Nov 2005 18:32

Esta, The Henry Miles you have in all three census is correct. I applied to the hospital (1881) but they said he couldn't have stayed in overnight and consequently don't have any personal records for him. Thanks., Kim

The Bag

The Bag Report 11 Nov 2005 18:34

so where and when was the LATEST certificate of marriage that Coutts signed as father

Kim

Kim Report 11 Nov 2005 18:35

The last marriage Coutts Miles signed for as father was for Henry to Rebecca Rumble on Christmas Day 1892.

The Bag

The Bag Report 11 Nov 2005 18:38

so in 1891 I would assume (maybe wrongly) that he was in the vicinity of where ever henry got married. where did he get married please

Kim

Kim Report 11 Nov 2005 18:42

Coutt's childrens marriages:- Ada Miles married Frederick James Lay in Wood Green, Middlesex, January 5th 1890 Louisa Miles married Mr Herbert Wood Green, Middlesex 5th June 1892 Henry Miles married Rebecca Rumble Wood Green, Dec 25th 1892 He signed for all three as dad in name of Coutt's Miles, decorator/house painter I am hoping he is in the same area. ALSO, John Coutts Myles that someone further up mentioned was born in the same area they lived in at one point (St Giles registration district), which was where Ada was born.

Kim

Kim Report 11 Nov 2005 18:49

Also, I have trawled through the register office deaths under the name of Coutts Piccini from as far back as 1870 (before I get him on the last census, 1871) right through to 1925. He is not there.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Nov 2005 18:57

Who were the witnesses at Coutts' children's marriages?

Kim

Kim Report 11 Nov 2005 19:01

The witnesses for Ada's marriage to Frederick Lay were James Webb & Louisa Miles (Ada's sister) The witnesses for Henry's marriage to Rebecca Rumble were John Henry Herbert & Louisa Herbert (same sister, but married now) Can't transcribe Louisa's witnesses.