Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1871 Census lookup....THANKS EVERYONE!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 8 Sep 2005 17:50

Hi, I am looking for a strange name...HOMARK/HEMARK or something like that. I am in particular looking for a Mary A Homark born around 1822 in Bolton Lancashire. In 1861 she was living with her brother-in-law and should be sister...ellen Winterton Formerly Peacock Not the same surname. Possibly half sisters? Different Fathers? Anyway Mary's occupation was a dressmaker and she was unmarried. They were living at 6 Jubilee Terrace Everton, Liverpool. It would help alot to find her this surname is a very unusual one. Thanks Stephanie.

The Ego

The Ego Report 8 Sep 2005 18:12

steph-can you tell me what image you saw for 1861-might be a minstranscription

Liberty64

Liberty64 Report 8 Sep 2005 18:13

Alter, Ive looked at the Image and It clearly reads 'Hemark'! For reference the details on 1861 census. Mary A Hemark abt 1822 Bolton, Lancashire, England Sister-in-law Everton Lancashire Eliza Winterton abt 1836 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Wife Everton Lancashire Ellen Winterton abt 1860 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Daughter Everton Lancashire Richard Winterton abt 1855 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Son Everton Lancashire Robert Winterton abt 1857 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Son Everton Lancashire William Winterton abt 1835 Ashbourne, Derbyshire, England Head Everton Lancashire RG9 /2710 Registration district: West Derby Sub-registration district: Everton ED, institution, or vessel: 8 Folio: 49 Page: 3 Household schedule number: 13 GSU Number: 543016 There dosent appear to be another 'HEMARK' on any census returns or records on Ancestry!

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 8 Sep 2005 18:14

Sorry I don't understand what you mean. The folio number is 49 and the address is 6 Jubilee Terrace, Parish or township is Everton and its is in the borough of Liverpool the ecclesiastical district is St Augustines. Hope this helps.

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 8 Sep 2005 18:16

Are there any finds of teh name in Liverpool i have tried searching on IGI just for that name but nothing appears. Stephanie.

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 8 Sep 2005 18:18

hereb is 1861 looks like Hemark Mary A Hemark abt 1822 Bolton, Lancashire, England Sister-in-law Everton Lancashire Eliza Winterton abt 1836 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Wife Everton Lancashire Ellen Winterton abt 1860 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Daughter Everton Lancashire Richard Winterton abt 1855 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Son Everton Lancashire Robert Winterton abt 1857 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Son Everton Lancashire William Winterton abt 1835 Ashbourne, Derbyshire, England Head Everton Lancashire Jeanette

Merry

Merry Report 8 Sep 2005 18:18

Don't forget, the enumerator was copying from the householders record sheet. As William whatever-his-name-was (the bro-in-law) was a watchmaker, I would think theres a good chance he could read and write (you might know this if you have his marriage cert??) and therefore the enumerator wouldn't have had to write the householders sheet himself, but he would have to transcribe it. If William wrote Peacock in poor handwriting, could it not have ended up completely different on the census?? Not that I can find Mary in 1871!! Merry

The Ego

The Ego Report 8 Sep 2005 18:19

IGI is awaste of time-if youre doing genealogy in detail you need ancestry-its about a £1 a week at the moment- a pittence compared to what people are charged for having the internet in the first place.

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 8 Sep 2005 18:21

I am going to get a real copy of the marriage cert this weekend so that may help. Eliza's maiden name was peacock and her so called sister is hemark. There are no names as such in 1881 so this name must be really rare. I also don't think that she may have gotten married at 39 a possibility if she did but she would have very little children would this influence mens choice? Steph

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 8 Sep 2005 18:23

I will have to see about ancestry i have found alot with family search on certain families. Thanks for looking up stuff everyone.

Jeanette

Jeanette Report 8 Sep 2005 18:28

found this 1861 Catherine Homark abt 1852 Kingsclere, Hampshire, England Daughter Kingsclere Hampshire George Homark abt 1841 Kingsclere, Hampshire, England Son Kingsclere Hampshire Johnathan Homark abt 1809 Kingsclere, Hampshire, England Head Kingsclere Hampshire Rebecca Homark abt 1813 Kingsclere, Hampshire, England Wife Kingsclere Hampshire Rosa Homark abt 1855 Kingsclere, Hampshire, England Daughter Kingsclere Hampshire Sarah Homark abt 1849 Daughter Kingsclere Hampshire Thomas Homark abt 1858 Kingsclere, Hampshire, England Son Kingsclere Hampshire

Merry

Merry Report 8 Sep 2005 18:29

Bet you a pound Mary Ann turns out to be a Peacock! Merry

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 8 Sep 2005 18:31

Strange Jeanette Homarks appear in 1861 & then don't appear again!! The image is a bit dubious though! Penny

Merry

Merry Report 8 Sep 2005 18:36

Bet this is her in 1851!! Name Mary A. Peacock Age – Occupation Dress Maker BirthPlace LAN. Bolton Borough Liverpool Ward, Parish or Township Abercromby Ecclesiastical Parish – Piece No & Part 2183/1 Folio 0027 Registration District 461/6 There are two Eliza Peacock's on the same index. One is Eliza J Peacock and the other without a middle initial. I would have got the details for you, but I only have 2p left and it would have cost me 12p!!! I should think someone else with access to Family History Online would be able to get the Eliza's for you (if one has the same Piece and Folio as Mary A, above, then they are likely to be in the same household). Otherwise, if you ask for a lookup on 1851 Lancashire someone may be able to get you the actual page for the entry above. Merry

The Ego

The Ego Report 8 Sep 2005 18:39

Steph take it from us-ive done the same search -he married eliza peacock-her name is peacock not homark ,hemark any mark...........save yourself a lot of unececessary expense, My suspicions about the surname being mistranscribed were first aroused by the fact that that one census image was the only refence to that name out of allth ecensi in the whole world for 1861,1871,1881,1891,1901-millions of names-only this one -doesnt make sense-no refernce on free bmd-nothing there are 24 nellie lemons in ancestry database.

Merry

Merry Report 8 Sep 2005 18:40

Those people from Kingsclere in 1861 are called Harmsworth on the next census! Merry

The Ego

The Ego Report 8 Sep 2005 18:45

When the surname Lewis is mistranscribed as Severio,anything is possible.........whats worse is that if you write out both names in copperplate,making Lewis quite elaborate,its understandable,how it has been misread. In your case Steph,themistake has been done at a different stage like monty said.

♫ Penny €

♫ Penny € Report 8 Sep 2005 18:51

Hi I've had the name Finch transcribed as Smick so yep anything is possible!! Penny

StephScouser

StephScouser Report 8 Sep 2005 18:59

THANKS EVERYONE SORRY I DIDN'T REPLY SOONER I WAS HAVING MY TEA. THANKS AGAIN STEPHANIE.

The Ego

The Ego Report 8 Sep 2005 19:00

Steph.............................. Here she is .......... 1871 census Henry pearce 70 head !!!!! Shopkeeper born liverpool Mary pearce 49 wife Seamstress born Bolton Edward 8 son scholar born liverpool 47 Pitt Street liverpool Henry george pearce married mary ann peacock june 1861 Liverpool 8b 519