Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Islington Past

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 5 May 2005 17:40

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 5 May 2005 17:40

Purchased a book on Islington at the Family History Fair in London on Saturday, titled Islington Past. Got quite a lot of facts about the area. If you'd like me to look up anything about buildings that were there, or facts about Islington, would be pleased to look. It's not a large book, so may not have what you are looking for, but willing to look for you. Lynda

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 5 May 2005 17:47

Anything on bakers in Islington? Pianoforte makers? Anything on Donegal Street Buildings?? Thanks Chloe

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 5 May 2005 17:55

Sorry Chloe no to both I'm afraid. Do you know what the buildings were called in Donegal Street, could be under that? Lynda

Zoe

Zoe Report 5 May 2005 17:57

Lynda I have an ancestor in Islington about 1800 - 1850 who's occupation is gardener. I've been told that a proper gardener would have worked in a big house rather than family gardens (then he would have been a labourer!!) If theres any clues as to whether there was a big estate etc then I'd be very grateful kiss kiss Z

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 5 May 2005 18:02

My nana was born there in 1908, it was called Donegal Street Buildings! But in 1916 when her sister died, it was Henry Buildings. Thanks for looking. Chloe

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 5 May 2005 18:08

PS - anything on immigrants? German in particular?!?

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 5 May 2005 18:08

Hiya Zoe Nice to meet you Saturday. The book hs more Municipal buildings, libraries churches, cattle markets, even a farm! but not estates. I come from Islington, and there are some very grand houses there, and expect they would have had gardeners work for them Have you thought of a gardener in a park or church? Over the Road to my house there was a church, and across the Road a park, they had gardners there, or would they have been classed as labourers way back? Lynda

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 5 May 2005 18:12

Sorry again Chloe, nothing on Henry Buildings, or Immigration. Lynda

McDitzy

McDitzy Report 5 May 2005 18:22

Thanks for looking, Lynda.

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 5 May 2005 18:29

Hi Lynda I'd be very interested if it throws anything up on Charlotte Terrace, Providence Place , Theatre Land peeps ( Scenic Artists in particular ) and Book Binders ( Bulls Pond Road ) You never know I might strike lucky for once LOL!! Thank you & much happiness Debi

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 May 2005 18:50

Your Royal Highness, I would be pleased if you could check out any references to: Georges Road, Lower Holloway or Hornsey Road, Lower Holloway or just Lower Holloway. Yours in humility, nell

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 5 May 2005 19:20

Hi Debi Only reference to Providence Place is the Baptist Church, one of the oldest c 1832, opposite Islington Green, there until 1931, when the British Legion took it over. It is now the headquarters of the National Asthma Camaign. There are references to Balls Pond Road, but nothing with aBook binder connection. Lynda

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 5 May 2005 19:27

Well done Nell you know just how I like to be addressed :))))) There is quitre a few references to Hornsey Road, and loads to Holloway Road what are you looking for there? Got some photos as well. Let me know Luv HRH x

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 5 May 2005 19:48

Hi Chris Sorry no reference to either, sorry Lynda

Debi Coone

Debi Coone Report 5 May 2005 19:55

Many thanks Lynda for having a butchers. Much happiness Debi

Susan

Susan Report 5 May 2005 20:04

Hi Lynda Lovely to see your name again - Any mention of Warner Street, Islington. Many thanks Susan

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 5 May 2005 20:16

Thats very nice of you Susan Thank You. Sorry to say can't find anything on Warner Street though, not having much luck am I? Shame because I have found lots of stuff for the area where I lived, it's so interesting, just wish I could find some things for others. Lynda

Susan

Susan Report 5 May 2005 20:28

Hi Lynda Many thanks for looking for Warner Street for me. Enjoy your book. Susan

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 5 May 2005 20:57

Hi Lyla There is no reference at all to Brickfields, sorry :( Lynda