Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How will I please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 7 Sep 2007 12:05

If I have the details of a family member Susan ? Susannah Stanford from the Surrey 1841 census as being aged 65 and the head of the family, how do I now find her marriage/birth please. Am I right in thinking I need to look at the parish records and is there any way of doing this online.
Thanks
Di

ceri

ceri Report 7 Sep 2007 12:14

It would be Parish records you would find her as the records online only start from 1837!
However, if you are lucky someone may have birth/marriges/deaths on CD for Surrey and maybe able to search for you, or you may find that someone on here will be willing to locate you rellies for you when they visit the parish themselves.

Ceri

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Sep 2007 12:18

This is going to be a tricky one for you..........Susan was not born in Surrey, so your first problem is finding out in which county she was born.

Her death cert should say she was the 'widow of', which may help with tracing her marriage.

Have you looked at the IGI for the births of Eliza and Elizabeth?

One assumes they are her daughters.......but there is no way of knowing for sure, as 1841 does not list relationships.

Did either of them marry? The cert(s) would give their father's name and occupation.............

Reg

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 7 Sep 2007 12:19

Ceri
Thank you. I was hoping I might be able to buy the CD myself but don't know how to go about getting one. There are so many sites offering information I don't know which one to choose. It would be really nice if someone could do a search for me though as I live in N Wales.
Any news of the baby yet by the way!
Di

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Sep 2007 12:29

This will make things a little easier..........1851

Name: Susan Stanford
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1772
Relation: Head
Where born: Heston, Middlesex, England

Civil Parish: Richmond
Ecclesiastical parish: St John
County/Island: Surrey

Registration district: Richmond
Sub-registration district: Richmond
ED, institution, or vessel: 2g
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 26
Household Members: Name Age
Jane Coulston 23
Elizabeth Stanford 55 Invalid
Authur Stanford 18 Grandson
Eliza Stanford 50 Invalid
Susan Stanford 79

So, now you have her birth year and birthplace...most marriages took place in the bride's parish......so you might be able to trace hers on the IGI

This may well be her death...........

Name: Susannah Stanford
Year of Registration: 1855
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Richmond Sry
County: Surrey
Volume: 2a
Page: 115

Reg

ceri

ceri Report 7 Sep 2007 12:32

Hi Faith
Not yet, she stubborn i think and doesnt want to come and say hello!!! My partner is getting so annoyed bless him!!

Do you know if your Susan/Susannah is on the 1851/1861 census at all?

Ceri

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 7 Sep 2007 12:34

Reg
Thank you. I only gave the info for 1841 as I thought I had all the info needed but now her birth county is given as Middlesex in 1851 I'll look at the IGI.
Di

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 7 Sep 2007 12:38

Ceri she's on both.
Aged 69 in 1841 and 79 in 1851and birth county is given as Middlesex. She is a Cowkeeper and I know from other sources is linked to my Stanford Dairy clan!!!
Don't envy you with the wait for the baby, but it will all be worthwhile (she says with a 28 and 26 year old still living at home)
Di

ceri

ceri Report 7 Sep 2007 12:46

Dont envy you with a 28 yr old and 26yr old still living at home, lol! Bless them!
Although i bet its nice, to have them still there...well at least sometimes!!

Was she on 1861, or had she died between the two census's do you know?

Ceri

ceri

ceri Report 7 Sep 2007 12:52

Faith
I just done a search on the thread boards for Middlesex parish records and the following person was offering look ups as he had them on disk it maybe worth contacting him and asking if he is still willing to do the look ups:

His name is Kevin Tedder.

Ceri

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 7 Sep 2007 13:00

Hi Ceri
I will contact Kevin. Thanks for the suggestion. No she died before 1871 and I think Reg has given me the death but I need to confirm.

Both sons left home and returned 6 months later an no I don't spoil them, they do own cooking washing etc and have done their own ironing since aged 11.
Di

ceri

ceri Report 7 Sep 2007 13:10

lol
Good on them, so they should!! lol, my god, my partner didnt move out from his mums until he was 22 and he didnt even know how to turn a cooker on, let alone cook, he thought a iron was an ornament that the faries occasionally came in and used and well as for a washing machine... dont even go there!!

I soon changed things on that front...although in the 3 years we have lived together... it think the only thing he has managed to cook without burning...was spaghetti on toast for my 2 year olds lunch!!! Must remember to give him more lessons in that area especially with new baby on the way!!! I myself moved out from my parents when i was 16years old and had my own house from 19years old!! lol

Ceri

kaz

kaz Report 7 Sep 2007 13:18

Faith

Came across this birth in Surrey for a Betsy Stanford even though i put in Eliza in the name box, mother is Susannah. any good?

BETSY STANFORD Pedigree
Female

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 31 JUL 1836 Chessington, Surrey, England

Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: THO. STONER STANFORD Family
Mother: SUSANNAH

kaz

kaz Report 7 Sep 2007 13:23

If what i sent before is off use then im wondering if this could be the marriage of the said couple?

THOMAS STOVER STANFORD Pedigree
Male Family

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: SUSANNAH SMITH Family
Marriage: 10 MAY 1829 Ewell, Surrey, England

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 7 Sep 2007 13:29

Kaz
Thank you. I will check this out as Eliza and Elizabeth wer both daughter's of Susannah. One born about 1796 and one about1801 on looking at 1851 census anyway. I'm trawling through the IGI site.
Di

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 7 Sep 2007 13:31

Ceri
I know what you mean. One sunday afternoon I asked the youngest who was 24 at the time to check the oven for me as I was sat in the garden and he was indoors. He replied 'which one is the oven' and yes he was deadly serious. lol
He now knows and I have to add that they are both keen cooks.
Di

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 7 Sep 2007 15:15

having relooked at the 2 censuses.
How can Elizabeth and Eliza be aged 36 and 35 in 1841 and then 55 and 50 in 1851 when there is only 10 years between each census. Even Susannah has aged 14 years in between them!!!
Any suggestions please.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Sep 2007 15:22

1841 census 'rounded down' to the nearest 5 the ages of all over-15's

Reg.

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 7 Sep 2007 15:30

Reg. Thank you
I'm lost now. So what range of ages am I now looking for in 1841 so I can look for their births please?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Sep 2007 15:39

Susannah isn't a problem - age-wise - the difference is within the proscribed range.........so look for her baptism c1772. (Once you find her maiden name!)

Both daughters could have been aged up to 40 in 1841........but there is still a discrepancy. However, people were not as sure of their birth info in those days, so you have to allow a fair bit of leeway.

Reg