Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Starting marriage witnesses website

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Georgina

Georgina Report 31 Oct 2003 12:49

People on the tips board seemed to be in need of a site to list marriage witnesses. I have (Just!!!) started one. If I can put in 1/2 - 1 hr a day it may get going. Please e-mail me the witnesses you have with the following info: Surname, First Name, Place Married, Date, Registration District, PRO Reference -Vol/Page, , Other reference, e-mail for details, People married, Items are know going onto the site -please report any problems to me!!! Keep this nudges http://www(.)personal(.)leeds(.)ac.uk/~phy7grl Many thanks George

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){

}((((*> Jeanette The Haddock <*)))){ Report 31 Oct 2003 13:09

Looking good so far girl! I will send you the details from my paltry 1 marriage cert. Jeanette P.S. I think you look 'lovely'. Bet you've never heard that one before!LOL

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 31 Oct 2003 13:09

george what a fantastic idea .i will dig out my witness names and e.mail you susie

susie manterfield(high wycombe)

susie manterfield(high wycombe) Report 31 Oct 2003 13:12

george tried to get onto your site but web page not available susie

Georgina

Georgina Report 31 Oct 2003 13:16

Thanks for the replies. But ought to say, maybe no marriages before 1950 as should keep peoples lives relatively private!

Georgina

Georgina Report 31 Oct 2003 16:10

nudge

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Oct 2003 18:53

Georgina, do you mean no marriages AFTER 1950, for privacy reasons? I have a couple I can send you for the 1800's. Margaret

Lorna

Lorna Report 31 Oct 2003 18:57

hoping you mean before 1950's ~as thats all I have! :-)

Georgina

Georgina Report 31 Oct 2003 19:10

AFTER 1950's! - will list any info before. Will list pre compulsory registartion stuff as long as some reference is given, and if possible, a registration district?index stuff Doesn't inspire much confidence in me does it! ;) May not get to update til monday now, unless useful housemate does connecting thing for me to workmachine. But please keep sending in lists - I have a special e-mail folder ready to store them!

Georgina

Georgina Report 31 Oct 2003 20:59

Nudge

Georgina

Georgina Report 31 Oct 2003 23:28

UPDATE: My clever bloke has volunteered to help me set up a better version of this website, where you can input your own details and then do searches. Anyone who has sent me details - I will use these as a base - but I suggest no more e-mails until things are sorted. Watch this Space! George

Katinahat

Katinahat Report 1 Nov 2003 00:08

Great idea George. I'm watching this space and will send in details when the site is ready. Good luck Kathy Epsom, SRY

Georgina

Georgina Report 1 Nov 2003 18:18

By the way , a nice man at genuki pointed me to these two places: 1. http://members(.)optushome(.)com(.)au/guthrigg/mwi(.)htm this is a searchable database of marriage witnesses that you can e-mail a name at a time to search for. There are also county lists such as (northumbria): 2. ftp://ftp(.)cac(.)psu(.)edu/pub/genealogy/text/data/ukwitnbl(.)zip I still think it wpould be nice to have one where we could enter our own data and search online staraightawy. What do people think? Opinions please! george

Vanda

Vanda Report 2 Nov 2003 07:42

Yes, I agree Vanda

Margaret

Margaret Report 2 Nov 2003 10:03

I agree too. Well done Georgina Regards Margaret

Janet

Janet Report 2 Nov 2003 21:53

I'm with Patricia on this - why do you need a list of witnesses? Jan.

George

George Report 2 Nov 2003 22:03

Having a witness list may help people find lost ancestors, for example if someone has an ancestor Tom Skirby who lived most of his life in Whitby then suddenly vanishes from local records. That genealogist might look at the witness and see that a Tom Skirby witnessed a marriage in Hull. That genealogist would have a great new lead. See what I mean George

Georgina

Georgina Report 3 Nov 2003 10:31

Tnere are many reasons for looking at the marriage witnesses. Witnesses are often related to either the bride or groom. This gives further evidence to family groups, especially for any pre 1837 if they are listed then, and also if the witness's relation is known by other evidence then its a good indication that they are still alive!! Its a good indication that anyone was still around really. Some people have also mentioned that those in Durham who were witnesses than got married themselves. Finally as George (Sales) says, its a good way to see where your ancestors moved around, and the geographical spread of a particular surname other the years.

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Nov 2003 10:41

Hi, Any suggestions as to how I get the little squiggle before phy, in the website address. Hubbys changed the keyboard and I can't find it anywhere, I'm sure theres a way of getting a "list" of symbols to select. Thanks. Sarah

Steph

Steph Report 3 Nov 2003 15:02

Giving this a nudge, George, & promise to send off the info I have from about 7 marriage certs. Good luck . Steph