Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Willing to do West Sussex Parish Registers look up

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrew

Andrew Report 12 Dec 2007 14:30

Please give as much detail as possible e.g. full names, parish and dates and I'll do my best.

I will be viewing fiche in my local library on Friday 14th

Look forward to repaying some of the help I have been given on this site.

Andy

Andrew

Andrew Report 12 Dec 2007 17:32

nudge

Irene

Irene Report 13 Dec 2007 01:28

Hi Andy

Thank you very much for the kind offer. I am looking for the birth of Kate Taylor and her sister Charlotte. Daughters of James William and Caroline Taylor. They would have been born abt 1848-1858. Possible birth areas could be Arundel, Chichester, East Grinstead and Worthing. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Irene
NZ

GenieAngel

GenieAngel Report 13 Dec 2007 09:03

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the offer .If you have the time could you please look for the marriage of James Stokes to Maria Teesdale their first child was born in Broadwater by Worthing in 1824

Thank you
Liz

Elizabeth Anne

Elizabeth Anne Report 13 Dec 2007 09:07

Hi Andy,
Thank you very much for your kind offer.

If you have time please could you look for the birth of Mary Wady born circa 1811, Worthing, Sussex. I would love to know who her parents were.

Mary married George Coote(s) 1833, St. Nicholas, Brighton. Mary died 1878, Brighton Sussex.

Thank you very much. Elizabeth Anne

Julie

Julie Report 13 Dec 2007 11:35

Thanks for the offer Andrew

Can you try to find anything out about Thomas Daw and Dorothy Pierce who married at St Thomas, Lewes 31 Dec 1751 but their daughter ann was born abt 1752 Hoathley West Sussex
Any other info about Ann's siblings or if you find the marriage any witnesses etc would be much appreciated.

Thank you for any help
Julie

Andrew

Andrew Report 13 Dec 2007 14:46

Hi Elizabeth Ann,

I looked on family search and found the baptism of Mary Wadey 24th Dec 1809 at BROADWATER which is part of Worthing. Her parents were JOHN WADEY and ELIZABETH

There is a listing for a wedding between JOHN WADEY and ELIZABETH HEATHER on 15th May 1807 at St Nicholas Brighton

Hope all this is what you need.
Get back to me if not.
Regards,
Andy

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 13 Dec 2007 17:39

Hi Andrew, if it's not too late to ask...looking for any additional information (witnesses, etc.) for...

William "Vous" marrying Betty Francis, 16-Mar-1748, Itchingfield, Sussex.

(William was living in Shipley, Sussex by 1752 and he was a farmer and church warden. His surname was typically spelled Vaux and then Vaus in later years. I know a lot about his family after 1749, but nothing before the above marriage.)

Also, would you know how to find out anything about Betty/Bettie Francis? I don't think I can go further on her side, as I don't know her date of birth, nor her parents.

Thank you very much. Lisa

Andrew

Andrew Report 13 Dec 2007 20:08

nudge

Corinne

Corinne Report 13 Dec 2007 20:22

Hello Lisa

My name is Corinne and I live only 2 miles from St Nicolas Church in Itchingfield, West Sussex. Can I be of any assistance? The Francis family are well know in Itchingfield and Barns Green the neighbouring village. The Francis family also have relatives in Warnham which again is only a few miles from Shipley. If I can help you or Andy in any way let me know through Genes Reunited site.

Corinne Muggeridge

Maisy

Maisy Report 13 Dec 2007 20:54

Hello Andrew, thanks for your offer.

Could you possible look for the marriage of William Brown and Ann Wicks. I have they married Dec Qtr 1850 in Worthing and they lived in Broadwater, Sussex. I'd like to know the fathers names and the witnesses if at all possible.

Thanks
Maisy

Elizabeth Anne

Elizabeth Anne Report 13 Dec 2007 22:11

Hi Andy,

Thank you for pointing out the baptism of Mary Wadey,24th Dec 1809 at Broadwater on family search.

To be truthful I had found this reference before but did not realize Broadwater belonged to Worthing and as Mary`s birth was always noted as 1811 on census I must admit I ignored this entry.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Regards, Elizabeth Anne - Germany

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 13 Dec 2007 22:55

Andrew: Thank you very much for your kind offer. If I may ask that you do look for the "Vous"/Francis marriage, in case there might be additional information, please? I will ask Corinne about the Francis side. Thank you again.

Corinne:
Thank you very much! The Vaus' mean a lot to me for various (and to others, boring) reasons. I would love to learn more about either William's earlier life, or that of his wife, Betty/Betty. I do have a (poor) copy of William's will; I know the names of their children, as well as other information. I do not know if it's possible to find Bettie's birth. Any suggestions most welcome! May I ask that you pm me, so that we don't take over Andrew's thread? Thank you so much, again. PS The Vaus' were mostly in Shipley and Horsham.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 14 Dec 2007 09:08

Andrew

If I am not too late my I please take you up on your kind offer.

Frances Stredwick
Baptism 24 March 1799 at Coombes
Father..Richard Stredwick Mother...Elizabeth

If you are able to view the actual image of the register then I am hoping there may be additional details.

Many thanks
Chris

Andrew

Andrew Report 14 Dec 2007 16:33

Hi Ann,

I looked for the birth of William King in the Bersted baptisms but I could not find him.

The handwritten microfiche copies were very faint but I did not see a KING.

The next time I am at the West Sussex Records Office, I'll ask to see the original register.

Sorry not to be able to help you.

Incidentally, the records were under South Bersted and Bognor.

Regards,
Andy

Andrew

Andrew Report 14 Dec 2007 16:57

Hi Irene,

Is there any chance you can narrow this search for me as all the places you name are quite big. I looked on freebmd & found a birth record for a KATE ELIZABETH TAYLOR Dec quarter 1856 at East Grinstead 2b 117. Is this any use?

Any finer details would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Andy

Andrew

Andrew Report 14 Dec 2007 17:00

Hi Liza & Alicia in NZ,

I looked for the marriage of James Stokes to Maria Teesdale in the Worthing (Broadwater) registers but there was only one Teesdale listed and that was HESTER TEESDALE. I'll ask a friend if she can look on the Sussex Marriage Index for you.

Sorry I couldn't be more hepful.

Regards,
Andy

Andrew

Andrew Report 14 Dec 2007 17:04

Hi Julie,

I was unable to locate any detail of the marriage of Thomas Daw and Dorothy Pierce for you.
When I next go to Chichester, I will ask to ee the original registers as some of the fiche were very feint.

Sorry I couldn't help this time.
Regards,
Andy

Andrew

Andrew Report 14 Dec 2007 17:11

Hi Maisy,

Yours is good news! I located the marriage of WILLIAM BROWN and ANN WICKS 4th (or 9th) November 1850. William was a shoemaker and his father, THOMAS BROWN was a Sawyer.
Ann's father was WILLIAM WICKS and he was a painter The witnesses were JOHN ROLF or (RELF) ELLEN/COLLEEN WICKS.
This was difficult to read but it definitiely had double ll in the middle.
If you look on the 1851 census for these names you may find them in Worthing.

Hope this has been of help to you.
Regards,
Andy

Andrew

Andrew Report 14 Dec 2007 17:15

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, I did not see your message in time, but it's not a problem, I can soon go again.
Bear with me and I will look when I'm next there.
Regards,
Andy