Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rudeness

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 20 Nov 2007 23:58

Once again it's worth pointing out that the people that man these boards are volunteers. Some sit here for hours on end trying their best to help anyone that needs assistance. It's very rare for a thread to be posted without a reply even if it does read "sorry I can't help"
This is done willingly & without payment in fact it's done at considerable cost to themselves.
They are NOT GR staff, in fact they still pay subscription to GR although in my mind this is something GR should address.
NONE of these voluntees should have to put up with rude or sarcastic comments like I have witnessed here tonight.
My apologies to the vast majority of people who are grateful for any assistance they receive.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 21 Nov 2007 00:00

Ooh hope it was not me LOL

Obviously missed something again

Maureen

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 21 Nov 2007 00:05

GB it could never be you, you are one of several that put in the most effort!

Jackie

Jackie Report 21 Nov 2007 00:09

Hi Claire

I've missed this, I thought it was really quiet tonite

Dee x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 21 Nov 2007 00:39

I'm the same, I haven't seen anything rude. Am I missing all the action?
Margaret

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 21 Nov 2007 00:45

I missed it too, am very greatful to all those who have given their time to me(to many to mention but I hope you know who you are) and alway's thank them (as I'm sure most do) even if it take's a while.
Without people here, would not be as far with my tree.

Thankyou,

Misty xx

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 21 Nov 2007 01:08

hi

i have a thread on here to do look ups for america canada i always find people most grateful even when i cant find their rellies.

can you enlighten us?

lorraine

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Nov 2007 02:59

Ah, guys, it wasn't as bad as it sounds. Newbie sloppiness, followed by some crossed wires ...

People ought not to post the same question in multiple forums, thus prompting multiple people to do the same thing. Since there are really no instructions for how to use these bleeding boards, and it's impossible to tell where the right place is to ask various kinds of questions, we can't really blame them. I have no clue where I'd post my own questions, if I decide to post any, really.

A regular volunteer's alert to other readers that the question appeared on other boards was read by the original poster as a criticism. It was really intended as an alert to potential volunteers, but I did then point out that it's unfair to do this, even if a newbie doesn't realize it ...

I'm so tired of the failure of this site's management to manage its site. People "volunteer" (what is this, a charity? I don't think so) and instead of facilitating their efforts and instructing other users on how to use the site, which would result in volunteers being treated with a little more courtesy than is often the case now (by users who post requests and then simply never bother to read or acknowledge the answers), the management just sits back and ignores requests for some managing to be done.

So I've posted a rant ...

I'm a 'Helping Hand" & sick of being exploited

... on this board. Will it be here in the a.m.?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Nov 2007 03:23

As the one who was on the receiving end of the sarcastic comment, I agree with Kath ....... a newbie sloppiness combined with misunderstanding!

He did subsequently close 2 of the 3 threads!

I must admit I was a little taken aback when I returned to the boards to read his response to my alert ...... but still, it's over and done with!

sylvia.

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 21 Nov 2007 03:34

Hi Sylvia,

He must have mis-interpreted what you said. I've never known you to be anything but kind and helpful.

I've made the same suggestions to newbies myself so I know that your suggestion made good sense. Duplicate look-ups can be very time consuming and frustrating for the volunteers.

Deb:)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Nov 2007 03:59

Deb,

Thank you for that! I do try to be kind and helpful.

He thought it a "cold response" to his query.

Plus, he thought different people helped on different threads, so a post on each thread would be bound to get a response. He didn't seem to appreciate Kath's comment that this was unfair to other searchers. Or a remark that he should respond to postings!

Just another newbie

sylvia

Nathanael

Nathanael Report 21 Nov 2007 12:43

No, not just another newbie. Been a member for 4½ years!

I believe this was aimed partly at me!

NB. I've had one post on this thread removed already.

As I say, Kathryn was very nice about the way she put her advice. And she was the one offering the help.

Thank you again Kathryn!

Nathanael

Nathanael Report 21 Nov 2007 12:56

Sylvia, apologies for misinterpreting your response! Btw. I did appreciate Kathryn's comment... Not with you on the other bit though: "Or a remark that he should respond to postings!"

Hugs,
Nathanael

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Nov 2007 19:23

Nathanael

Thank you for the apology.

It is accepted with thanks.

I am sorry for describing you as a newbie.

But it was based on the fact that I have been using this site since 2003, and have been using whatever talent I have to help people on these boards for almost 2 years, and I have never before seen your name.

Ergo, I assumed you must be a newbie ............. at least a newbie to the boards.

sylvia

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Nov 2007 19:32

I'm a newbie to the boards!

I found my very first long-lost far-flung cousin here at GR nearly 3 years ago. And have found a dozen or more since then. Never occurred to me that there were boards where I could fritter away my time ... until just a few weeks ago.

I think in my case, since I wasn't looking for help with anything myself, and since I do have a decade of experience playing on mainly very well managed political-discussion type boards, I've looked through sort of a bystander's eye and seen a trainwreck. Just been appalled at the disorganization and neglect -- again, not on the part of the users ...

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Nov 2007 19:39

Hi Kathryn

I've been a member of GR since 2003, have not found too much of my own family on here although I have provided lots to distant members of my family! I started posting on these boards about 2 years ago, looking for a means to use some of my expertise (and my subscriptions to other sites).

I think there is a lot of reorganization that could be done.

But to be perfectly honest, I am also a member of Friends Reunited, largely because of the Message Boards they used to have, and now post on Friends Reunited Connections.

They ALL have similar problems with disorganization! Lots of people on those sites say how much better other sites run, and that changes need to be made.

Will it ever happen?

Who knows?

Every time one of the sites "updates", we seem to end up with more problems than before!

I'm somewhat of a pessimist about it.

sylvia
(in sunny cold Vancouver)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Nov 2007 19:48

What's happened to Claire's other thread?

I only posted on it a few minutes ago, and now it's gone.

sylvia

Heather

Heather Report 21 Nov 2007 20:09

Powers that be have removed it?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Nov 2007 20:12

Heather

I did wonder!

sylvia

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 21 Nov 2007 20:14

No it wasn't the powers that be, it was ME!

Sylvia said something about putting the matter to rest so I deleted.

I kept this one going as it hadn't run quite the same way but will delete if anyone wishes me to.