Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why don't people reply when they have posted a req

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 26 Sep 2007 16:58

Getting really miffed about folks who post requests and never acknowledge that they have seen replies that I have spent hours researching.

The least they could do is check back and read what has been posted and acknowledge it,is it because they have multiple posted and got the result elsewhere???

Mary

Marjorie

Marjorie Report 26 Sep 2007 17:01

I agree with you Mary, I always thank everyone who does look up for me ,
Marjorie

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 26 Sep 2007 17:04

I agree with you too, Mary. I'm always quick to reply as so grateful. Carolyn

Christine in Yorkshire

Christine in Yorkshire Report 26 Sep 2007 17:04

I agree it's bad mannered Mary

I too always thank people as I really appreciate the help.

Christine

Dionne

Dionne Report 26 Sep 2007 17:16

Dear Mary

I to agree with what you say. A thankyou costs nothing. It was only at the beginning of this week that I decided to help my father find out about his 'root's and my mother information on her grandfather. In a few days we have found out so much information and are finding lots more.None of this would have been possible without the help and dedication from members at this site and yourself.
So I again would like to say a BIG BIG thankyou to all that have assisted me and are still doing so. I think you are a wonderful group of people and I know it takes alot of your time and effort to help with the searches.
Thankyou

Margaret

Margaret Report 26 Sep 2007 17:20

I always thank a 'researcher' when they have tried to help me. I normally do it as soon as I have read the info - the only exception being if it is late at night, I've gone to bed and not seen the info till the next morning... then I immediately get in touch to say thank you. It is the very least you can do when so many people go out of their way to help you past those numerous stumbling blocks.

(¯`*•.¸Scousenana.•*´¯)

(¯`*•.¸Scousenana.•*´¯) Report 26 Sep 2007 17:38

I always post a thank you to whoever has helped me, after all, they have spent their time and energy doing the work, so it's only good manners to acknowledge that help.
Without all the help i have received on here i doubt i would have got as far as i have.
So a huge round of applause to all the researchers.
Thank you all.

Jean

Vera

Vera Report 26 Sep 2007 17:44

Hi Mary,
I absolutely agree with you....it happens time and again......
Although a lot do come back to you.......there are those who don't !!!!

Regards Vera

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 26 Sep 2007 17:58

To be fair I find most folk who I help do come back & with a thanks however there is the odd one that doesn't acknowledge the work that's been done.

I saw one only yesterday who not only didn't say thanks but posted a second thread asking for more information. They certainly didn't get the second lot of help from me!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Sep 2007 18:05

Mary, oh how I agree with you!!

I wonder how many people post requests, then either don't come back, or don't know how to find their original thread??

I THINK I would prefer to think that is what is happening than that there are so many rude bad-mannered people around!

I also sometimes wonder how many newbies think that the help is given by GR staff and is part of the membership fee, so they don't have to say thank you?

Mind you ............... I was always taught to say thank you to anyone who helped me, whether they were being paid to do it or not!

sylvia

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 Sep 2007 18:20

If they do not acknowledge the help given then I put the names & membership number on a list and will not help them again.

Maureen

1949er

1949er Report 26 Sep 2007 18:21

Hi Mary
Great thread and I totally agree with you. It takes time to look up information for anyone and most of us do it because we love to help, a thank you would be much appreciated. Sometimes I feel like sending them a PM asking if they received the info!!!

Wendy

cadbury creme egg,,.....mmmm

cadbury creme egg,,.....mmmm Report 26 Sep 2007 18:54

hello mary
i have had help in the past from the kind people on this site and have always said a big thankyou whether they have managed to find info or not,

but, i also spend a lot of time just reading peoples requests and have often seen no thankyou given from the poster.

thankyou does not cost a thing ...

regards
stacy

Mary

Mary Report 26 Sep 2007 22:56

Thanks to all who replied,its good to know that I am not just a "Grumpy Old Woman" and that the majority of people do have the so called old fashioned values of politeness and courtesy.

And yes I have PMd folks asking if they have seen the message and yes I too have a little list that contains names and numbers of members that I will never ever help again.

I do this because I enjoy "the thrill of the chase" and it gives me great satisfaction to be able to break down someone's brick wall.

Thanks again all
Mary

foggyman

foggyman Report 27 Sep 2007 10:04

I am new to this and being a pensioner living a long way from the records I need I would be very grateful and respond to any assistance given to me.I am limited on what I can afford to spend on and looking at this site gives me a lot of faith in that there are still a lot of human beings prepared to put their selves out to help others. My I say thanh you all on behalf of the male species of this planet earth.
Mike

Julie

Julie Report 27 Sep 2007 10:10

I agree Mary.
I cant get on internet everyday but I do look thorugh my threads and always acknowledge help and often offer an essex Look up in return.

I wonder if some dont know there is a MY THREADS button.

Julie

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 27 Sep 2007 10:53

I also cannot understand why people don't say thank you but it isn't only on this site where it happens.

I typed in a lot of info for someone on another site and saved census images but they have never replied, even after sending a pm to them.

I don't have Ancesty at the moment and am always so grateful for any lookups given but we are not all the same unfortunately.

Christine

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Sep 2007 11:07

I think the failure to offer thanks is symptomatic of today's 'I want it.....and I want it NOW' society.

I suspect that the majority of the ones who are failing to say thank you - and, incidentally, 'please' when they ask for help - are not of my generation. (I'm an OAP)

There may also be a few who don't realise that lookups are done by other GR members....at their own expense.............they are - perhaps - under the misguided impression that GR have a well-paid research team. Not that that excuses the bad manners........it is still common courtesy to say 'thank you'

Reg

alviegal

alviegal Report 27 Sep 2007 11:45

I agree totally. I'm at the proverbial Brick Wall with lots of my ancestors and love helping others who either have not the resources I have, or else have just not been able to find what they're looking for.
I get a thrill when I hear if I've helped someone move on and discover more about their family and I've received some very moving pms.
I've also received thanks from most people and a lot of times I've been on the wrong track but at least I've been acknowledged.
The minority who don't reply are very frustrating and bad mannered and I also have a list of names that i won't help out any more.

Liz

Mary

Mary Report 27 Sep 2007 11:45

Hi All
Again many thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread.

I agree with all of the sentiments expressed and as usual Reggie just about sums it all up.

Those of us who offer help do not do it because we want to receive high praise but because we genuinely want to help.

Yesterday I did a lookup for a member and the info I found resulted in that member realising she was looking for completely the wrong family.

It is that sort of result that makes me carry on helping folks despite the ignorant and inconsiderate few.

Mary