Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Heres another thread offering Ancestry look ups +O

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 26 Oct 2004 23:28

Please include as much info as possible.Help me to help you. Thanks Mary

Julie

Julie Report 27 Oct 2004 00:47

Hi, Do you think you could check these two out - they are George Preston Starkey c 1825 born Yeadon and George Starkey c 1826 also born Yeadon. I have nothing on George Preston till the 1881 but nothing on George after the 1851. I sometimes wonder if they are one and the same but I have christening dates for the both of them. Regards Julie

Annabel

Annabel Report 27 Oct 2004 02:03

Hello again, thanks to the information you gave me, I was able to trace the family history of my great grandmother, I wonder if I could ask for another look up please. SUSANNAH MILES d/o/b 1836? Witney oxon, married a JOSEPH COOPER d/o/b 1835 Witney. am very grateful to you and all the others who have helped me, hope when I come to the uk next year to spent time in some of the records offices. cheers ANN

Mary

Mary Report 27 Oct 2004 12:21

Hi Julie No luck with your look up I regret to say. I tried 1871 on Ancestry but Yeadon has not been transcribed.I checked on 1881 and from the age given for George Starkey(55) I think he must be the one born 1826. Where did you get the info on the Christening dates are they from a reliable source? I think your next move should be to ask for a look up from someone who has 1851/61 censuses for Yorkshire,they will be able to give you more help and have local knowledge that I do not have. Sorry Good luck Mary

Mary

Mary Report 27 Oct 2004 12:54

Hi Ann of Perth Firstly marriage reference for Joseph and Susanna June Quarter 1856 Witney Vol 3a Page 812. 1871 census Living at West End,Hailey,Witney Joseph Cooper 35 Head Maltman b Witney Susannah Cooper 33 Wife Bobbin Winder b Witney William Cooper 14 Son Maltman b Witney Sarah A Cooper 12 Daur Nursemaid b Hailey Joseph Cooper 10 Son Scholar b Hailey John Cooper 8 Son Scholar b Hailey Florence Cooper 6 Daur Scholar b Hailey Emily Cooper 4 Daur Scholar b Hailey Jesse Cooper 2 Son b Hailey Ellen Cooper 1 mth Daur b Hailey 1861 Living at West End ,Hailey Joseph Cooper 25 Head Ag Lab b Witney Ann Cooper 24 Wife b Witney William Cooper 4 Son Scholar b Witney Sarah Cooper 2 Daur Scholar b Hailey Joseph Cooper 4 mths b Hailey It is clearly the correct family even though his wife is Ann,perhaps the enumerator could not spell Susannah. Regards Mary

Julie

Julie Report 27 Oct 2004 15:25

Thanks for that - it was worth a try :o) The Christening info is from the actual Parish Registers so I know thats right. One day I will find the two elusive Georges Regards, Julie

Mary

Mary Report 27 Oct 2004 23:14

Hi Ann of Perth I had nothing better to do so I thought I would look for Joseph and Susannah prior to their marriage. Could not find Joseph on 1851 or 1841 in Witney or Hailey. On 1851 I found the following: Living in Corn St,Witney John Miles 38 Head Labourer b Witney Eliza Miles Wife 40 b Witney John Miles 17 Son Feeder at Mill b Witney Susannah Miles 14 Daur Illegible at Mill b Witney William Miles 11 Son Weaver winder b Witney James Miles 8 Son Scholar b Witney Joseph Miles 3 Son b Witney Mary Miles 1 Daur b Witney Regards Mary

Annabel

Annabel Report 28 Oct 2004 00:46

Hi Mary once again my thanks, I have been seaching a long time for the marriage of Joseph and Susannah Cooper, you have made my week, cheers ANN

Sheila

Sheila Report 28 Oct 2004 22:33

Hi Mary Could you please look in the 1851/61 Census for James Adams, born early 1800s, Butler at Worcester College, Oxford. Many thanks, Sheila

Mary

Mary Report 28 Oct 2004 23:46

Sheila This lookup is going to be very difficult without more information. I have looked at both 1851and 1861 censuses(neither of which are indexed) and have found Worcester College but cannot find James Adams living in the College as a butler.This means that he lived outside college as did most of the college servants and travelled to his place of work.Thus he could have lived in any one of up to 10 parishes in Oxford. It would be a mammoth task to "eyeball" search every parish,unless you can find someone on this site who has an index to the Oxfordshire 1861 census who could come up with some possibles and references which I could look up. Really need more info such as place of birth,year of birth,was he married and some idea of where he lived. Sorry to be so negative but really cannot help with so little info. Do you have him on any other census? Regards Mary

Zoe

Zoe Report 29 Oct 2004 01:51

Hi Linda, Thanks for the offer. Would it be too cheeky to ask for 2 searches? Firstly in 1871 census for a Harriet WOODHOUSE age 60 b.Acle, Norfolk Secondly in 1891 census for a Edith Elizabeth HIPKISS (she was down as HIPKINS in 1901, if that helps) age 7 born Thornaby, Yorks. (parents William & Eliza HIPKISS). Thanks so much. Zoe, NZ

Mary

Mary Report 29 Oct 2004 09:42

Hi Linda Really sorry but I cannot help you with a look up for Bessels Leigh as it does not appear on any of my Oxon censuses until 1871 when he is living in Berkshire. A lot of the villages very close to the Oxon/Berks border are difficult as they seem to move between counties from census to census. Another rellie taken by aliens!! So sorry Mary

Mary

Mary Report 29 Oct 2004 16:50

Hi Zoe Not good news sorry to say Harriett Woodhouse Norfolk is not yet on Ancestry and I could not find her in any of the available counties. Hipkiss no trace on 1891 using either of the spellings.Where were they in 1901?If you have an address it might help me to find them as they could be the victims of that terrible Miss Transcription. Regards Mary

Tracy

Tracy Report 29 Oct 2004 17:56

Hi Mary Hope you can help, im trying to whos daughter Jane crook was as i have a few jane's in my tree. I have found a jane crook who married a John Held in jul 1847 in leckhampstead Bucks. I have her on the 1851 census married and born leckhampstad but her age is showing as 22 and i am not convinced this was her true age. She had died by 1881 and her death is not on bmd. Could you check the 1861/71 census and see if she was still living: It may be easy to look for her spouse: John Held B: 1827 leckhampstead bucks. Living in leckhampstead or bradwell buckingham (thats where he was in 1881) Sorry, im sure you didnt need all that info.. hope you can help Thanks Tracey

Mary

Mary Report 29 Oct 2004 19:06

Hi Tracey This is an interesting one.I have found John Held on the 1871 census but I cannot get the image to come up on screen ,some sort of error.BUT I got a print of the other household members and I will give them to you as they appear on Ancestry: Living in Bradwell,Bucks John Held Head 44 b Leckhamstead S Held 42 Wife b Tingewick,Bucks W Held 23 Son b Leckhamstead A Held 15 Daur b Leckhamsread AE Held 1 Daur b New Bradwell,Bucks C Held 3 Son b New Bradwell E Held 12 Daur b Leckhamstead EA Held 18 Daur b Leckhamstead Tom Held 10 Stepson b Leckhamstead James Kell 20 Son b Leckhamstead W Shirley 20 Stepson b Tingewick Looks as if he remarried after Jane's death,probably about 1867ish Glad I don't have to sort them out.I think there might be some mistranscriptions and other mistakes.Have fun!!!! Regards Mary

Sheila

Sheila Report 29 Oct 2004 21:28

Dear Mary Sorry to be a pain. Regarding James Adams, the only info that I have comes from his son's Marriage cert. I'll try to find some more info. Unfortunately, on the 1871 census, his son's place of birth is given as Oxford, which is not much help. Thanks for trying.. Kind regards Sheila

Mary

Mary Report 29 Oct 2004 23:48

Sheila When was James son born if you can locate that it should give details of address which will make a search easier. I also looked at Worcester College on Oxford 1841 and could not find James. Regards Mary

Tracy

Tracy Report 30 Oct 2004 17:42

Thanks Mary, Gee, i guess i have a bit of work to do on them, but hey at least i have something to go on, better than nothing. Thank you very very much for finding them for me, its much appreciated. Tracey :-))

Sheila

Sheila Report 30 Oct 2004 19:40

Hi Mary James Adams son, James was born 1826/27. I have looked at the IGI and Pedigree Resource file, but with no luck. Thanks again Regards Sheila

Mary

Mary Report 31 Oct 2004 00:27

Hi Irene Found Edmund Webley in 1871 as follows Living in Oxford Street,Woodstock Edmund Webley 53 Widower Glove Manufacturer employing 24 Men and Girls b Worcester Mary Ann Radbourn 13 General Domestic Servant b Freeland,Oxon The books for Woodstock 1861 have been lost so no records I could not find Edmund in 1851 but there is this interesting entry with no husband present but the two eldest children born in Worcester.Could the enumerator made a mistake with the surname and could it be Edmund's family???What a mystery!!!!! 1851 Living in Woodstock Mary Glover Wife 36 Glove manufacturer's wife b Weymouth John Glover Son 10 Scholar b Worcester Thomas Glover 8 Son Scholar b Worcester Jane Glover 5 Daur Scholar b London Catherine Glover 2 Daur b Woodstock Charles Glover 1 Son b Woodstock Sarah ???? 16 Servant b Woodstock Good luck sorting this lot out Regards Mary