Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My 12/1/04 a.m. visit to Q National Archives - UPD

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 11 Jan 2004 21:59

Hi All, I'm hoping to go to Q tomorrow morning to look up Medals Index Cards. (Weather permitting). If you would like me to also search for soldiers details/medals awarded to them please let me know. I only intend to be there up until lunch time so will try and help upto 5 people if I can. Please leave details below.

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 11 Jan 2004 22:03

Gillian These are really sketchy details, so not to worry if you can't look. All the info I have is Thomas James Maggs who was born c1872.I was told he was gassed in a war, but not sure which one it would have been, so if you have to search by war and not name then I understand you won't be able to look. Sorry to be so vague. Lynda

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 11 Jan 2004 22:05

Thank you for your kind offer. I have a 4xgt grandfather James Goldsmith from Rotherfield/Crowborough East Sussex. On his daughter's marriage cert - 1853 - it shows his occupation as 'soldier'. I have nothing more than this, but would be very grateful if you could just look up his name and see if any correspond. I believe he would have been born around 1790ish. If others have more pressing enquiries, please don't worry about this. Thanks in advance for anything you find. Cheers. Maz. XX

Marcie

Marcie Report 11 Jan 2004 22:09

yes please if you have time, just looking for pte frank john bunch 4582 died at ypers 13/05/1915, he was the only frank bunch killed in the 1stww, any info would be just great marciexxx

Carole

Carole Report 11 Jan 2004 22:15

Hi Gillian Would you be able to look up Corporal William Walton, 3851809, 1st BTN, The LOyal Regiment (North Lancashire) who was wounded at Dunkirk and died of his injuries 02.06.1940. Any info would be appreciated Many thanks Carole Walker

Robin

Robin Report 11 Jan 2004 22:17

Wonderful. Can you please check Private Percy Eastwood. No 48327 Northumberland Fusiliers,WW1 H/a 5 Hollowgate, Rotherham Yorks, a survivor who was wounded three times. Many Many thanks

Sandra

Sandra Report 11 Jan 2004 22:18

Hello Gillian Not being familar with the layout at PRO Archives at Q, I may be asking for something that is not within your possibility tomorrow. I have the index for a divorce that I would like the case notes for. Jan 1886 616 Stow (Walter) v S. (Alice) & Gibbs ( John) Now I was told to go to the PRO site and find this reference in J77. So as far as I can figure out I am looking for Yr 1886 J 77/616 a box with 30 files would be given to you and you would look for the one that had to do with the divorce of Walter & Alice Stow I know that likely you will not be able to do this but I figure there is no harm in asking. I would be willing to re-imburse you any costs involved if there are any. Thanks for your generous offer. Sandra in Ontario, Canada

Jan

Jan Report 11 Jan 2004 22:19

Hi there Gillian I was wondering if you dont mind looking for anything about my great grandfather Stanley Frederick Lenthall Bartlett born June 10, 1890 was a private (stableman)in the Royal Berkshire Regiment and was serving in 1918 anything you could find would be fantastic he may be under Frederick I dont know if you could change names I know he did later in life although I dont think officially. I really do appreciate this. with many thanks Jan x

Gillian

Gillian Report 11 Jan 2004 22:30

Marcia, I have sent you a email with some info. Gillian

Gillian

Gillian Report 11 Jan 2004 22:32

Hi Lynda, Have you got any other birth details i.e., birthplace and do you know where he was living that may help identify Thomas Maggs. Thanks Gillian

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 11 Jan 2004 22:36

Gill He was born in Islington London c 1872 & was living in Islington or the Strand area of London. Hope this helps. Thanks again Lynda

Karen

Karen Report 11 Jan 2004 22:47

Hi Gillian, If you have the time could you please see if you can find information on William Noon(e) born 1793-1795 in Thurlaston, Warwickshire, part of Dunchurch parish.He was married to Fanny(Francis). In 1851 census he was described as Greenwich Pensioner and on marriage cert in 1820 was stationed as private, later corporal at Plymouth division of marines. I would be very interested to know if there are any further details concerning his military service. With thanks, Karen

Gillian

Gillian Report 11 Jan 2004 22:48

Hi Sandra, I have only been to Q National Archives once but I am of the understanding that the only records that they hold there are to do with British Wars and Service records. I think the General Records office at Summerset House is the place that would hold the info you require and unfortunately I'm not going there. Sorry. Gillian

Sandra

Sandra Report 11 Jan 2004 23:44

Hi Gillian According to their site, the older divorce records are at the National Archive, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, but heaven knows There is a way of ordering them online for a fee, which I have what building or where you would have to go to find them. no problem with, but I find their catalogue very confusing. I know they seem to think it is easy but I am totally bewildered most of the time. I have asked if anyone here has ordered online from there but have had no replies so I guess not. But thank you for taking the time to respond to my request. I appreciate it. Sandra in Ontario, Canada

Gillian

Gillian Report 11 Jan 2004 23:49

Hi Sandra, I will take your info with me and make some enquiries for you. I will let you know. Gillian

Sandra

Sandra Report 12 Jan 2004 00:01

Hi Gillian, Thank you once again. Just noticed my last message got all mixed up when it was submitted. Wonder that you could make any sense of it. Don't spend too much time on it. If you are meant to be able to help it should happen quickly or else it must wait for me to figure out another way. Take care Sandra

Gillian

Gillian Report 12 Jan 2004 20:20

Hi All, Please find below all that I have found out for you all. However, some I was not able to find out anything, sorry. MIC = Medal Index Card Roll & Page: With each medal awarded on MIC it gives a ref to the actual paperwork that may give additional info but sorry I did not have time to order & view them. Hi Lynda, I found a MIC for a Thomas James Maggs but unsure if it is your one but here goes: For his Corps it has 'ASL' or 'ASG'. Regiment it only has 'SS' - ? Service number; 6917 This soldier recieved the Victory - Roll number RASC/10113246 page 25314 Also, The Star - Roll Number RASL/6B11 page 5026 It stated Theatre of war was: (1) France Additional info. was that he was discharged. So I don't know whether or not he also went onto fight again later or unfortunately this is not your soldier. Gillian ************************ Hi Maz, I had problems with this one also and sought help from staff who informed me that without a regiment to go on it would be a very long process in trying to find out for you on James Goldsmith. However, she did say that if he was serving in the war during the time of any of his children being born then the service birth certificates should state which regiment and other info on them. So I hope you get lucky. *************************** Hi Marcie, I found Frank John Bunch's MIC and it confirmed your info that you have already. He was awarded the:- Victory - Roll: CY/10413 page 333. British War medal - ditto The Star - Roll: CY/9 page 23 Additional information was that he was KIA 13/5/15 ******************** Hi Carole, Sorry but I was told that the ministry of defence has not yet released soldier records for 1940 to Q and you will need to contact: (For Army officers and soldiers since 1920) Army Personnel Centre, Historic Disclosures, Mailpoint 400, Kentigern Hse, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow, G2 8EX e-mail:[email protected] or Tel: 0141 224 2335 (tel: only no for soldiers with surname between sher-Z ***************** Hi Robin, I found MIC for Percy Eastwood - no 48327 and it confirmed regiment He was awarded both the Victory and British War medal, Roll: 0/1/1051342 page 10000 The only other remards were that he was discharged 392 (xxv111) I'm unsure what numbers are after discharged comment and neither did the staff. ***************** Hi Janet, I was unable to find a suitable Stanley Bartlett but I did find a couple of Frederick Bartlett's that served in Royal Berks so I'm hoping that one of them maybe yours. Serv. No.: 9920 1st Royal Berks Theatre of War: France Awarded: Victory- Roll: 105 paga 194 British War - ditto Start: 2/3 13 29 Remarks: Discharged ----------------- Serv No 16292, 55271, 5329794 2nd Royal Berks Awarded: Victory Roll: L/105 page 194 British - ditto - Star L/3 B 29 ************************************ Hi Sandra, I'm really sorry but ran out of time and did not get a chance to look up info for you. *******************

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 12 Jan 2004 20:26

Gilian Thank you so much for the information you gave me about Thomas Maggs. With this information I can now ask another family member if it would be him. Thanks again I really do appreciate your time. Lynda

Gillian

Gillian Report 12 Jan 2004 20:41

nudge

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 12 Jan 2004 20:49

Thank you for trying Gillian, thought he may be a problem. Let me know if I can return the favour for you in the future (FRC or LMA) Maz. XX